Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990) (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films

Timon -> Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990) (3/1/2007 6:29:37 PM)

Forget the likes of the Power Rangers and such, for any child of the 80's there were only 2 toys that were worth their salt - Transformers and Turtles!
[image]http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B0001K2LLU.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg[/image]

My girlfriend got me the above DVD for Christmas in all its uncut glory so there's now plenty of Nunchaku action unlike when i first saw it oh so many years ago.

As superhero films go, this film sets up everything - the backstory, the characters and the villains. In 90mins, you know Leonardo is the daddy's boy and leader, Donatello is the mechanic, Raphael is the reckless headstrong rebel and Michaelangelo is the party dude.

[image]http://morejpegs1.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/Shredder1.jpg[/image]

Splinter and Shredder are all well handled as are April and Casey Jones (Elias Koteas) basically steals the film in his role.

Also, look out for Sam Rockwell as 'head punk'.

As it's produced by Golden Harvest, there's plenty of fighting and for guys in suits, the fights are really energic. They're no Tony Jaa's but it's great fun to watch. This coupled with the music such as 'Turtle Rapsody' and you're back in 1990.

Personally, the new CGI film looks a tad childish - the turtles look thin, the humans blocky and personally for a kids film, this 1990 version is quite dark. Watch young punks get beaten around, Splinter's tortured, the Turtles have to deal with losing their father and the near death of one of their own....plus the effects are rather good. Be honest, which look better.........

[image]http://www.r2-dvd.org/pics/grabs/turtles/s1.jpg[/image] or [image]http://movies.themoviebox.net/newimages2/tmnt/225x90-01.jpg[/image]

Exactly.

Castor Troy -> RE: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990) (3/1/2007 6:38:35 PM)

Is the R2 uncut?

Timon -> RE: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990) (3/1/2007 6:40:05 PM)

Yep yep.

No longer is it 'sliced and diced'

Castor Troy -> RE: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990) (3/1/2007 6:41:30 PM)

£4 - gotta be done really.

Lazy wolf eyes -> RE: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990) (3/1/2007 6:41:31 PM)

Turtle power!

An underrated classic.  I must admit I'm quite excited about the new cgi-tastic film but it will be tough to better this. (I'm actually being serious). 

Timon -> RE: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990) (3/1/2007 6:42:46 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Castor Troy

£4 - gotta be done really.

It would be rude not to.

Lazy wolf eyes -> RE: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990) (3/1/2007 7:09:31 PM)

Bargain.  Thanks for the link.

Kazuya -> RE: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990) (3/1/2007 7:46:56 PM)

Great movie. The turtle suits are completely convincing, one of my all-time favorites.

"The Shredder?"
"Maybe all that hardware's for makin' cole slaw"

jenzie -> RE: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990) (3/1/2007 9:13:47 PM)

bought the dvd a few months after it came out ..... not watched it yet[&:]

and saw it in the cinema
and have the FREAKING SOUNDTRACK!!
[:D]

Kyle_R_ -> RE: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990) (4/1/2007 3:01:45 AM)

I was no.1 fan of the turtles cartoons, but I hated the films. It just doesn't work for me when its not animated. I still have all the toys and videos kept away in my loft [:D]

Cuchulainn -> RE: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990) (4/1/2007 8:26:34 AM)

I worked on the cartoon show for almost 3 years...not only did we have to replace the nunchucks with a grappling hook (!!?!),but when the show was broadcast in the UK,the name was changed to 'Hero' Turtles...Ah,James Ferman,you mentalist...

Tech_Noir -> RE: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990) (4/1/2007 11:27:43 AM)

I always found the first movie quite emotional as a kid... Especially when the Turtles miss Splinter after he's taken. [:(]

Timon -> RE: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990) (4/1/2007 1:13:44 PM)

"God, I love being a turtle!"

Never saw Turtles II + III mainly due to the poor, poor talkback i heard about them. Can anyone confirm how bad they really are? I heard the actress who starred as April in the first film didn't return due to most of her scenes were cut out of the first and even Casey Jones was excised.

A thing I liked about it was that for a film about talking, giant turtles....it was rather grounded. There was no Technodome, no Krang, no Beebop or Rocksteady and no Mutant Squirrels which I liked. The CGI film looks to be going all out and looks like it's lost some realism. I know realism is an odd word to being using while describing a Turtles film but you've got to create a believable world and the first Turtles film did that.

Timon -> RE: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990) (20/1/2007 7:05:21 PM)

Just watched the new trailer for the animated film (www.davestrailerpage.co.uk) and while it looks good, i'm still not completely loving the blocky look of April and Casey. Warming to the Turtles new slimmer look thought...

Sphinx -> RE: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990) (21/1/2007 7:45:14 PM)

Anyone remember collecting the coins - this was at the height of the franchise - I remember watching that at a cinema in barking, seventeem years eh? dear oh dear oh dear[:D][:D][:D]

bub -> RE: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990) (22/1/2007 9:37:47 PM)

[image]http://www.itsonlyamovie.co.uk/COVERS1/TEENAGE%20MUTANT%20NINJA%20TURTLES%202.jpg[/image]

Best sequel ever?

[sm=33.gif]

mrdoom14 -> RE: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990) (22/1/2007 9:47:15 PM)

A very poor adaption wich is far to violent for a childrens movie.

1/5

Sutty -> RE: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990) (22/1/2007 9:52:37 PM)

Turtle Power. God, i had the single and everything. Movie was pretty good too. Worked in all the characters you wanted to see and all the usual catchphrases. Sequels got worse as they went along, but hey.

Timon -> RE: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990) (23/1/2007 10:19:21 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: mrdoom14

1/5

Too violent? How? It's no more violent then The Goonies (which has dead bodies falling on kids), Indiana Jones and Gremlins.

Bulletproof_Monk -> RE: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990) (23/1/2007 10:20:34 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

"God, I love being a turtle!"

Never saw Turtles II + III mainly due to the poor, poor talkback i heard about them. Can anyone confirm how bad they really are?

Turtles 2 I liked, didn't see Turtles III though. I considered myself too old by the time that came out.... [:D]

mrdoom14 -> RE: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990) (23/1/2007 10:26:09 AM)

quote:

quote:

1/5

Too violent? How? It's no more violent then The Goonies (which has dead bodies falling on kids), Indiana Jones and Gremlins.

Its much violenter than goonies but goonies had a 12 cert unlike Turtles wich is a pg.And gremlins is a 15 and defintely not a kids movie(it reveals the truth about santa) and Indian Jones also aint a kids movie.But Turtles is a childrens movie that two year olds can watch and its full of freequent martial arts wich is to rough for a childrens movie.

Timon -> RE: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990) (23/1/2007 10:28:32 AM)

quote:

But Turtles is a childrens movie that two year olds can watch and its full of freequent martial arts wich is to rough for a childrens movie.

They're Teenage Mutant NINJA Turtles. What do you want them to use? Feather dusters?

mrdoom14 -> RE: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990) (23/1/2007 10:31:26 AM)

quote:

quote:

But Turtles is a childrens movie that two year olds can watch and its full of freequent martial arts wich is to rough for a childrens movie.

They're Teenage Mutant NINJA Turtles. What do you want them to use? Feather dusters?

No, action is fine but people getting kicked through walls all the time is to violent for children.Look at the cartoon thats just the right amount of violence and action wich is suitable for young children unless they were scumbags.

Wedge -> RE: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990) (23/1/2007 10:34:41 AM)

I remember the cartoon encouraging all sorts of violence in our Primary School playground.  Ah, happy days.  [:D]

Bulletproof_Monk -> RE: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990) (23/1/2007 10:36:13 AM)

I saw it when I was a child and I was fine.... mostly. [sm=augen14.gif]

I was more disturbed when the dinosaurs fought in Fantasia!

Wedge -> RE: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990) (23/1/2007 10:43:03 AM)

I'd say it was a little too violent for children, particularly very young children.  As I can remember, the film was fairly dark and realistic.  I remember being fairly upset when one of the turtles is nearly beaten to death.  However, I'd say a PG rating does give sufficient warning, i.e. warning against showing it to young children and having a parent present when older children are viewing.

Bulletproof_Monk -> RE: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990) (23/1/2007 10:45:54 AM)

[sm=schild15.gif]

Love the AV, Wedge!

mrdoom14 -> RE: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990) (23/1/2007 10:47:10 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wedge

I'd say it was a little too violent for children, particularly very young children.  As I can remember, the film was fairly dark and realistic.  I remember being fairly upset when one of the turtles is nearly beaten to death.  However, I'd say a PG rating does give sufficient warning, i.e. warning against showing it to young children and having a parent present when older children are viewing.

It is to violent for younger children.I think its suitable for 10+ but I think a 12 rating would be more accurate like the goonies.

Wedge -> RE: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990) (23/1/2007 10:53:50 AM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wedge

It is to violent for younger children.I think its suitable for 10+ but I think a 12 rating would be more accurate like the goonies.

Thank you Mr Monk [sm=08.gif]  I had it tailor made.

It's been about 15 years since I saw Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, so I'll have to give it another viewing.  Almost bought it the other day but I thought it might be what my girlfriend refers to as a 'waste of money'.  She'll give me 'a look'.

But do you actually like the film Mr Doom?

Timon -> RE: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990) (23/1/2007 10:55:33 AM)

Ok ok ok ok.....violence aside. How is it a poor adaption? It does everything a Turtles movie should. Introduces the characters, backstory, villain, fights, humour.......music by Partners In Kryme.

Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI