RE: Studio Ghibli (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> World Cinema

Artoo02 -> RE: Studio Ghibli (5/7/2007 7:03:01 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: mafyou

Oh, pretty cool. So the standard and the special edition from Japan? Bet that cost a fortune!!! Can you post some pics if you can? I'd love to have a look!

Will do.

There's a couple of pics already on http://www.ghibliworld.com/news.html btw :)

jamesbondguy -> RE: Studio Ghibli (5/7/2007 7:05:50 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fluke Skywalker

I have seen all Miyazaki's stuff, Grave of The Fireflies, Whisper of The Heart and The Cat Returns - what other Studio Ghibli offerings do people recommend?

Only Yesterday. It's brilliant, and from the director of Grave of the Fireflies.

mafyou -> RE: Studio Ghibli (5/7/2007 7:06:41 PM)

[:)] I just visited that! I'm very intrigued to the 4 disc set... although i'm tempted to wait for a cheaper Korean release and then the Optimum for the UK later this year. How much did you pay for the 4 disc set? Do you know when there will be a Korean release?

Edit: If you want to get some Ghibli titles cheap the place to go is Sendit. £6.89 for all titles i think. Although it says preorder? Dunno why?

Artoo02 -> RE: Studio Ghibli (5/7/2007 8:51:47 PM)

quote:

[:)] I just visited that! I'm very intrigued to the 4 disc set... although i'm tempted to wait for a cheaper Korean release and then the Optimum for the UK later this year. How much did you pay for the 4 disc set? Do you know when there will be a Korean release?

I pre-ordered both Japanese sets at yesasia for a total of $129 ($83.75 [4 disc], + $42.25 [2 disc]) (approx £42 for the 4-discer, £64 altogether). Ghibliworld says the Hong Kong release is out on the 20th (yesaisa says July 31st though, no price yet), dunno about the Korean one yet either. The 4-disc set is now $73.99 (£37 ish) on yesasia, though with a 7-14 day wait.

G.O.B -> RE: Studio Ghibli (10/7/2007 10:52:47 AM)

So,what's everybody's least favourite ghibli film or ghibli film they can't understand the hype for?

mafyou -> RE: Studio Ghibli (10/7/2007 12:02:08 PM)

Laputa

Jackie -> RE: Studio Ghibli (10/7/2007 12:12:50 PM)

Personally, although I did like it, I didn't think Whisper of the Heart was really anything particularly special, and I really disliked the ending to Porco Rosso, as I said earlier. There are parts of all the Ghibli films where I lost it a little bit and found myself drifting off, but mostly they're wonderful [:D]

Jackie.

Fluke Skywalker -> RE: Studio Ghibli (10/7/2007 12:16:29 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jackie

Personally, although I did like it, I didn't think Whisper of the Heart was really anything particularly special, and I really disliked the ending to Porco Rosso, as I said earlier. There are parts of all the Ghibli films where I lost it a little bit and found myself drifting off, but mostly they're wonderful [:D]

Jackie.

Maybe I've been a touch harsh on Whisper of The Heart but I thought it was more of a slight tale than I expected. The biggest disappointment for me was Nausicaa but like I said before that could have been because it was one of the last Miyazaki works I had seen (after astounding efforts like Mononoke and Spirited Away).

mafyou -> RE: Studio Ghibli (10/7/2007 12:18:32 PM)

I wonder if we will all think Tales From Earthsea when we see that. For some reason i don't think i will.

G.O.B -> RE: Studio Ghibli (13/7/2007 8:57:28 PM)

i think i'm really gonna like it as well,although i don't think it'll be like Mononoke(although i haven't seen it yet so i don't know what i'm talking about[:D])

Artoo02 -> RE: Studio Ghibli (13/7/2007 9:57:31 PM)

Tales From Earthsea has a couple of things that reminded me of Princess Mononoke in it, and I'd say it's arguably closest in tone to that of all previous Ghibli film (i.e. quite epic, a bit more adult than say Kiki's or Totoro) but there's plenty that's different about it too. I doubt anyone who likes most Ghibli films would dislike TFE.

I couldn't say which Ghibli film is my least favourite, but I think The Cat Returns probably got a disproportionate amount of exposure here in the UK, no doubt in the wake of Spirited Away's success, whereas more focus on retrospectives of the other Ghibli classics would have been nice.

G.O.B -> RE: Studio Ghibli (13/7/2007 10:37:29 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Artoo02

Tales From Earthsea has a couple of things that reminded me of Princess Mononoke in it, and I'd say it's arguably closest in tone to that of all previous Ghibli film (i.e. quite epic, a bit more adult than say Kiki's or Totoro) but there's plenty that's different about it too. I doubt anyone who likes most Ghibli films would dislike TFE.

I couldn't say which Ghibli film is my least favourite, but I think The Cat Returns probably got a disproportionate amount of exposure here in the UK, no doubt in the wake of Spirited Away's success, whereas more focus on retrospectives of the other Ghibli classics would have been nice.

Yeah,i do feel that the other films should have got more exposure,however,The Cat Returns,was a film following in the wake of an oscar winner(Spirited away,obviously) and so expectations were high on this film to be just as good.Oh and Artoo02,when you've seen Earthsea,would you mind posting a review in this thread?

Artoo02 -> RE: Studio Ghibli (14/7/2007 1:56:39 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: G.O.B
Yeah,i do feel that the other films should have got more exposure,however,The Cat Returns,was a film following in the wake of an oscar winner(Spirited away,obviously) and so†expectations were high on this film to be just as good.Oh and Artoo02,when you've seen Earthsea,would you mind posting a review in this thread?

Yeah, that's precisely my point, The Cat Returns, whilst a good film I think, is more slight than nearly all other Ghibli films in terms of depth, wasn't directed by Miyazaki or Takahata, was a quasi-sequel (benefiting from having seen Whisper of the Heart first at least) and I'd liken the hype (well, as much as any Ghibli film has had 'hype' in the usual sense[!]) that went with its release here to that of a follow-up single from a band who's just had a number one hit.

re- Earthsea, I have seen it now, I posted a sort of review in the 'All Things Anime' thread... it's fairly minimal on details and spoilers, but I'll repost here, with some extra stuff now I've watched it twice...

Artoo02 -> RE: Studio Ghibli (14/7/2007 2:01:36 AM)

Tales From Earthsea - Expanded review.
2006, Goro Miyazaki, 115 minutes
Japanese (R2) DVD release (July 2007)

[image]http://i16.tinypic.com/6coy1ww.jpg[/image]
2-disc and 4 disc editions

****MINOR SPOILERS POSSIBLE****

I am a very big fan of Ghibli films, there isn't one I don't like. I love them for both their visual wonder and their fantastic stories. Tales From Earthsea, loosely based on Ursula K Le Guin's Earthsea books has both, but in the end manages more of the former than the latter in comparison to most other Ghibli films.

The film's story does have some interesting themes and subtexts, especially when you consider the real-world situation of the director trying to follow a father who is a living legend in the same field. It isn't a Spirited Away-style instant wow, but for his first feature film I think it's hard to not say Miyazaki Jnr has done a pretty great job. Visually the film is simply beautiful, with gorgeous backgrounds, really great physical interaction by the characters and great use of CGI in places (they've really got the moving perspective shots seen in the likes of Mononoke onwards down to a fine art now). Some of it is jaw-droppingly beautiful, both in rendering and animation of characters and backgrounds.

If I had a problem with the film it was probably in the structure or flow - for most of the film it felt a little as if it was the first in a trilogy. Having a read the books the film is loosely based on (more like 'inspired by' to some extent) I was pleased to recognise quite a few allusions to things from the books, but at the same time this was far from a straight adaptation. Ursula K. Le Guin's comments that it was Goro Miyazaki's film, not her book make a lot sense, in fact upon re-reading her reaction to the film (available online on her website here - (*** BEWARE SPOILERS THOUGH***)) I couldn't help but agree with most of her criticisms (you'll find I've regurgitated a few here myself, not through plagiarism but through honest agreement!).

That said, I could have watched it for another hour before it came to an end - it was one of those films that has such an exquisitely realised world you can just enjoy being in it. Both my girlfriend and myself thought a Ghibli Lord of the Rings would be awesome when watching this - it does have that epic fantasy feel, especially in its landscapes at times. Though quite what they would do with Tolkien's story goodness only knows! However, for the vastness of the world that is created, the story seems to be missing something - maybe as a westerner I'm used to more exposition earlier on in a film of this genre, but I tend to think the story makes references to plot points that explain (or arguably attempt to but fail to explain) motivations and/or backstories of characters. At one point in the film I was literally expecting a flashback from one of the characters (Tenar) to briefly retell some backstory that refers to the second Earthsea book - but instead it washes to the next scene, and we get a total of one further reference to that character's past. Perhaps that will not infuriate people who haven't read the book, but then those couple of lines of dialogue seem rather pointless otherwise - a half-way house that either needed more to them or could have just as easily been cut.

There's also a lot of 'borrowed' visuals from earlier Ghibli films, much as there was in Howl's Moving Castle. The bad guy Cob, (who you will swear is a woman at first) lives a castle that bears more than a passing resemblance to the one in Cagliostro - and his chief henchman Hare looks remarkably like Kushana's General Kurotawa in Nausicaa. Cob is a far less ambiguous villain than those found in most Ghibli films, though in the end, more a tragic pathetic one than anything.

It's a fairly dark film by Ghibli standards - there's not a lot of light relief in there, it feels downright horror-esque at a few points and there are a couple of splashes of blood and a brief bodily dismemberment in the film. The film features a fairly dark act by Arren, the film's main protagnonist quite early on, which kind of sets the tone, both in terms of seriousness and in terms of lacking full explanations. Some may have a bigger problem with that early act, as it's not very clear at all exactly why it happened, and I'm not entirely sure it was an artistic decision to have such ambiguity surrounding it.

At times I loved the weight this serious tone brought the film, (this is not a film where you might find slapstick punch-ups a la Castle in the Sky or Porco Rosso), but to be honest by the end it felt like for the running time there should have been a little more happening between the beginning and the end. Really, it just feels the film never gets up the extra gear it feels like it should - a couple of (very good) early action scenes perhaps giving the viewer a wrong impression that maybe won't leave such a disjointed feeling on repeat viewings.

Certainly watching the film for the second time, with the very good English dub featuring a wonderfully-cast Timothy Dalton as the Wizard Sparrowhawk/Ged (everyone has two names in this world - it's an important plot point in both book and film) I found myself less concerned with the structure/plot problems and more enamoured with the film in general. I am very much in the camp that almost always prefers the original language with subtitles, but I feel Disney/Ghibli have really done a great job on this dub - the mysterious young girl Therru sings a beautiful song mid-way through the film, and I was happy that the English version didn't butcher it like say, the dub of Kiki's Delivery Service did when it replaced the wonderful Japanese songs with horribly cheesy Americanised fare.

Thematically the film deals with issues of life and death / light and darkness and the idea of 'balance'. Whilst finding the themes interesting, and nicely reflected in the visuals of the film (sunlight/daytime and darkness/nighttime are beautifully realised) I felt it was another area that didn't quite get tied together in a coherent enough form to really hit home like they could have done.

The music for the film is pretty great too - I was almost as worried that Joe Hisaishi wouldn't be composing as I was that Hayao Miyazaki wasn't directing this, but Tamiya Terashima delivered a grand and ominous soundtrack that perhaps sometimes deserved to be matched by more drama than it was.

Don't get too hung up on the dragons in all the publicity shots/posters etc - they are there but they make up a very small amount of screen time. Whilst they look great, I wanted more, but it's probably good they are kept as precious rare things.

Am I happy with the film? Yes, very. Could it have been better? Yes. For all my quibbles and criticisms of the film it's a worthy addition to the studio's collection and on this effort I'm looking forward to seeing any future films by Goro Miyazaki. It actually fills my heart with hope that he might continue his father's legacy. I would guess most people who love most Ghibli films would certainly enjoy this one, if not quite putting it up there with (Hayao) Miyazaki's best, it's still a very good, perhaps frustratingly close to being truly excellent film at times. If you don't expect it to surpass your favourite Ghibli film you should be satisfied with Tales From Earthsea.

**** (Four Stars out of Five)

The DVD itself looks great, beautiful transfer (I'd guess it was wholly digital). The 4-disc set has a lovely shiny foil-like cover insert. (I'll try and get more/better pics up soon (relying on my mobile camera right now, sorry), though you can see better pics online already at Ghibliworld!). Both the 2-disc set and 4-disc set have English subtitles and the English dub included (alongside the original Japanese track obviously). The 4-disc set contains the film with other language subtitles and dubs and a DTS soundtrack, whereas the 2-discer is Dolby Digital only.

G.O.B -> RE: Studio Ghibli (16/7/2007 8:50:36 PM)

Cheers for putting that up Artoo,much appreciated,so if i get the general gist of your review,you're saying it's a worthy ghibli entry but not one of their best?

Artoo02 -> RE: Studio Ghibli (16/7/2007 11:49:58 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: G.O.B

Cheers for putting that up Artoo,much appreciated,so if i get the general gist of your review,you're saying it's a worthy ghibli entry but not one of their best?

Yes, but that's not exactly a huge criticism in my book. [:D]
I'll be interested to read what others think whenever people get to see it.

Rhubarb -> RE: Studio Ghibli (19/7/2007 1:37:51 PM)

I watched Howl's Moving Castle for the first time last night, and i can't really understand why it has a reputation as a lesser Ghibli - for me it was every bit as magical as previous Ghibli's I've seen. It looks absolutely beautiful as well as usual.

mafyou -> RE: Studio Ghibli (19/7/2007 2:16:22 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

I watched Howl's Moving Castle for the first time last night, and i can't really understand why it has a reputation as a lesser Ghibli - for me it was every bit as magical as previous Ghibli's I've seen. It looks absolutely beautiful as well as usual.

Yup, i couldn't agree more. Empire got that one wrong.

G.O.B -> RE: Studio Ghibli (22/7/2007 2:42:37 AM)

i enjoyed it the first time i saw it but i feel it's time for a rewatch and a reevaluation from myself.

adamdavidsmith -> RE: Studio Ghibli (22/7/2007 9:46:12 AM)

Just viewed Princess Mononoke for the first time, enjoyable but not really my cup of tea.

mafyou -> RE: Studio Ghibli (22/7/2007 2:28:20 PM)

I'm glad you have seen it though![:)]

What made it not your thing? We might be able to help you with some other Ghibli releases?

Artoo02 -> RE: Studio Ghibli (22/7/2007 4:34:59 PM)

Howl's Moving Castle is awesome.

quote:

What made it not your thing? We might be able to help you with some other Ghibli releases?

Yeah, we, the Ghibli indoctrination club demand to know! [:D]

Seriously adamdavidsmith, I think Mononoke is great but I find it's a bit different in tone to most Miyazaki films, there isn't as much 'joy' (for want of a better expression) in it.

Charliebois -> RE: Studio Ghibli On C4 This Week! (23/7/2007 7:00:12 PM)

Hi

I'm sure these have all been mentioned but definitely check out Totoro, Nausicaa, Mononoke Hime, Howl's Moving Castle, Porco Rosso, Laputa... It's also worth checking out Whispers of the Heart, a lovely film, Pom Poko, for laughs, My Neighbours the Yamadas, very sweet pastel-shaded animation... Ghibli have a new film out soon called Tales From Earthsea which I've seen but I can't really recommend.

Rhubarb -> RE: Studio Ghibli (23/7/2007 7:18:21 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Artoo02

Howl's Moving Castle is awesome.

quote:

Yeah, we, the Ghibli indoctrination club demand to know! [:D]

Seriously adamdavidsmith, I think Mononoke is great but I find it's a bit different in tone to most Miyazaki films, there isn't as much 'joy' (for want of a better expression) in it.

Yeah that is spot on. Its probably what makes it my favourite of his films, I love it tonally, but it is a little less....magical than his other features

mafyou -> RE: Studio Ghibli (23/7/2007 10:42:07 PM)

I think i will side with Artoo on this one; Mononoke was missing something, i felt. It was still a fantastic film but something just felt a little off. Perhaps it was the fact that it centred more around a male character instead of Miyazaki's usual choice of a girl/young woman like Nausicaa which i preferred to Mononoke even though i saw it after.

the anomaly -> RE: Studio Ghibli (24/7/2007 6:25:29 PM)

Princess Mononoke is my favourite.
Least favourite is probally Howl's Moving Castle. It was hyped up too much for me although I did still enjoy it.

mafyou -> RE: Studio Ghibli (30/7/2007 12:25:47 AM)

What did Empire give Tales From Earthsea in the new issue? I'm going to hopefully get a copy tomorrow but i guess i'm hoping someone else is up at this silly time.

Artoo02 -> RE: Studio Ghibli (30/7/2007 1:56:11 AM)

quote:

What did Empire give Tales From Earthsea in the new issue? I'm going to hopefully get a copy tomorrow but i guess i'm hoping someone else is up at this silly time.

3 Stars, just like I thought they would. Tiny review, but they have a bit about the Miyazakis' feud in the mag too.

mafyou -> RE: Studio Ghibli (30/7/2007 11:43:01 AM)

Cheers Artoo, i've just read the review online myself. I thought they would give it three stars too. But that is what they gave Howl's Moving Castle and i thought that it was a four star film.

I'd  still love to see a Ghibli feature in Empire. Covering history and films etc.

G.O.B -> RE: Studio Ghibli (5/8/2007 3:24:47 PM)

yeah i'm still hoping they'll do a Ghibli feature in Empire.Also Princess Mononoke is on film 4 this friday.just thought i'd let you folks know about it as you may well be like me and not seen it.

Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI