RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films

evil bill -> RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? (6/2/2007 6:40:26 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dr Lenera

Some of my favourite films of this nature are
Santa Sangre  Alexander Jodorowsky's bizarre circus-set horror thriller,sort of like Fellini meets Argento! El Topo and Holy Mountain are even wierder,but I prefer Santa Sangre,it does,kind of,make sense,and deep down is quite sad and moving too. And what film other film has a 'hero' who is incestuous,a serial killer and a possible necrophilia too and yet you still synpathize with him?[:D]

Lisa and the Devil  Great Italian horror director Mario Bava's last completed film,a weird house where events are repeated,Telly Savalas as a lollipop sucking Devil,dummies who come to life,time travelriencarnation,little of it makes sense,but it's such a beautiful movie![:D]

The Lair Of The White Worm  Russell's afore-mentioned Altered States and The Devils are pretty amazing but I also love this balmy little horror movie,which Hugh Grant probably likes to forget but could be his best movie! Especially like Amanda Donohue's snakewoman biting schoolboys between the legs and dancing to a snakecharmer's music.[:D]

The Man Who Fell To Earth Most of Nic Roeg's films are pretty strange as he usually makes even the simplest story seem complex through strange editing, but this is my favourite,David Bowie is perfect casting as an alien,and it has one of my favourite wierd moments in any film-Bowie and his girlfriend are travelling along in a car,and for some reason we cut to a pioneer family hundreds of years ago,than back to the present,than back again![:D]

Brazil  I'm sure we've all seen this,but it is bloody weird,one of my top ten films and Terry Gilliam's masterpiece[:D]

Attack of the Mushroom People I'm a big fan of Japan's Godzilla films,but this film by the same studio is even odder,sort of a cross between Lord Of The Flies and Invasion Of The Body Snatchers. People are shipwrecked on an island,and turn into giant-well,you've read the title![sm=33.gif]

Orlando  Tilda Swinton lives through four centuries,possibly or possibly not travelling through time,and half way through goes to sleep a man and awakes as a woman,saying "No difference at all ,just a different sex".[sm=33.gif]

Will probably think of more later!

[sm=33.gif]=hav'nt seen?
             [:D]=Seen it loved it!
Mario Bava is my second favourite Itialian director.LA MASCHERA DEL DEMONIO  (Mask of Satan:UK Black Sunday:USA)1960 one of his first movies was a true classic Gothic Horror movie.It has loads of werid images with vampires crawling from there graves to witches having a spiked demon mask hammered into there skulls.The plot is a mix of secert passages,family curses and sudden deaths,with an realy errie score throughout.

Kira -> RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? (6/2/2007 11:39:12 PM)

quote:

Yes! it's pretty gory and strange,it tells the story of a young woman who inherits a rundown hotel on the edge of a louisana swamp.She is unaware that it is the gateway to hell,and so begins a nightmare fight for life,straight out of a lovecraft's book EIBON,the living dead lay claim to the gateway and all souls around the hotel.[sm=evilgrin27.gif]

I should probably give Signiore Fulci a try again, sounds good .... *cough* .. any eyeball mayhem in The Beyond  [sm=w00t.gif] [:'(] ?

I have mish-mash feelings about The City of the Living Dead. I personally could not love this one as a whole film. Just individual scenes and the truly thick atmosphere.

Kira -> RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? (6/2/2007 11:56:15 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dr Lenera
The Lair Of The White Worm  Russell's afore-mentioned Altered States and The Devils are pretty amazing but I also love this balmy little horror movie,which Hugh Grant probably likes to forget but could be his best movie! Especially like Amanda Donohue's snakewoman biting schoolboys between the legs and dancing to a snakecharmer's music.

Hugh Grant [sm=893flamed-thumb.gif]? Whatever. This one is still on my must see list.

evil bill -> RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? (7/2/2007 7:20:24 PM)

If you like eye poping try HOUSE BY THE CEMETRY where an eye is pushed from the back by a large nail.The Beyond has a couple of truly gory scenes where a zombie child gets half it's head blowin away,eye poping??????.Lair Of The White Worm is one great Ken Russel Weird movie,based on a story by Bram Stoker(Dracula).[sm=happy34.gif][sm=evilgrin27.gif]
By the way there's a Dario Argento thread for Itialian Horror fans on Actors and Auteurs join in if you DARE!!!!![sm=16.gif]

dj vivace -> RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? (7/2/2007 7:42:41 PM)

If we really must recommend eye popping scenes [:'(] hows about the eye shoved on to a nail near the end of Zombie Flash Eaters? However, the so called horific scene in Hostel involving an eye was just silly

Kira -> RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? (8/2/2007 11:28:24 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: dj vivace

If we really must recommend eye popping scenes [:'(] hows about the eye shoved on to a nail near the end of Zombie Flash Eaters? However, the so called horific scene in Hostel involving an eye was just silly

Guys, I'm just desperately trying to avoid those poppin eyes.[sm=angel.gif]  Ok back to experimental science-fiction. Has anyone heard about or seen The Meatball Machine? It looks like a low budget really badass cross between Tetsuo x Cronenberg x Miike.

evil bill -> RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? (8/2/2007 7:45:07 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kira

quote:

Guys, I'm just desperately trying to avoid those poppin eyes.[sm=angel.gif]  Ok back to experimental science-fiction. Has anyone heard about or seen The Meatball Machine? It looks like a low budget really badass cross between Tetsuo x Cronenberg x Miike.

Now that sounds like one weird mind fuck of a movie,any other info on it would be great.[sm=evilgrin27.gif][sm=happy34.gif]And do'nt worry strange Horror,Sci/Fi etc belong on this fan based site,as long as they are WEIRD!!!!! 

dj vivace -> RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? (9/2/2007 10:52:50 AM)

Yeh, that Meatball Machine sounds intriging (spelled totally wrong!). Evil Bill, have you received Dabbe yet? I will pester you everyday until you've seen it!!

STILL waiting for Masters Of Horror series 1 vol.2, however i did read somewhere that Takashi Miike's story was so horrific it was banned on US tv!!

Kira -> RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? (9/2/2007 11:42:36 AM)

I've recently read a positive review about The Meatball Machine in a magazine. IMDB sucks, no details, just one comment. Found this on the description page of the Philadelphia Film Festival 2006 - implanted tumor-like alien globules ... sounds really interesting

"Lonely factory worker Yoji has a crush on fellow factory employee Sachiko, but just when they start to bond…well, aliens invade the earth and attach themselves as parasites to human bodies. The method of parasitism is grotesque enough – the aliens implant tumor-like globules on the shoulders of their victims and pilot them like robots
(whilst also blinding them with devices that penetrate their eye sockets)".

Miike's part in Masters of Horror banned from US TV? No surprise. I'm just thinking about the needle action in Audition [sm=confused42.gif].

Gothzilla -> RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? (9/2/2007 1:41:20 PM)

Imagine  Takashi Miike doing SA4 [sm=51.gif] blood guts and big big sharks. All done in a wierd and wired oriental style.

Kira -> RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? (9/2/2007 2:30:00 PM)

Now that would be my wet dream!!!! We should really ask him to do it. [sm=51.gif]

evil bill -> RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? (9/2/2007 3:24:30 PM)

DABBE avired today will watch it tonight,while par-taken of some fine wine,and if the wife curse's me to hell i'll blame you[:D]It sounds fun goimg by the write up on the back.

Lebowski -> RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? (9/2/2007 8:43:54 PM)

How about these?

[image]http://www.dacre.org/flash/www/gbd00324.jpg[/image]
Static

[image]http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDReviews10/tokyo_drifter_/tokyo_drifter_cover.jpg[/image]
Tokyo Drifter

[image]http://artfiles.art.com/images/-/Sonny-Boy-Poster-C10384959.jpeg[/image]
Sonny Boy

[image]http://www.morphizm.com/images/interviews/plympton/tune_dvd.jpg[/image]
The Tune

[image]http://www.musicweb.uk.net/film/2002/Nov02/tears_of_the_black_tiger.jpg[/image]
Tears of the Black Tiger

[image]http://www.upcomingdiscs.com/covers/magicchristiandvd.jpg[/image]
The Magic Christian

[image]http://www.arkepix.com/kinok/images/DVD/CINEMA16/Europe/jabberwocky0.jpg[/image]
Jabberwocky (Svankmajer)

[image]http://www.umbrellaent.com.au/flats/0587.jpg[/image]
Bad Boy Bubby

[image]http://www.facets.org/images/the%20five%20obstructions.jpg[/image]
The Five Obstructions

[image]http://artfiles.art.com/images/-/Northfork-Poster-C12047397.jpeg[/image]
Northfork

dj vivace -> RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? (9/2/2007 10:35:06 PM)

quote:

I've recently read a positive review about The Meatball Machine in a magazine. IMDB sucks, no details, just one comment. Found this on the description page of the Philadelphia Film Festival 2006 - implanted tumor-like alien globules ... sounds really interesting

"Lonely factory worker Yoji has a crush on fellow factory employee Sachiko, but just when they start to bond…well, aliens invade the earth and attach themselves as parasites to human bodies. The method of parasitism is grotesque enough – the aliens implant tumor-like globules on the shoulders of their victims and pilot them like robots
(whilst also blinding them with devices that penetrate their eye sockets)".

Miike's part in Masters of Horror banned from US TV? No surprise. I'm just thinking about the needle action in Audition [sm=confused42.gif].

There's those eyes again! Your obsessed [:D][:D] 
That scene in Audition is horrific, so i can't even beging to imagine what this made for tv episode has in store. The last thing i saw of Miike was the Box for the Three Extremes trilogy and that was pretty weird!
This film of yours sounds better by the minute, is it Japanese? Whens it out?

dj vivace -> RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? (9/2/2007 10:38:23 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: evil bill

DABBE avired today will watch it tonight,while par-taken of some fine wine,and if the wife curse's me to hell i'll blame you[:D]It sounds fun goimg by the write up on the back.

I really hope you enjoy it!! My fiance was very pissed off with me for putting her through such an ordeal, so i hope your wife isn't too bad. Infact, i had to hide her face for about a quarter of the film because she was so scared. Well, you've probably seen it now so too late to tell you that the subtitles aren't great, but hey, hopefully it scared the shit out of you both!!
Oh, and i didn't have a story on the back of mine, just two different covers

Kira -> RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? (10/2/2007 2:19:56 PM)

quote:

DJ Vivace [sm=52.gif], look into my eyes, look into my eyes, the eyes, the eyes, not around the eyes, don't look around my eyes, look into my EYES, you're under!  You have never ever ever ever found the proof that I am obsessed with busted EYES. And now you'll go to that nice bar around the corner and you'll fetch me a cool vodka lemon and a pack of salted peanuts. Three, two, one... you're back in the room.[sm=happy13.gif]

[sm=whistle.gif]

quote:

Yep, it's Japanese. I have not watched it so far and I'm not really sure if it can meet my high expectations. I've googled and found a German release. A US version seems to be coming soon. Ebay: nada.

Kira -> RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? (10/2/2007 3:05:33 PM)

Lebowski, I have watched two of Suzuki's masterpieces on a Japanese film festival. Tokyo Drifter (1966) and Branded to Kill (1967) are both great Yakuza trash flicks. I've really enjoyed their coolness.

Branded to Kill basically deals with "I'm the third-ranked killer in Tokyo and want to become number one". But nobody of his gang has ever seen Mr. number one. Number three is also kinda addicted to the smell of cooked rice, especially before having sex [sm=grin.gif]. One day he is hired to kill a business guy and the mission sucks. A butterfly lands on his gun and he kills a woman instead. Whoosh, his Yakuza days are up, now the hunter is getting hunted. He knocks off those who come after him in a super cool manner and finally faces number one. There are some surrealistic sequences and nifty killings. And totally grotesque plot twists.

Tokyo Drifter is equally amazing and has the greatest easy listening theme song ever! And it had high impact on Tarantino IMHO. The costumes and sets are hyper-stylized. It has strange camera angles, candy colours and patterns. It's another Yakuza storyline:    
"Tetsu is the right-hand man to boss Kurata, an ageing Yakuza whose only wish is to go straight and become a legitimate businessman. However, old habits die hard, and all it takes is an old foe in the form of Aizawa to put a stop to any plans of going straight. Cutting Kurata off at every chance he has to further his business, and attempting to convince Tetsu to switch allegiances, Aizawa threatens to put a stranglehold on Kurata's aspirations keeping him within the violent underworld for life. The stage is set for Tetsu, the Tokyo Drifter, to set the wrongs right.”

More
info: clicky

evil bill -> RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? (10/2/2007 4:46:14 PM)

quote:

quote:

I really hope you enjoy it!! My fiance was very pissed off with me for putting her through such an ordeal, so i hope your wife isn't too bad. Infact, i had to hide her face for about a quarter of the film because she was so scared. Well, you've probably seen it now so too late to tell you that the subtitles aren't great, but hey, hopefully it scared the shit out of you both!!
Oh, and i didn't have a story on the back of mine, just two different covers

Watched it last night after DEEP RED,and luckly the wife went to bed ,so it was just me and the mate .Who now thinks there is no cure for my sick mind,after watching both movies,and yes it was disturbing and a couple of realy good shocks.Shame about the picture quality and the usless subtitles,but they where minor problems,overall it was a cracking weird horror,very like the RING but far more creepy.4/5.[sm=happy34.gif]Hopfully it will get a proper release on DVD,as it deserves a wider viewing,and could lead to this turkish director getting a wider fan base and more movies.

dj vivace -> RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? (10/2/2007 7:27:59 PM)

It certainly does deserve a wider audience. Glad you enjoyed it and glad it gave you some scares, i have to tell you it scared the shit out of me! There was a thread about it a few weeks back in favourite films and a few foramites were gonna search it out. I know one did but he hasn't watched it yet. Maybe word of mouth will grow.
Got a wonderful email from Amazon today, my Masters Of Horror series 1 vol.2 was posted today so should get it monday or tuesday!! They also posted my Ultimate Argento boxset thursday so looks like its horror all next week, perfect for valentines day!!!
Anyway, glad you enjoyed Dabbe. This is what this thread is all about ay, sharing films and enjoying them!!

dj vivace -> RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? (10/2/2007 7:30:44 PM)

quote:

quote:

DJ Vivace [sm=52.gif], look into my eyes, look into my eyes, the eyes, the eyes, not around the eyes, don't look around my eyes, look into my EYES, you're under!  You have never ever ever ever found the proof that I am obsessed with busted EYES. And now you'll go to that nice bar around the corner and you'll fetch me a cool vodka lemon and a pack of salted peanuts. Three, two, one... you're back in the room.[sm=happy13.gif]

[sm=whistle.gif]

quote:

Yep, it's Japanese. I have not watched it so far and I'm not really sure if it can meet my high expectations. I've googled and found a German release. A US version seems to be coming soon. Ebay: nada.

Mmmm, not sure what happened there [sm=893confused27-thumb.gif], was it some kind of trick? Anyway, they were all out of salted peanuts so i got roasted instead [sm=augen14.gif]

Kira -> RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? (11/2/2007 12:15:14 PM)

Morning!

..crunch ..crunch...where's my drink?

evil bill -> RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? (11/2/2007 1:19:37 PM)

Afternoon,just recovering from a hang over watched BLUE VELVET last night,just love Frank Booth,chilling!!!! And i see INLAND EMPIRE is getting five star reviews,and will be released in the UK april 8th but limted number of screens.

Kira -> RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? (12/2/2007 11:01:55 AM)

quote:

Afternoon,just recovering from a hang over watched BLUE VELVET last night,just love Frank Booth,chilling!!!!

Thanks for the good idea. Hopper is genius. Yesterday I've watched Blue Velvet [sm=love01.gif]and Mulholland drive again.

evil bill -> RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? (12/2/2007 7:11:01 PM)

quote:

quote:

Afternoon,just recovering from a hang over watched BLUE VELVET last night,just love Frank Booth,chilling!!!!

Thanks for the good idea. Hopper is genius. Yesterday I've watched Blue Velvet [sm=love01.gif]and Mulholland drive again.

Dennis Hooper has apeared in some strange movies in his time,and was stoned out of his head during EASY RIDER.He came up with the idea of Frank on some serious druged gas,originaly Lynch wanted Frank to be on Helium,now that would have been so different.

dj vivace -> RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? (12/2/2007 7:38:28 PM)

Dennis Hopper is a nasty piece of work in Blue Velvet, but i still think Mulholland Drive is my favourite Lynch film. I really wish i could turn back time and experience that film for the first time all over again and have my brain completely pulverised by the ending.
Is Inland Empire the new Lynch film thats been talked about on here for a while? There's so many films due out i can't keep up.

Kira -> RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? (13/2/2007 12:00:29 PM)

quote:

Frank to be on Helium,now that would have been so different.

[sm=18.gif]

quote:

Dennis Hopper is a nasty piece of work in Blue Velvet, but i still think Mulholland Drive is my favourite Lynch film. I really wish i could turn back time and experience that film for the first time all over again and have my brain completely pulverised by the ending.

Somehow the second smiley did not appear in my bump (?).  It should have been: Blue Velvet [sm=love01.gif]and Mulholland Drive[sm=love01.gif] . They are equally awsome IMHO. Loved the blue box, the cowboy, the director smashing the car, too many good scenes. My fav Lynch film is Lost Highway though.

evil bill -> RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? (13/2/2007 6:32:06 PM)

quote:

quote:

Frank to be on Helium,now that would have been so different.

[sm=18.gif]

quote:

Somehow the second smiley did not appear in my bump (?).  It should have been: Blue Velvet [sm=love01.gif]and Mulholland Drive[sm=love01.gif] . They are equally awsome IMHO. Loved the blue box, the cowboy, the director smashing the car, too many good scenes. My fav Lynch film is Lost Highway though.

Bought LOST HIGHWAY the other week after a couple of years of promiseing myself to buy  it,after watching a dogy copy in a mates house some time ago.It is one of the best David Lynch movies around,and reminds me so much of Twin Peaks the TV show.Unlike a lot of fans i also loved Twin Peaks:Fire Walk With Me,which to some was a strange movie too far??
Dj Vivace there's a trailer on the Empire site of Lynchs new movie INLAND EMPIRE,which is due 8th April in the UK,it looks like another Classic Lynch movie with Laura Dern back as leading Actress.And Robert Plant has done a song for the movie,keeping David Lynchs foot in Rock'n'Roll sound tracks,with a twist of Jazz.
Has anyone else seen William Petter Blatty's NINTH CONFIGURATION,about a bunch of high ranking miltary officers suffering mental breakdowns,who are examanied by a brillant psychiatrist in a gothic mansion in secret.It's a great piece of film making from Blatty who also did a brillant job on EXORCIST 3,and ask's what is the meaning of Life,God and Death.Blatty is not only a great writer(Exorcist) but a superb yet sadly underused director. [sm=love01.gif][sm=happy34.gif]

dj vivace -> RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? (14/2/2007 11:22:17 PM)

Haven't seen the Ninthe Configuration but it sounds good. Exorcist 3, at times for me, is better than the original Exorcist, depends what mood i'm in. I have talked and talked about Exorcist 3 with people and i think it's the most recommended film i've ever pushed. It is just one of the most terrifying films in terms of atmosphere ever made i think!
Thanks for the heads up on the Inland Empire trailor, i'll have a look.
On the subject of the Exorcist, William Friedkin has a new film out this year called BUG. The plot; a woman on the run from her abusive husband has an affiar with a stranger who is stranger than most? Sound interesting?

Gothzilla -> RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies? (15/2/2007 6:58:01 PM)

For those of you that are interested there is a special edition of Mulholland Drive being released on March 12.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mulholland-Drive-Special-Dan-Hedaya/dp/B000KRNMRQ/sr=1-2/qid=1171565723/ref=pd_bowtega_2/202-8232484-7506251?ie=UTF8&s=dvd

evil bill -> RE: WEIRD/STRANGE favorite movies fan base? (15/2/2007 7:02:53 PM)

William Friedkin a wonderful director,and i'll put BUG on my list of must see movies,as i'm a big fan if him.I also agree that EXORCIST 3 was the better movie,it just had more depth to it for me,and Blatty did a fine Directing job of his own book Legion.I bought the Region 1 dvd of it which is great sound and picture.A true chiller of a movie with some strange scenes,like the dreamscape of the cop walking through the cathtral/train station to heaven.Reminds me of that other great chiller with lots of far out scenes DO'NT LOOK NOW,which delt with the loss of a child,with a supernatural twist?

Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI