The Pacific (Full Version)

All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen

Timon -> The Pacific (11/11/2005 11:41:13 AM)

Spielberg has recently said that Tom Hanks and himself are currently working on a 10-part mini-series which will tell the stories of America's battle with the Japanese in the Pacific during World War II.

The 'Berg is at the moment a producer on Eastwood's Flags Of Our Fathers, so i'm sure he'll be able to use the props from that.

If this is only half as good as Band Of Brothers, it will be amazing so i can't wait.

Timon -> RE: The Pacific War - Band Of Brothers In The Pacific (10/4/2006 2:07:31 PM)

Has there been anymore progress on this series?

Zatoichi -> RE: The Pacific War - Band Of Brothers In The Pacific (10/4/2006 2:33:29 PM)

Hopefully, we won't see any all-mighty American bravado.

Vertigo...Woo.Yay. -> RE: The Pacific War - Band Of Brothers In The Pacific (10/4/2006 2:44:34 PM)

Whilst a certain amount of 'allied omission' can be levelled at the first BoB, the Pacific theatre was much more  primarily US affair, so I think the accusation of  possible 'American bravado' is rather unfair there.

Timon -> RE: The Pacific War - Band Of Brothers In The Pacific (10/4/2006 3:31:20 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vertigo...Woo.Yay.

Whilst a certain amount of 'allied omission' can be levelled at the first BoB, the Pacific theatre was much more  primarily US affair, so I think the accusation of  possible 'American bravado' is rather unfair there.

Tell that to the British troops that fought in Singapore, India and other parts of the Far East. Not to mention the Aussies, Kiwis and Canadians.

___ -> RE: The Pacific War - Band Of Brothers In The Pacific (11/4/2006 1:13:18 AM)

It'll be interesting to see how they deal with the strategic bombing of Japan.

Vertigo...Woo.Yay. -> RE: The Pacific War - Band Of Brothers In The Pacific (11/4/2006 10:54:23 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

quote:

Tell that to the British troops that fought in Singapore, India and other parts of the Far East. Not to mention the Aussies, Kiwis and Canadians.

That's why I said 'primarily' rather than 'exclusively'. D-Day was much more an allied offensive, which makes the lack of Brit, Canadian, Polish etc interaction stand out. The War in the Pacific, as in Guadalcanal (which is what I gather the series will focus on) rather than India, Singapore and the Burma railroad, was primarily a US offensive.

Timon -> RE: The Pacific War - Band Of Brothers In The Pacific (11/4/2006 3:42:46 PM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

quote:

That's why I said 'primarily' rather than 'exclusively'. D-Day was much more an allied offensive, which makes the lack of Brit, Canadian, Polish etc interaction stand out. The War in the Pacific, as in Guadalcanal (which is what I gather the series will focus on) rather than India, Singapore and the Burma railroad, was primarily a US offensive.

I know, i was just being difficult.[:D]

The Pie -> RE: The Pacific War - Band Of Brothers In The Pacific (12/4/2006 11:47:56 AM)

Having had a quick look on the website I wouldn't hold my breath for this series. The discussion boards seem to have quite a lot of speculation, but little hard fact. The last official news posted dates back to March 2005!

This series doesn't appear to even be in any sort of pre-production and would undoubtedly take the best part of a year (at least) to film.

All things considered I don't think we'll see this until c. 2008, if we see it at all.  [:(]

Trapman9 -> RE: The Pacific War - Band Of Brothers In The Pacific (26/4/2006 11:26:41 AM)

[sm=w00t.gif]I think my head just exploded with joy and anticipation.Band of Brothers was awesome and being the WW2 junkie that i am i can hardly wait...

stuartbannerman -> RE: The Pacific War - Band Of Brothers In The Pacific (23/6/2006 4:28:05 PM)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0374463/

Still no specific release date though. but it does say 2006. and is still on Tom Hank's Filmography
Although someone did say on IMDB. "It hasn't even started pre-produciton. BoB took over 2 years to make. Excpect this for last 2008 at the very very very earliest (get your mind set on 2010 or 2011, more realistic). "

Timon -> RE: The Pacific War - Band Of Brothers In The Pacific (26/1/2007 4:37:07 PM)

Bumped for Dave Novo

Your Funny Uncle -> RE: The Pacific War - Band Of Brothers In The Pacific (26/1/2007 6:23:56 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: stuartbannerman

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0374463/

Still no specific release date though. but it does say 2006. and is still on Tom Hank's Filmography
Although someone did say on IMDB. "It hasn't even started pre-produciton. BoB took over 2 years to make. Excpect this for last 2008 at the very very very earliest (get your mind set on 2010 or 2011, more realistic). "

I can wait as long as it's half as good as BoB, it will never surpass it but as long as it's good they can take their time for me.[:)]

Wedge -> RE: The Pacific War - Band Of Brothers In The Pacific (26/1/2007 6:50:09 PM)

Hope they get a move on because I loved BoB.  A BoB from a perspective of a non-allied power would have been interesting i.e. German or Japanese.

furrybastard -> RE: The Pacific War - Band Of Brothers In The Pacific (26/1/2007 6:52:34 PM)

IMDB says it's scheduled for 2009 now. That's a long time away [:(]

Castor Troy -> RE: The Pacific War - Band Of Brothers In The Pacific (26/1/2007 7:20:06 PM)

Will it be based on a real company? Will it focus on a company like Band Of Brothers or will it be more general.

It won't be the same, it just won't be. Easy Company were special, the best. Nobody can replace them.

pedros -> RE: The Pacific War - Band Of Brothers In The Pacific (27/1/2007 11:58:00 AM)

I heard it was going to be based on one of those bands of entertainers that go around keeping morale up, and that was how it was going to go through the different famous campaigns. Not sure how true this is though.

Peter Dragon -> RE: The Pacific War - Band Of Brothers In The Pacific (27/1/2007 3:12:17 PM)

Bette Midler did a movie like that if I'm not mistaken.

For the Boys, I think it was.

theram05 -> RE: The Pacific War - Band Of Brothers In The Pacific (29/1/2007 11:24:25 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Castor Troy

Will it be based on a real company? Will it focus on a company like Band Of Brothers or will it be more general.

It won't be the same, it just won't be. Easy Company were special, the best. Nobody can replace them.

Weel Easy were pretty impressive, but I'm sure theres damn fine companies out there that havent been spoken of yet.

Saying that, I cant see this series being half as good as BoB, primarily due to the fact that Pacific invasion will be far more difficult to trail and draw in the differing high points and low points. From the sounds of the USO thing, I'm not very excited, but I'm putting that down to how much I loved BoB and the inevitable comparisons.

Timon -> RE: The Pacific War - GREENLIT! (25/4/2007 10:19:49 AM)

From today's VARIETY!

HBO greenlights Spielberg mini
Project is an Asian-theater take on WWII
By STEVEN ZEITCHIK

HBO Films has greenlit "The Pacific," a WWII miniseries from "Band of Brothers" exec producers Steven Spielberg, Tom Hanks and Gary Goetzman that will serve as a kind of companion piece to that earlier project.
Production will begin in Australia this summer, with the mini to run on the net possibly in 2009.

Spielberg, Hanks and Goetzman will serve as exec producers. HBO Films will produce in association with Playtone and DreamWorks Television.

Tony To and Graham Yost are co-exec producers. Bruce McKenna is supervising producer, and Robert Schenkkan, George P. Pelecanos and Michelle Ashford are co-producers.

Project, an Asian-theater take on WWII whose title had also surfaced at one time as "The Pacific War," had been in development at the pay net.

Cast members and a director have yet to be attached.

"The Pacific" will draw on several sources of material, including Eugene Sledge's tome "With the Old Breed" and Robert Leckie's "Helmet for My Pillow."

Hugh Ambrose, son of the late historian Stephen Ambrose, will serve as a consultant on the project; Stephen Ambrose's book of the same name was the source material for "Band of Brothers."

"The Pacific" follows the stories of the two authors, as well as that of fellow Marine John Basilone, as they the fight against Japan across the entire Asian theater.

Much of the mini will be shot in Melbourne, where U.S. troops were stationed during the war.

"Band of Brothers" was a huge hit for HBO in 2001 and won six Emmys and a Golden Globe.

But despite the similarities between "The Pacific" and "Brothers," HBO Films topper Colin Callender noted that the new project will dramatize how the Asian war "profoundly differed from the European front. This was a different sort of war fighting a different sort of enemy."

After years of movies set in Europe, Hollywood has directed its WWII efforts toward Asia, as with Clint Eastwood's "Letter From Iwo Jima" last year.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSS!

ilovebeerme -> RE: The Pacific War - GREENLIT! (25/4/2007 12:52:11 PM)

Fantastic news indeed! 

theram05 -> RE: The Pacific War - GREENLIT! (25/4/2007 2:36:32 PM)

Wonderful!!!

It will of ocurse suffer from comparisons to the unrivalled BOB but still, a shoddy copy of BOB is better than most of the shit out there!

Timon -> RE: The Pacific War - GREENLIT! (25/4/2007 10:28:37 PM)

Apparantly the series budget will be $150million?!

Christ, knowing Hanks and Spielberg we're in for some epic eye candy to rival Michael Bay.
[image]http://members.cox.net/renegade_sith2/miscjunk/pearl-harbor-attack.jpg[/image]

Your Funny Uncle -> RE: The Pacific War - GREENLIT! (13/5/2007 9:50:09 PM)

Can't fucking wait![sm=happy34.gif]

Although I can't imagine how it could top Band Of Brothers [;)]

Castor Troy -> RE: The Pacific War - GREENLIT! (13/5/2007 11:51:19 PM)

It will live or die on the actors, all of which should be relatively unknown (like BoB). But I have faith.

I'll certainly miss the Nazis and the European setting, but hopefully they'll make it just as gritty as BoB, but maybe they'll go for a different style, who knows?

Timon -> RE: The Pacific War - GREENLIT! (14/5/2007 12:54:18 PM)

As they'll be filming in and around Australia, I'd expect to see familiar faces from the like of Neighbours and Home and Away trying to escape Soap-land and become American and Allied soldiers as well as the usual American/British actors.

Connor from Neighbours as a US Marine? Could happen.

GhostWriter -> RE: The Pacific War - GREENLIT! (14/5/2007 12:56:45 PM)

Is Pippa still knocking around? She'd make a great nurse. 

furrybastard -> RE: The Pacific War - GREENLIT! (14/5/2007 2:18:24 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Castor Troy

I'll certainly miss the Nazis and the European setting, but hopefully they'll make it just as gritty as BoB, but maybe they'll go for a different style, who knows?

[&:][:D]

Achtung Englander -> RE: The Pacific War - Band Of Brothers In The Pacific (14/5/2007 3:21:56 PM)

my friend's fiancee is working on it in Aussie and he is hoping to go there as well and work on it

the really odd thing is that Joss Williams (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0930998/) who does the special effects is really big in Hollywood and has done lots of really cool movies and he was my next door neighbour of 2 years and I didn't know who he was until he left. Its amazing what a small tight knit community the SFX department is

I did chat with him about Munich for about 20 mins - shame really as I would have invited him over for tea and could have had my own SFX commentary on some of his films

Timon -> RE: The Pacific: Leads Cast! (19/6/2007 11:20:58 AM)

Firstly, 'The Pacific War' is now going to be called simply 'The Pacific' and the three leads of US Marines Robert Leckie, John Basilone and Eugene Sledge have been cast. And two of them are familiar faces.

James Badge Dale, Joe Mazzello and Val Lauren have been tapped to lead the ensemble cast of HBO Films' big-budget miniseries "The Pacific," from executive producers Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg.

The 10-hour mini, a companion piece to Hanks and Spielberg's Emmy-winning 2001 World War II saga "Band of Brothers," tracks the intertwined odysseys of three U.S. Marines -- Robert Leckie (Dale), John Basilone (Lauren) and Eugene Sledge (Mazzello) -- across the vast canvas of the Pacific, from the first clash with the Japanese in the jungles of Guadalcanal to the triumphant return home after V-J Day.

"Pacific," which HBO Films is producing in association with Playtone and DreamWorks Television, starts shooting in August in Port Douglas, Australia. It will shoot there through year's end and then move to Melbourne. No airdate has yet been set for the mini, which also will air in Australia on Channel 7.

"Pacific" is based on the books "With the Old Breed" by Sledge and "Helmet for My Pillow" by Leckie, as well as original interviews conducted by the filmmakers and Hugh Ambrose, son of "Brothers" author Stephen E. Ambrose, who died in 2002. Hugh Ambrose serves as a consultant on the miniseries, which reportedly will cost nearly $200 million (HR 4/25)

For those of you who don't recognise the names - James Badge Dale played Chase Edmunds in Season 3 of 24 and was more recently in The Departed. Joseph Mazzello was a child actor who famously played Tim in Jurassic Park and cameoed in The Lost World. Looks like he never lost contact with The Berg...but then why would you?

A young N.Irish actor called Marty McCann has also bagged a role according to the BBC.

A Belfast actor has won one of the lead roles in the sequel to the hit series Band of Brothers.
The original story followed the story of paratroop unit Easy Company from training to the end of the Second World War in Europe.

For Marty McCann it is the opportunity of a lifetime, and comes on the heels of a role in Lord Attenborough's film Closing the Ring, which was filmed in Belfast.

The 23-year-old is a familiar face to fans of the BBC Northern Ireland comedy series Dry Your Eyes, where he plays a trendy young priest.

"I was lucky enough to be doing a few plays in Belfast and creating a small sort of career for myself here in the theatre and a bit of television," he said.

"I landed the role in Closing the Ring because I had met Lord Attenborough a couple of times - the producer had seen me in a play I was doing.

"From that I got my London agent and they had put me up for this audition for the Pacific."

Marty and other hopefuls were taken to California for auditions for roles in the US$150m production at Tom Hanks' studio, which turned out to be an intimidating experience.

"Hanks wasn't there but Spielberg was, and there were like 16 HBO heads behind him and they were all in silhouette," he said.

"There was this huge sort of window with the sun beating down behind them, they all looked like silhouettes, these shadows of people, which is so intimidating.

"They took us in three at at time - they sent nine of us home and there was six of us left, and I was one of the six."

Marty said that Lord Attenborough had mentioned him to Spielberg, and had even sent him a copy of Closing the Ring pre-release so he could see Marty in action.

It has been a rollercoaster for the young actor, and he said that no matter what the future brings, he was lucky to be doing a job that he loves.

"Everything just astronomically worked in my favour - the actor's dream," he said.

"I've got an audition with Spielberg, or even Attenborough, I got a chance to meet and work with them both at the age of 23, me from Belfast, from Divis Flats on the Falls Road."

It's all coming together.

Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI