Superstitions (Full Version)

All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic

Merly -> Superstitions (11/12/2006 2:02:26 PM)

Is anybody superstitious?

I like to think that it's all a load of rubbish but sometimes I find myself not putting new shoes on the table and making sure I'm not crossing people on the stairs. I don't really believe anything bad will happen but ya know why risk it. [:D]

Also I have always been worried about eating an animal that died facing North. I've heard it's bad. However I would never know if said animal died facing north unless I killed it myself. Probably a good job I only eat chicken, that way I can tell by which way the feathers are ruffled. [sm=augen14.gif]

Newander -> RE: Superstitions (11/12/2006 2:11:55 PM)

I am too.

Saluting magpies, not walking under ladders, not crossing on stairs, knocking on wood...the list is endless. I'm not obsessive about it, but i do them [8D]

Ted Striker -> RE: Superstitions (11/12/2006 2:13:37 PM)

Very superstitious, writings on the wall,
Very superstitious, ladders bout to fall,
Thirteen month old baby, broke the lookin glass
Seven years of bad luck, the good things in your past.

When you believe in things that you dont understand,
Then you suffer,
Superstition aint the way

Very superstitious, wash your face and hands,
Rid me of the problem, do all that you can,
Keep me in a daydream, keep me goin strong,
You dont wanna save me, sad is my song.

Then you suffer,
Superstition aint the way, yeh, yeh.

Very superstitious, nothin more to say,
Very superstitious, the devils on his way,
Thirteen month old baby, broke the lookin glass,
Seven years of bad luck, good things in your past

Then you suffer,
Superstition aint the way, no, no, no

steffols -> RE: Superstitions (11/12/2006 2:14:53 PM)

When my granpa was going out with my gran, he was in her house and he put some new shoes of his on the table, my grans mum instantly told him to take his new shoes off the table (my grans family are horribly superstitious) and he refused.  The next he went to work (in a quarry) and broke his arm.

You have been warned.

Funkyrae -> RE: Superstitions (11/12/2006 2:16:24 PM)

I'm horrendously superstitious and I know I shouldn't be.

I will never wear green to a wedding, I was even panicky over wearing turquoise to one last year.

You can't hang a horseshoe upside down or the luck runs out, right way up or the devil swings on it so it has to go on its side.

I have a fit if anyone opens an umbrella inside the house.

It's all very silly and I know it is, but I can't let go of them.

I still have my four leaf clover too.

Merly -> RE: Superstitions (11/12/2006 2:16:55 PM)

quote:

Saluting magpies

That's a new one on me. I like it though [:D]

Funkyrae -> RE: Superstitions (11/12/2006 2:18:05 PM)

You don't salute magpies Merly?  If you see a single magpie you must salute it and enquire as to his health and that of his wife.  Keeps all the "sorrow" away if you do.  Allegedly.

Merly -> RE: Superstitions (11/12/2006 2:25:19 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Funkyrae

You don't salute magpies Merly?  If you see a single magpie you must salute it and enquire as to his health and that of his wife.  Keeps all the "sorrow" away if you do.  Allegedly.

I don't Funky. I've never heard of that one but I will be sure to do it in future, just cos I find it kinda funny [:D]

steffols -> RE: Superstitions (11/12/2006 2:27:08 PM)

I always, always salute a lone magpie.  In fact, I told someone about this, and now he thinks im a nutter.

I get panicked if I see a black cat staring at me.

Umbrellas indoors scare the crap out of me.  My mum opens them up to dry them, and I freak. out.

Merly -> RE: Superstitions (11/12/2006 2:29:24 PM)

quote:

I get panicked if I see a black cat staring at me.

Me too, but that's just cos I feel intimidated by cats [sm=08.gif]

Twinkle -> RE: Superstitions (12/12/2006 3:23:39 PM)

I don't think I'm overtly superstitious, but I will go out of my way to avoid walking under a ladder.  So maybe I am. [:D]

Now what's this "crossing people on the stairs" business all about?  Never heard that one before. [sm=33.gif]

James2183 -> RE: Superstitions (12/12/2006 3:33:09 PM)

Magpies, ladders and three drains. 

Harry Tuttle -> RE: Superstitions (12/12/2006 3:50:59 PM)

Nope not at all.

I wouldn't think twice about crossing someone on the stairs as I was walking under a ladder as a black cat crossed my path whilst I was wearing an upside down horseshoe as a lone magpie watched on.[:D]

The missus is though, and it doesn't half wind me up [:@]

Merly -> RE: Superstitions (12/12/2006 4:38:47 PM)

Hi K [;)]

Starscream -> RE: Superstitions (12/12/2006 4:43:22 PM)

i dont think i am but my Grandmother was

She has a superstition that a sweeping brush should not be used on a table. My uncle did and she went nuts on him. A day later he was in a motorbike crash and had to have metal plates put in his arms [sm=893ouch-thumb.gif]

LiliBee -> RE: Superstitions (13/12/2006 11:04:48 AM)

I'm not at all superstitious, and can't be bothered observing any - except for things that make sense, such as trying not to walk underneath a ladder when someone is up it in case I knock the ladder and cause them to fall, or they drop something on me. I will say Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening to a lone magpie sometimes but that's more habit than any belief in bad luck - my mother used to do it when I was a child. Doesn't bother me if I see one and don't....

Old housemates of mine at uni used to go mad every time I opened an umbrella indoors - until I asked them how the fuck they thought they made the things in the factory, and whether anyone who worked in such a factory was doomed to super bad luck for the rest of their lives. Generally, I find superstitions ridiculous and can't believe that there are people out there who actually put such faith in such meaningless rituals. Fine to do them as a laugh because you find them funny or quaint, but to actually believe? What really bugs me is the way that these people have a go at me every time I break one of these stupid things - believe what you want, but don't try and force me to live by your ridiculous 'rules' too.

Sorry, I'm one of those really boring, logical people [:D]

Bubba -> RE: Superstitions (13/12/2006 2:17:51 PM)

I have to say 'Hello Mr. Magpie.' if I see one on its own, I do this no matter where I am. If I see two magies I'm in good mood for the rest of the day.

I  throw salt over my shoulder if I spill some but I can never remember which shoulder its meant to go over so I do both.

Funkyrae -> RE: Superstitions (13/12/2006 2:21:19 PM)

It's meant to be your left shoulder Bubba.

How the hell do I still know all these things?

Harry Tuttle -> RE: Superstitions (13/12/2006 2:22:24 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Merly

Hi K [;)]

Gin?

tbird -> RE: Superstitions (13/12/2006 2:54:24 PM)

I'm terribly superstitious. These are jsut a few of the things I have to do or I go crazy:

Say "Good Morning/Afternoon Captain" to Magpies.
Touch wood whenever I say something tempting fate.
Avoid walking over all drains in sets of threes.
Say "White Rabbits" three times on the first of every month.
Avoid walking under ladders.
Avoid putting new shoes on a table.
Put a silver coin on the window sill on New Year's Eve.

Doctor Manhattan -> RE: Superstitions (13/12/2006 3:10:03 PM)

Not a superstition as such, but i have to run to the kitchen and switch the kettle off on the wall just as it boils, otherwise it makes this horrible UFO-esque noise. Drives me c-c-c-c-c-c-c-c-c-c-razy. 

trussedfund -> RE: Superstitions (13/12/2006 3:15:18 PM)

It doesn't matter what I am thinking of or looking at for motivation, the second I hit the vinegar strokes I just have to think of Jessica Alba.  Don't know why, but I just feel like something very bad will happen if I don't..

Newander -> RE: Superstitions (14/12/2006 12:34:16 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: tbird

I'm terribly superstitious. These are jsut a few of the things I have to do or I go crazy:

Say "Good Morning/Afternoon Captain" to Magpies.
Touch wood whenever I say something tempting fate.
Avoid walking over all drains in sets of threes.
Say "White Rabbits" three times on the first of every month.
Avoid walking under ladders.
Avoid putting new shoes on a table.
Put a silver coin on the window sill on New Year's Eve.

Why do you do that? Never heard of that one before.

Stillwater -> RE: Superstitions (14/12/2006 12:38:02 PM)

I remember one time I was walking home from school with my friend and she suddenly pushed me onto the road and I was like 'what the hell are you doing?' and she said that I had almost walked over 3 drains and that meant I was gonna get bad luck.. I was like 'you just almost freaking killed me, hows that for bad luck?'

I had a lot of bad luck this weekend so I took to wearing a horseshoe necklace that steffols bought me

I will never walk under a ladder

actually im more superstitious than I thought

UTB -> RE: Superstitions (12/10/2012 2:04:06 PM)

This has been bothering me for the last few weeks and the more I think about, the more it irritates me...

I flew to Spain with Mrs UTB a couple of weeks back and we asked for extra legroom. The lady on the check in said there were 2 left. They weren't together, but they were a row apart (so Mrs was sat in the row behind me). The lady on check in said 'You're in 12c and you're in 14c, but don't worry, there's no 13th row".

Listen people... the fourteenth row is the thirteenth fucking row on the plane. In fact, the twelth is the thirteenth if you're counting the stewardesses, Eleventh if you're including the pilot. Tenth if you include the toilet inbetween them,

I understand why they do it, but still.

Also, grown human beings still avoiding stepping on 3 drain covers together. Idiots.

I don't have any, of course. [:D]

Larry of Arabia -> RE: Superstitions (12/10/2012 2:27:34 PM)

I make a point of smugly stepping under ladders and chuckling at the plebs staring with their mouths agape at my blatant toying with evil forces...

... then I realise it's because of the the workman's tools dangling above my head and I scamper away with a girlish screech.

steflon -> RE: Superstitions (12/10/2012 2:32:43 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Merly

Is anybody superstitious?

but sometimes I find myself not putting new shoes on the table

my mum tells me off for doing this, cares not a jot if i was to stand on the table in old manky shoes to put up decorations and whatnot tho.

and no, i'm not superstitious at all, to believe in things like that you have to believe some outside force governing our physical lives...and there isnt!

Shifty Bench -> RE: Superstitions (12/10/2012 7:09:29 PM)

I'm not superstitious in the least but my mum is. She does the whole, not walking under ladders and pole'/no new shoes on the tables nonsense. One thing she hates is when we 'split a pole' when I walk around a lamppost beside her instead of walking on ahead or behind. I have absolutely no clue what this is supposed to do and I don't think my mum does either but she got it off her mum [&:]

steffols -> RE: Superstitions (12/10/2012 7:23:52 PM)

My Gran is quite superstitious and I think I've inherited it from her. She used to like telling me a story about when my Granpa worked in a quarry, he came home with new work shoes and put them on the table, my Grans mum warned him not to put new shoes on the table and he told her not to be daft. He went to work the next day and broke his arm. I have no idea if thats true but my Granpa used to tell me that his mum would never not buy anything from a gypsy who was selling stuff door to door in case they put a curse on the house. She had a full tea set she bought from a gypsy.

I'm a bit awkward about passing people on the stairs and the new shoes thing. I always salute magpies as well.

Shifty Bench -> RE: Superstitions (13/10/2012 5:51:24 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: steffols
I'm a bit awkward about passing people on the stairs

Oh yeah, that's one of my mum's too.....

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI