RE: Studio Ghibli (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> World Cinema

Jackie -> RE: Studio Ghibli (18/6/2007 10:00:41 PM)

Oh I actually tried to get hold of Porco Rosso and Pom Poko, but it wasn't on the Uni network [:D] I avoided My Neighbours the Yamadas because I didn't like the look of the animation style (don't really like the sketchy comic-book style, much prefer Miyazaki's artwork!) but I'll have to see if I can find some cheap DVDs from somewhere!

Grazie!

Jackie.

EDIT: So sorry, Artoo! Appear to have missed your post completely!
quote:

ORIGINAL: Artoo0

Of course, mafyou's right, I don't know how I missed Porco Rosso. Some of the slap-stick might be a bit too 'silly' for some, but it's a great film, with lots of depth beyond the sillier bits too. Takahata's other films are definitely worth checking out, Pom Poko is just barmy, Only Yesterday is sweet and quite chilled-out and Yamadas is interesting visually.

I have to say I enjoyed Castle In The Air, whatever age it's aimed at, it's fairly different to Howl's but I'd say just as good. It's true to say Howl and Sophie don't feature that much, but it is supposed to be set in the same world.

I'll have to look into Castle In The Air in that case - I wasn't so sure, but if it's set in the same world then that's pretty much me sold. Have to say, one thing about Howl's that I rather liked was that the 'black world' was Wales! That gave me a good giggle.

mafyou -> RE: Studio Ghibli (19/6/2007 12:01:50 AM)

Good news kiddiewinks, as well as Miyazaki's new film there is going to be a new Takahata too!

Fluke Skywalker -> RE: Studio Ghibli (19/6/2007 9:31:51 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jackie

Oh I actually tried to get hold of Porco Rosso and Pom Poko, but it wasn't on the Uni network [:D] I avoided My Neighbours the Yamadas because I didn't like the look of the animation style (don't really like the sketchy comic-book style, much prefer Miyazaki's artwork!) but I'll have to see if I can find some cheap DVDs from somewhere!

Grazie!

Jackie.

EDIT: So sorry, Artoo! Appear to have missed your post completely!
quote:

ORIGINAL: Artoo0

Of course, mafyou's right, I don't know how I missed Porco Rosso. Some of the slap-stick might be a bit too 'silly' for some, but it's a great film, with lots of depth beyond the sillier bits too. Takahata's other films are definitely worth checking out, Pom Poko is just barmy, Only Yesterday is sweet and quite chilled-out and Yamadas is interesting visually.

I have to say I enjoyed Castle In The Air, whatever age it's aimed at, it's fairly different to Howl's but I'd say just as good. It's true to say Howl and Sophie don't feature that much, but it is supposed to be set in the same world.

I'll have to look into Castle In The Air in that case - I wasn't so sure, but if it's set in the same world then that's pretty much me sold. Have to say, one thing about Howl's that I rather liked was that the 'black world' was Wales! That gave me a good giggle.

It's actually Castle In The Sky! That and Porco Rosso are two of my favourite Studio Ghibli offerings and must be seen

Artoo02 -> RE: Studio Ghibli (19/6/2007 2:00:08 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fluke Skywalker
It's actually Castle In The Sky! That and Porco Rosso are two of my favourite Studio Ghibli offerings and must be seen

You didn't actually read my previous posts did you?[;)] [:D]

I was talking about the Diana Wynne Jones book, a sequel to her Howl's Moving Castle, Castle in the Air. You are quite right that Miyazaki's film is called Castle in the Sky.

Jackie -> RE: Studio Ghibli (22/6/2007 11:57:33 AM)

So I watched Porco Rosso yesterday and was very disappointed by the cop-out ending! The film was pretty good up until that point, but to suddenly insert a voice-over when there's been absolutely none before feels like it was stuck in for the sake of finishing the film. So, not a good ending, but a good film other than that. I've got Grave of the Fireflies to watch later today.

Also received Castle In The Air today, so I'll give it a read and let you know what I think [:)]

Jackie.

Artoo02 -> RE: Studio Ghibli (22/6/2007 2:12:36 PM)

quote:

So I watched Porco Rosso yesterday and was very disappointed by the cop-out ending! The film was pretty good up until that point, but to suddenly insert a voice-over when there's been absolutely none before feels like it was stuck in for the sake of finishing the film.

****Possible SPOILER for those who haven't seen it******

I think the ending works, because it leaves it up to the viewer whether Porco (or Marco, assuming he's changed back) ends up with Gina or not. Being animated, this must have been a conscious decision I think - they could have knocked up a picture of Gina and Marco just as easily. Also, if you look in the bottom-right corner, you'll see a red plane, which is a nice hint without being conclusive. Nausicaa.net has this to say on the subject from its Porco Rosso FAQ:

quote:

Q: Did Gina win her bet?

That is a secret between Gina and Fio. ^_^ The general consensus is, she did. We don't see her waiting in the garden in the last scene. Also, Porco's plane is docked near Gina's private garden when Fio flies over near the end. Miyazaki said that in the scene where Porco remembers what happened during World War I, Porco (then Marco) was on plane No. 4, because he is (to be) the 4th husband of Gina (and Berlini, Gina's first husband, was on plane No. 1 :).[1]

[1]http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/porco/faq.html#bet

mafyou -> RE: Studio Ghibli (22/6/2007 2:21:58 PM)

I got to agree with Artoo, i love the ending to Porco Rosso. I think it is one of my favourite films because of it. I like its ambiguity. 

Jackie -> RE: Studio Ghibli (22/6/2007 6:21:32 PM)

Ah, well as a personal preference I hate inconclusive endings - they just feel really poorly thought out, and the use of a voice-over thrown in always puts me off. I did really enjoy the rest of it though [:D]

Bought Pom Poko and Only Yesterday today in HMV and the guy behind the counter commended me on my choices! He said that Pom Poko is the best Ghibli film he's seen. I'll get back to you on that one when I've watched it.

Jackie.

mafyou -> RE: Studio Ghibli (22/6/2007 6:36:58 PM)

How much were you paying in HMV for those then? I need to really complete my Ghibli collection.

Regarding Porco, you may, with repeated viewings learn to accept the ending. But, even if not the rest of the film is wonderful. I particularly love the scene between Porco and Fio with his flashback to when he became a pig...it's beautiful and very moving.

Can i just say: why the hell has no one replied to my information of a new Takahata film?! I thought that was pretty big!

jamesbondguy -> RE: Studio Ghibli (22/6/2007 7:52:34 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: mafyou

Can i just say: why the hell has no one replied to my information of a new Takahata film?! I thought that was pretty big!

I thought it was excellent- hopefully it's up to the quality of Grave of the Fireflies and Only Yesterday- I guess, since Miyazaki's new film is more like Yamada's animation, than Takahata's is going to use more traditional Ghibli animation?

Jackie -> RE: Studio Ghibli (22/6/2007 8:00:18 PM)

quote:

How much were you paying in HMV for those then? I need to really complete my Ghibli collection.

Regarding Porco, you may, with repeated viewings learn to accept the ending. But, even if not the rest of the film is wonderful. I particularly love the scene between Porco and Fio with his flashback to when he became a pig...it's beautiful and very moving.

15 a piece, unfortunately. But there were a few there which were only 7! I think I ordered Strings off the net the other day, but can't quite remember. Anyone seen it? It's the puppet one.

Maybe, I'm going to get through the rest of my loot first though, I think! I did love that flashback scene though - very well set-up and executed. My favourites are still Howl's and Spirited Away.

Jackie.

PS: I'm excited about both Miyazaki and Takahata's new goodies!

EDIT: Forgot to say, if you're looking for cheap DVDs, go to http://www.find-dvd.co.uk and it'll compare all the DVD prices. I seem to remember dvd.co.uk are selling the Studio Ghibli collection rather cheaply.

G.O.B -> RE: Studio Ghibli (24/6/2007 12:38:10 AM)

quote:

Do we have any details yet e.g title,release date?

Jackie -> RE: Studio Ghibli (24/6/2007 9:55:22 AM)

Quick update on my Ghibli fest: finished watching Only Yesterday, Pom Poko and Grave of the Fireflies yesterday. All absolutely amazing! Didn't know if I was going to like Pom Poko that much, but it turned out to be funny, moving and educational. One of my favourite bits in Only Yesterday was the credits! If you've seen it you'll know what I mean - I love the overlap of the 10-year-old self and the 26-year-old self, it was so sweet. Grave of the Fireflies - just, wow. What a fantastic film. Was fighting back the tears all the way through, even though I knew what was going to happen. It was absolutely amazing. The only thing that bugged me was Setsuko's US voice-over. What an annoying voice!

Still, absolutely fantastic films, really enjoyed them. I've got Strings on its way soon (even though it's not Ghibli!) which I'm looking forward to. Going to have to get my Ghibli collection together and find the rest now!

Jackie.

mafyou -> RE: Studio Ghibli (24/6/2007 10:05:51 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: G.O.B

quote:

Do we have any details yet e.g title,release date?

Sadly, nope. I only just read a tiny little bit about on Ghibliworld. Apparently it was announced by Suzuki on a tv show. It's all very quiet though so i don't know.

G.O.B -> RE: Studio Ghibli (24/6/2007 4:43:31 PM)

Alright,still early days yet,then although really looking forward to it though,does anyone know anything about a new miyazaki film? Also,jackie,grave of the fireflies is probably one of my favourite ghibli films,really heartbreaking and touching.

Jackie -> RE: Studio Ghibli (24/6/2007 10:36:07 PM)

It was fantastic [:D] Definitely worth a few thousand re-watches, but I think from this point on only in Japanese!

Jackie.

G.O.B -> RE: Studio Ghibli (2/7/2007 10:11:15 PM)

Glad you enjoyed it,i don't really mind ghibli dubs because they're usually very proffesionally done.What other ghibli films have still got to see? 

Artoo02 -> RE: Studio Ghibli (2/7/2007 11:34:32 PM)

It shouldn't really be there, (copyright and all that) but if anyone hasn't seen it I highly recommend taking a look on YouTube for Hayao Miyazaki's music video for Chage & Aska's On Your Mark (originally screened alongside Whisper of the Heart in Japan apparently). Sadly not available on DVD in the UK (though it is available from Japan on import as part of the Studio Ghibli Shorts collection). Also more info as always, on nausicaa.net

***Spoiler***
It's pretty fantastic I think (apparently Miyazaki didn't think he did that good a job[!!]), well worth a few repeated viewings as well, the first time might confuse slightly, as it has two endings, just imagine you've gone back in time and are on an alternate timeline or something for the second one...

Jackie -> RE: Studio Ghibli (3/7/2007 12:29:15 AM)

quote:

Glad you enjoyed it,i don't really mind ghibli dubs because they're usually very proffesionally done.What other ghibli films have still got to see?

Good question, er, not sure now... My Neighbours The Yamadas, Lupin III: Castle of Cagliostro, Night of Taneyamagahara, Panda! Go Panda! and Tales From Earthsea, according to Online Ghibli. My aunt was also telling me about Marco (or possibly The Little Norse Prince, I forget which), which I haven't seen, but she said it was fantastic. Am I missing anything off that Ghibli list that I should see?

Jackie.

EDIT: I don't usually mind dubs that much, but Setsuko's dub was driving me CRAZY. It was just so poor, really made me cringe.

mafyou -> RE: Studio Ghibli (3/7/2007 10:58:09 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Artoo02

It shouldn't really be there, (copyright and all that) but if anyone hasn't seen it I highly recommend taking a look on YouTube for Hayao Miyazaki's music video for Chage & Aska's On Your Mark (originally screened alongside Whisper of the Heart in Japan apparently). Sadly not available on DVD in the UK (though it is available from Japan on import as part of the Studio Ghibli Shorts collection). Also more info as always, on nausicaa.net

Yeah i have seen On Your Mark. I love it. I love the song too. I can't believe that Miyazaki didn't like it! Shocker. Indicates he is a bit of a perfectionist.

And Jackie, i don't know if you have already seen but aside from the obvious ones the one you may have not seen is Ocean Waves.

G.O.B -> RE: Studio Ghibli (3/7/2007 10:59:38 AM)

quote:

quote:

Good question, er, not sure now... My Neighbours The Yamadas, Lupin III: Castle of Cagliostro, Night of Taneyamagahara, Panda! Go Panda! and Tales From Earthsea, according to Online Ghibli. My aunt was also telling me about Marco (or possibly The Little Norse Prince, I forget which), which I haven't seen, but she said it was fantastic. Am I missing anything off that Ghibli list that I should see?

Jackie.

EDIT: I don't usually mind dubs that much, but Setsuko's dub was driving me CRAZY. It was just so poor, really made me cringe.

I haven't seen any of those but i've heard good things about Castle of Cagliostro.Have you watched Princess Mononke and/or Nausicaa? if so,i would be interested to hear your opinions on it,as i'm interested in buying them.

Fluke Skywalker -> RE: Studio Ghibli (3/7/2007 12:37:33 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

Jackie.

I haven't seen any of those but i've heard good things about Castle of Cagliostro.Have you watched Princess Mononke and/or Nausicaa? if so,i would be interested to hear your opinions on it,as i'm interested in buying them.

Castle of Cagliostro is great - I really didn't know what to expect because I think it was made in 1979 but it's a fast moving and exciting thriller and definately as good as anything Miyazaki has done IMO.

Princess Mononoke is my favourite Miyazaki work - an epic, beautiful and action packed environmental fable.

Nausicaa is another environmentally themed animation but even though it is highly rated by all I found it ever so slightly dry. Maybe it was because I had seen all his other stuff before this one thus lessening it's impact

mafyou -> RE: Studio Ghibli (3/7/2007 1:32:05 PM)

quote:

Princess Mononoke is my favourite Miyazaki work - an epic, beautiful and action packed environmental fable.

Nausicaa is another environmentally themed animation but even though it is highly rated by all I found it ever so slightly dry. Maybe it was because I had seen all his other stuff before this one thus lessening it's impact

I'm surprised by that actually. I found the two films to be quite similar and i'd have thought if you loved one you'd love the other. I actually think i preferred Nausicaa. Both are fantastic though. As is Castle of Cagliostro.

Jackie -> RE: Studio Ghibli (3/7/2007 2:33:37 PM)

G.O.B. - I have seen Princess Mononoke and Nausicaa and actually really enjoyed them both. I think Princess Mononoke is my favoured one out of the two, but the animation and storyline in both is brilliant. Really worth buying!

Haven't heard of Ocean Waves - is that a Ghibli one?

Jackie.

mafyou -> RE: Studio Ghibli (3/7/2007 4:06:04 PM)

quote:

Haven't heard of Ocean Waves - is that a Ghibli one?

Yup. It's not out in this country. And it doesn't have the involvement of Takahata and Miyzaki or anyone else famous from Ghibli for that matter. It was a let the kids have a go film that was made for Tv. Apparently, it's not as bad as it may seem.[:)]

Fluke Skywalker -> RE: Studio Ghibli (4/7/2007 2:50:52 PM)

I have seen all Miyazaki's stuff, Grave of The Fireflies, Whisper of The Heart and The Cat Returns - what other Studio Ghibli offerings do people recommend?

Artoo02 -> RE: Studio Ghibli (5/7/2007 3:24:50 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fluke Skywalker

I have seen all Miyazaki's stuff, Grave of The Fireflies, Whisper of The Heart and The Cat Returns - what other Studio Ghibli offerings do people recommend?

If you enjoyed all those, anything really... I can honestly say I've never watched a Ghibli film I didn't like.
You still have a bunch of Isao Takahata (Grave[...]'s director) stuff to see like Pom Poko, My Neighbours the Yamadas, Only Yesterday and his first feature film (pre Ghibli) Little Norse Prince (also known as The Adventures of Hols, Prince of the Sun). Ocean Waves and Gauche the Cellist are worth seeing too but aren't out in the UK. I should be getting Tales From Earthsea in the next week or so, I'll post my thoughts on that when I've watched it.

mafyou -> RE: Studio Ghibli (5/7/2007 4:48:49 PM)

quote:

I should be getting Tales From Earthsea in the next week or so, I'll post my thoughts on that when I've watched it.

Cheers that will be really interesting to hear some thoughts on. What edition have you ordered?

Artoo02 -> RE: Studio Ghibli (5/7/2007 6:38:00 PM)

quote:

quote:

I should be getting Tales From Earthsea in the next week or so, I'll post my thoughts on that when I've watched it.

Cheers that will be really interesting to hear some thoughts on. What edition have you ordered?

Both [:)]

Yes I know, obsessed much? [:D]

mafyou -> RE: Studio Ghibli (5/7/2007 6:56:50 PM)

Oh, pretty cool. So the standard and the special edition from Japan? Bet that cost a fortune!!! Can you post some pics if you can? I'd love to have a look!

Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI