RE: Studio Ghibli On C4 This Week! (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> World Cinema

Artoo02 -> RE: Studio Ghibli On C4 This Week! (22/2/2007 5:15:08 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bulletproof_Monk

quote:

ORIGINAL: HIM

quote:

When's Tales of Earthsea out over here? [&:]

Anyone? [:(]

There is currently no release date scheduled in the U.K. after it bombed in the States.

Huh? I think you might be confusing the Sci-Fi Channel's live action TV version. Ghibli/Goro Miyazaki's Tales of Earthsea hasn't had a US release. Because of the Sci-Fi channel's version it can't have a US release until 2009, so it might not get released here until about then (if they wait for a US dub for the subtitle-o-phobes).

Of course the DVD should hopefully be out this year in Japan / Asia.

HIM -> RE: Studio Ghibli On C4 This Week! (22/2/2007 5:26:22 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Artoo02

quote:

quote:

quote:

There is currently no release date scheduled in the U.K. after it bombed in the States.

Huh? I think you might be confusing the Sci-Fi Channel's live action TV version. Ghibli/Goro Miyazaki's Tales of Earthsea hasn't had a US release. Because of the Sci-Fi channel's version it can't have a US release until 2009, so it might not get released here until about then (if they wait for a US dub for the subtitle-o-phobes).

[sm=confused42.gif]

2009?!?!?!?!? That's furkin' aaaaaaaaaaaages away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Will the Jap DVD have English subtitles?

Artoo02 -> RE: Studio Ghibli On C4 This Week! (22/2/2007 5:44:29 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

[sm=confused42.gif]

2009?!?!?!?!? That's furkin' aaaaaaaaaaaages away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Will the Jap DVD have English subtitles?

Hopefully, most of them do. Also, the Honk Kong / Korean versions are much cheaper and often come out soon after the Japanese versions nowadays.

amateur ghostbuster -> RE: Studio Ghibli On C4 This Week! (1/3/2007 7:22:11 PM)

quote:

The only good point she raised was that Ghibli will probably collapse following Miyizaki's retirement as there are currently no younger directors bringing anything new to the table.

Just wondering how old is Isao Takahata? Was he not once a protoge of Hayao Miyazaki? Perhaps he could bear the torch for a while.

Gram123 -> RE: Studio Ghibli On C4 This Week! (2/3/2007 9:30:54 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: amateur ghostbuster
Just wondering how old is Isao Takahata? Was he not once a protoge of Hayao Miyazaki? Perhaps he could bear the torch for a while.

A quick search reveals he was born October 29, 1935, so he's 72 - 6 years older than Miyazaki. So he probaly won't bear the torch for too long...
Rather than Miyazaki's protégé, Takahata was the co-founder of Ghibli.

[image]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/58/Isao_Takahata_%28Director%29.jpg[/image]

==Gram123==

amateur ghostbuster -> RE: Studio Ghibli On C4 This Week! (2/3/2007 6:27:56 PM)

This is hardly reassuring. Just to be a bit of an ignaramous, who apart from the two already mentioned have directed a film for Studio Ghibli?

foz -> RE: Studio Ghibli On C4 This Week! (2/3/2007 7:30:09 PM)

Yoshifumi Kondo directed Whisper of the Heart (as well as being a key animator on many Ghibli films), and was being groomed to be Miyazaki's successor at Ghibli.  Sadly, he passed away in 1998.
Hiroyuki Morita directed WotH's sequel (the Cat Returns), and Hayao Miyazaki's son Goro - whose "proper" job is as an architect, he avoided following in his father's footsteps until he got the gig of designing the Ghibli museum - is directing Earthsea.

Also, Hideyaki "Evangelion" Anno directed Shiki Jitsu, Ghibli's sole live-action non-documentary film to date.

jamesbondguy -> RE: Studio Ghibli On C4 This Week! (11/3/2007 7:09:40 PM)

On the subject of Tales of Earthsea, the second to last Empire reported it as being out this year in the Uk. What up with that?
And on a side note, the HMV website is offering Totoro for 7.99, Cat Returns for 5.99 and The Yamadas for 7.99, in a special deal of some kind. You might wanna check that out....

Amelie_Scotland -> RE: Studio Ghibli On C4 This Week! (11/3/2007 8:53:39 PM)

I bought Laputa: Castle In The Sky for my Miyazaki obsessed little sister.

stargirl991 -> RE: Studio Ghibli On C4 This Week! (24/4/2007 1:05:35 PM)

I love all his films but I think that Princess Mononke and Howls moving castle pretty much top them all. I do like spirited away although I'm sick of hearing it is the best Ghibli film. You can tell alot of work went into the actual animation but I guess it just ain't my cup of tea.
I would also recommend whisper of the heart, a Ghibli film not directed by Miyazaki. Its cute in a innocent teenage sort of way.

KissMyConverse -> RE: Studio Ghibli On C4 This Week! (24/4/2007 1:12:38 PM)

I agree. Princess Mononoke is definitely a more serious film to watch whereas Howls Moving Castle is fun and a sweet love story. I like Spirited Away but not as much as these two. I also recommend Laputa: Castle in the Sky

the sangypange -> RE: Studio Ghibli On C4 This Week! (26/4/2007 7:17:13 PM)

i also like a lot of the Studio gibli films but feel that the best one gets the least mention and that is Nausicaa :valley of the wind, its fantastic the drawings are wonderful and its a great story with a central charater who is very caring strong and has unqusetionable morals

jamesbondguy -> RE: Studio Ghibli On C4 This Week! (3/5/2007 7:27:16 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: the sangypange

i also like a lot of the Studio gibli films but feel that the best one gets the least mention and that is Nausicaa :valley of the wind, its fantastic the drawings are wonderful and its a great story with a central charater who is very caring strong and has unqusetionable morals

Yeah, I agree. It's a great movie- I must track down the original manga graphic novel of it one day....

stargirl991 -> RE: Studio Ghibli On C4 This Week! (17/5/2007 8:39:12 PM)

I havn't seen it but people seem quite complimentary about it. What is the basic storyline?

Deadly_Little_Miho -> RE: Studio Ghibli On C4 This Week! (18/5/2007 10:18:42 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: stargirl991

I havn't seen it but people seem quite complimentary about it. What is the basic storyline?

Basically the world has been all but destroyed, with only a few pockets of humanity struggling for survival against giant Ohm creatures (giant woodlice). Whilst the valley decide to try and destroy the jungle from whence the beasts come, Nausicaa tries to understand what's going on.

There's alot more to it, but that's the basic premise. It's basically a save-the-environment parable stretched into an epic movie.

Fluke Skywalker -> RE: Studio Ghibli On C4 This Week! (18/5/2007 11:29:40 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deadly_Little_Miho

quote:

ORIGINAL: stargirl991

Basically the world has been all but destroyed, with only a few pockets of humanity struggling for survival against giant Ohm creatures (giant woodlice). Whilst the valley decide to try and destroy the jungle from whence the beasts come, Nausicaa tries to understand what's going on.

There's alot more to it, but that's the basic premise. It's basically a save-the-environment parable stretched into an epic movie.

This was one of the last ones I saw and it is often rated one of the best however I feel it's behind the likes of Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away and maybe a couple of others.

It's another one of Miyazaki's eco-fables with a deadly toxic forest spreading across the world and strange giant bugs roaming around. I think it's more downbeat than many of his offerings however and the generally magical feel of his movies is somewhat dampened.

Leomuse -> RE: Studio Ghibli On C4 This Week! (18/5/2007 11:41:50 AM)

Nausicaa kicks arse.

G.O.B -> RE: Studio Ghibli On C4 This Week! (19/5/2007 4:41:16 PM)

I haven't seen Nausicaa or Mononoke yet so they're my next two ghibli films to see.Is Mononoke really as good as it's hyped up to be?

darkcloud -> RE: Studio Ghibli On C4 This Week! (19/5/2007 4:48:14 PM)

Yes, they are definitely  two of Ghibli's finest

G.O.B -> RE: Studio Ghibli On C4 This Week! (19/5/2007 4:50:56 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: darkcloud

Yes, they are definitely  two of Ghibli's finest
#

Thanks for that,must buy them on dvd soon.What's everyone's favourite Ghibli film?

foz -> RE: Studio Ghibli On C4 This Week! (19/5/2007 6:38:33 PM)

Fave?  My Neighbour Totoro.  But (controversy ahoy!) that's only because Castle of Cagliostro - my fave Miyazaki/Takahato thingy - isn't technically a Ghibli film.

mafyou -> RE: Studio Ghibli On C4 This Week! (21/5/2007 7:44:09 PM)

Favourite is close between Spirited Away and Whisper of the Heart. Right now, i'm going to say Whisper

rockerjo -> RE: Studio Ghibli (27/5/2007 2:24:34 PM)

i like

princess mononoke
spirited away
howl's moving castle (a copy of spirited away but worth a watch)
kiki's delivery service
the cat returns (to watch with your kids, you'll love it or hate it)
grave of the fireflies

i dislike

nausicaa: valley of the winds (gets 2 or 3 stars from me, i dont see what people like about it)
little norse prince (awful mess)
pom poko (a load of creatures doing tricks with their bollocks)

thats all i have seen really

foz -> RE: Studio Ghibli On C4 This Week! (27/5/2007 2:48:43 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Whoops - only just noticed this bit...  ToE is out in Japan on July 4 in various versions, and the feature has both English  subtitled and dubbed options.

quote:

ORIGINAL: rockerjo

i dislike

pom poko (a load of creatures doing tricks with their bollocks)

Well, when the entire film is about Tanukis, a Japanese creature famed in mythology for having huge, magic-bestowing knackers (on many Japanese streets, you will see large Taniki statues in the traditional pose - straw hat, bottle of wine in one hand and enormous cobblers that passers-by are encouraged to stroke for good luck), what were you expecting?

mafyou -> RE: Studio Ghibli On C4 This Week! (29/5/2007 2:54:30 PM)

OK, just going to back about 5 posts (sorry!) but i just watched Nausicaa and it is truely amazing. Although there are many comparisons with Princess Mononoke, i reckon that after more than one viewing (this was my first) differences would shine through. Miyazaki has created another amazing character in Nausicaa up their with his best character for sure. Love that film, i'd recommend it to anyone. It also deals with very contemporary issues that need to be dealt with in our world today.

mafyou -> RE: Studio Ghibli On C4 This Week! (29/5/2007 7:27:59 PM)

Ok i vaguely remember Empire reviewing 3/4 Ghibli films a year or so back (Whisper/Totoro/Yamadas were the ones i remember) to tie in with the release of Howl's Moving Castle. I'd really like Empire to do a feature of all the Ghibli releases now that they are all distributed by Optimum (except Ocean Waves). And then throw in an interview with Miyazaki and Suzuki plus a bit about Tales From Earthsea and you have 5 pages of interesting stuff![:)]

Anyone else wish this would happen, is it likely?Or am i living in a dream world?

G.O.B -> RE: Studio Ghibli On C4 This Week! (29/5/2007 8:19:50 PM)

it's a nice fantasy but i doubt it will happen.would love to see it happen,hell why don't you just turn into a 20 page celebration e.g history of ghibli,rereviews of films,interviews,celebrity fans and of course a little bit about earthsea.oh no sorry i got carried away,but a person can dream,cant they?[:D]

mafyou -> RE: Studio Ghibli (29/5/2007 10:17:50 PM)

Ha, indeed. It is a very nice dream. Perhaps, if we're lucky, someone from the Empire team will come and tell us it will never happen or that it will. Unlikely though.

The Optimum dvds are a wasted opportunity as well i think. Empire would have to just review the film as the dvds severely lack extras which is a real shame. Ho hum nevermind!

mafyou -> RE: Studio Ghibli (1/6/2007 2:32:52 PM)

Has anyone watched or preordered Tales From Earthsea?

G.O.B -> RE: Studio Ghibli (10/6/2007 1:56:51 AM)

i guess that means no.anybody seen any reviews or anything in that area?

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI