Sub-Mariner (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films

Empire Admin -> Sub-Mariner (7/2/2007 2:17:48 PM)

Post your comments on this article

Timon -> Sub-Mariner or Aquaman? (7/2/2007 2:17:48 PM)

The Sub-Mariner is the MARVEL equivalent of DC's Aquaman who is heading for his spot in the surf after DC's Aquaman series with Ving Rhames was cancelled and the hero's role reduced to guest spots on Smallville.

However despite Jonathan Mostow (U571, T3) set to direct Sub-Mariner, those Aquaman movie rumours are continuing although with McG set to direct after failing to bag Superman. And it's all because of the genius show that is Entourage!

According to the Los Angeles Times, an Aquaman film could become a reality despite the CW (WB and UPN) rejecting the TV pilot.

A film based on DC Comics' King of Atlantis is the central plot element of James Cameron's Entourage. "But now, informal talks have been launched about the feasibility of making a real Warner Bros. 'Aquaman' movie," the L.A. Times says. "In one of the strangest twists of this life-imitating-art tale, the talent agent at the center of the informal 'Aquaman' talks is Ari Emanuel, the brassy Endeavor partner on whom 'Entourage' agent Ari Gold is based."

Although Warner Bros. told the paper it's not currently developing an Aquaman feature film, four people confirmed talks are underway to secure the film rights for McG to direct. The director's agents refused to comment.

"It's obviously very flattering," says Doug Ellin, the creator of "Entourage" who came up with the "Aquaman" plot. "We sort of made an 'Aquaman' movie a believable possibility."

When Al Gough and Miles Millar's Aquaman pilot debuted on iTunes last week, it quickly became the service's most downloaded video, Apple said. Last season's episode of Smallville that featured Aquaman was the season's highest-rated episode, the paper notes.

A TV series could still be a long shot, Gough said. And, "an 'Aquaman' movie may be even more of a longshot. A feature film would involve costly special effects and might call for long segments filmed under and on the water, a feat tough enough to almost derail both 'Titanic' and 'Waterworld.' What's more, comic book fans know Aquaman as a member of the Justice League or the Super Friends where the King of the Seven Seas, as he is also known, plays second fiddle to Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman," the paper said.

Good news, but McG?! Also I hear rumours they want to make it a comedy with possible either Mark Whalberg or Josh Lucas in the lead role.

Personally, they should give the project to someone like Cameron like in Entourage and maybe THIS will become a reality.

Vincent Chase for Aquaman!

Sheamus -> RE: Sub-Mariner or Aquaman? (7/2/2007 3:00:37 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

The Sub-Mariner is the MARVEL equivalent of DC's Aquaman...

Other way around... Namor debuted in 1939. Aquaman in 1941. :)

Sub-Mariner actually appeared in Marvel Comics #1, which was produced by Timely Comics who were Marvel before they were Marvel.

Just, you know, nitpicking while trying to avoid looking geeky and all that. (And I didn't really know this; I had to check the dates up on Wiki but I did recall Sub-Mainer being out before DC ripped him off with that shocking, clearly gay imitation.)

Entourage is a great show but if Aquaman ever sees the light of day it's a farce - he's one of the worst superheroes ever created and was suitably dismissed on Dr Katz, all those years ago, alongside other rubbish creations by DC.)

Timon -> RE: Sub-Mariner or Aquaman? (7/2/2007 3:10:08 PM)

Well i just got schooled......

Thanks for the lesson.

James Cameron managed to make it look good though.

Sheamus -> RE: Sub-Mariner or Aquaman? (7/2/2007 3:11:36 PM)

Ah, I was going out of my way not to seem 'out of order'. Curse my untamed offensiveness. [:D]

jimbo909 -> RE: Sub-Mariner or Aquaman? (8/2/2007 3:33:07 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sheamus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

The Sub-Mariner is the MARVEL equivalent of DC's Aquaman...

Other way around... Namor debuted in 1939. Aquaman in 1941. :)

Sub-Mariner actually appeared in Marvel Comics #1, which was produced by Timely Comics who were Marvel before they were Marvel.

Just, you know, nitpicking while trying to avoid looking geeky and all that. (And I didn't really know this; I had to check the dates up on Wiki but I did recall Sub-Mainer being out before DC ripped him off with that shocking, clearly gay imitation.)

Er, I actually did know this. The original Human Torch was on the cover. Hey, don't worry! It's OK to be a geek in Empire land. I haven't had the 'school bullies' round to beat me up yet.

jimbo909 -> RE: Sub-Mariner or Aquaman? (8/2/2007 8:58:40 PM)

Man, I had elaberated on the above comment a great deal with some worthy comments but the site fucked-up and the changes were lost! Now I'm too druck to remember what I wrote! I may try again tomorrow.

sanchia -> Re: Sub-Mariner or Aquaman (8/2/2007 9:17:23 PM)

Namor has little wings on his ankles and is far more an anti hero than Aquaman swinging from a heroic individual to a villainous one so may be a more interesting character. In fact I think he's declared war on the surface a few times including flooding New York using whales and undersea turbines (actually appeared in the comic way back). Although his scaley speedo's and elf ears may not go down to well and he is still a rubbish character.

[image]http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/7231/submarinerpt4.gif[/image]

jimbo909 -> RE: Re: Sub-Mariner or Aquaman (9/2/2007 11:11:19 AM)

Which studio has the rights to Sub-Mariner, anyway?

sanchia -> RE: Re: Sub-Mariner or Aquaman (9/2/2007 2:19:28 PM)

Apparently it was Universal back in 2004 when Chris Columbus was slated to direct, he was supposed to start work on it when he finished Rent but no sign yet.

Apparently the Director is now Jonathon Mostow which could be good as both Breakdown and The Game had a nice dark edge to them which would compliment the character although Terminator 3 stunk a lot and U571 wasn't much better.

Timon -> RE: Re: Sub-Mariner or Aquaman (9/2/2007 2:21:05 PM)

The Game was David Fincher

jimbo909 -> RE: Re: Sub-Mariner or Aquaman (10/2/2007 8:52:16 AM)

All the MARVEL movies so far have been set in the present day. I suppose it would make budgets too high if these films were big action/CG spectacles and period pieces. I think a property like Fantastic Four would have benifited from a retro, sixties setting (also better casting for Sue and handling Dr. Doom properly). Similarly, A Sub-Mariner movie would work better set in the 40's. I mean if there really was a lost city of Atlantis James Cameron would have found it by now. Consider the King Kong 70's set re-make and Peter Jackson's version. The only advantage story-wise to setting everything in the present day is the opportunity for superhero team-ups (Spidey meets The Human Torch, Hulk Vs Wolverine etc), that will never happen because all the character's rights are owned by different studios.

Another problem with the Sub-Mariner is that his costume is just a pair of green speedos.

Beno -> RE: Sub-Mariner (1/3/2007 8:59:34 PM)

Heard that "The Rock" is gonna play Submariner, could work, hes walked around in trunks
before anyhoo.

Timon -> RE: Re: Sub-Mariner or Aquaman (2/3/2007 12:08:32 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jimbo909

All the MARVEL movies so far have been set in the present day. I suppose it would make budgets too high if these films were big action/CG spectacles and period pieces. I think a property like Fantastic Four would have benifited from a retro, sixties setting (also better casting for Sue and handling Dr. Doom properly). Similarly, A Sub-Mariner movie would work better set in the 40's. I mean if there really was a lost city of Atlantis James Cameron would have found it by now.

Oooh i like that idea.

Sub-Mariner taking on Nazi U-Boats during The Battle of the Atlantic!

Metalion -> RE: Sub-Mariner (2/3/2007 6:36:48 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Beno

Heard that "The Rock" is gonna play Submariner, could work, hes walked around in trunks
before anyhoo.

The Rock as Namor? Yeah, that could work, but I wonder how you could transfer The Sub-Mariner to the present. I think he should be left alone, especially since he doesn't like us surface dwellers.

Timon -> RE: Sub-Mariner (15/5/2007 12:10:32 PM)

According to Aintitcool, Universal is lining up David Boreanz (Angel, Bones) as Namor.

Make or that what you will.

Adrian -> (13/9/2007 6:04:19 PM)

i just saw that on IMDb too timon. actually a good idea i think. The Rock (should he not jus be called Dwayne Johnson by now?)'d be too big for Namor. And it isnt like Boreanz cant do the action thing.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
4.785156E-02