Studio Ghibli (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> World Cinema

G.O.B -> Studio Ghibli (6/12/2006 8:10:09 PM)

Hi i'm looking for some studio ghibli dvd's to buy so i can see them for the first time.I've seen spirited away and kik's delivery service before and was just wondering do you have any recomendations.

hozay -> RE: Studio Ghibli (7/12/2006 1:26:39 AM)

My favourites are Princess Mononoke and My Neighbour Totoro.
Laputa is quite good too.
yesasia.com stock them all but they are quite expensive.There are two retail chains (K-mart and Target) over here
that have all the Ghibli films for about $20 each,maybe there're similar stores where you are.

[image]http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l114/xzkqpfh12/totoro2_3051.jpg[/image]

Fluke Skywalker -> RE: Studio Ghibli (7/12/2006 12:22:46 PM)

The guy who directed the two films you mentioned is called Hayao Miyazaki - you literally want ALL of his movies.

Mononoke -> RE: Studio Ghibli (20/12/2006 5:57:58 PM)

My Neighbour Totoro [sm=433.gif] is brilliant, by far my favourite.  Other than the one Hozay's mentioned I'd say give Grave Of The Fireflies a go aswell.

Leomuse -> RE: Studio Ghibli (20/12/2006 9:00:19 PM)

Whisper of the Heart

Zatoichi -> RE: Studio Ghibli (21/12/2006 1:35:59 AM)

Grave Of The Fireflies (not by Miyazaki, but still Ghibli)
Laputa: Castle In The Sky

Gram123 -> RE: Studio Ghibli (21/12/2006 8:57:59 AM)

In addition to the ones you have, I'd recommend your first purchases should be Princess Mononoke, Nausicaa Valley Of The Wind and Grave of the Fireflies, all of which are excellent. Then I'd suggest Howl's Moving Castle. These 4 along with Kiki's, Spirited Away are the top 6 IMO.

I personally don't like My Neighbour Totoro as much as many here do, as it's very much for kids, but I guess that would be number 7.
Then Laputa - Castle In The Sky and I suppose Castle Of Cagliostro as numbers 8 and 9.

I would leave Cat Returns and Pom Poko until after all of the above. I thought The Cat Returns was pretty weak, and again very much for a younger audience. Haven't seen Whisper of the Heart, Porco Rosso, My Neighbours The Yamadas or The Little Norse Prince so can't comment on those...

==Gram123==

Artoo02 -> RE: Studio Ghibli (21/12/2006 12:53:03 PM)

Literally all of Miyazaki's films. Cagliostro is of a slightly different style to Miyzaki's later films but still good.
Seeing as you've seen Spirited Away and Kiki's Delivery Service, I'd recommend you watch in this order (for a variety of reasons);

Totoro
Mononoke
Laputa
Nausicaa
Porco Rosso
Howl's Moving Castle
Castle of Cagliostro

And then go for the other Studio Ghibli titles that appeal to you most. After Miyazaki's films, my personal order would be something like;

-Grave of the Fireflies - very sad but very good.
-Whisper of the Heart - not as fantastical as Miyazaki films but has a real charm and warmth to it.

The above films are probably the two I'd say are on arguably on a par in terms of quality, with Miyazaki's features. Then there's;

-Pom Poko - very Japanese, but great fun if you're open-minded about how films can be. An environmental message wrapped up in silliness.
-The Cat Returns - can feel slightly under-finished/too short/not as deep as most other Ghibli titles, but still has much to recommend it, especially visually - definitely see it after Whisper of the Heart, as otherwise you might not get the treatment they give one of the characters.
-My Neighbours the Yamadas - unlike anything else in the Ghibli collection, not very flashy and more a series of stories than one long narrative, but interesting if you're a fan of different animation styles and quite fun.
-The Little Norse Prince - feels a bit old compared to most of the other films mentioned, but good. Worth picking up if you see it cheap (unless you become a total Ghibli convert and simply have to have it!)
-Gauche the Cellist - frustrated cellist gets trained by animals. Amusing.
-Only Yesterday - Maybe rent first. more like a 'normal' film in animation.
-Ocean Waves - Maybe rent first, ditto.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gram123
I personally don't like My Neighbour Totoro as much as many here do, as it's very much for kids

Well, you could say that about all of Miyazaki's films if you wanted to, perhaps excepting Princess Mononoke. Totoro might seem more childish on the surface but it has a depth to it that is both thoughtful and touching. I feel sorry for anyone who would denigrate the film as being 'just for kids' (I know that isn't exactly what you said). Try watching Panda! Ko Panda! (actually great fun in a funny way) and see which is more for kids!! [:D]

Ell -> RE: Studio Ghibli (23/12/2006 9:30:39 PM)

I'd personally reccomend My Neighbour Totoro, Porco Rosso, and Princess Mononoke. I'd personally avoid The Cat Returns.

Artoo02 -> RE: Studio Ghibli (24/12/2006 12:27:57 PM)

I also recommend www.nausicaa.net for lots of info on all the films. It has plot summaries and the like that might give you an idea which order you want to watch things in, but beware of spoilers (though I'd argue really half of knowing a Studio Ghibli film is actually seeing it regardless of knowing the story).

amateur ghostbuster -> RE: Studio Ghibli (24/12/2006 8:25:13 PM)

If you're keen on Ghibli and want a rough estimate on quality check out the top five Miyazaki thread in top tens. Though there are exceptions Miyazaki's films generally make up the best films of Ghibli.

Bulletproof_Monk -> RE: Studio Ghibli (23/1/2007 10:25:11 AM)

Whisper of the Heart is my second favourite Ghibli film after Spirited Away.

I'm turning into a big Ghibli fan. I'm going to the talk at the Barbican in London next month and I'm also visiting the studio itself (!) this summer when I go to Japan.

foz -> RE: Studio Ghibli (23/1/2007 7:48:00 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bulletproof_Monk
I'm also visiting the studio itself (!) this summer when I go to Japan.

Book loooong before you leave for Japan -  it's almost constantly sold out weeks in advance and it's a nightmare to get tickets for.  It's easy enough though to secure tickets from the UK if you order them early enough.  And it's definitely worth the hassle [:D]

Bulletproof_Monk -> RE: Studio Ghibli (24/1/2007 10:59:03 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: foz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bulletproof_Monk
I'm also visiting the studio itself (!) this summer when I go to Japan.

Book loooong before you leave for Japan -  it's almost constantly sold out weeks in advance and it's a nightmare to get tickets for.  It's easy enough though to secure tickets from the UK if you order them early enough.  And it's definitely worth the hassle [:D]

Got them already, thanks though. [sm=happy34.gif]

yellow-bastard -> RE: Studio Ghibli (27/1/2007 1:57:22 AM)

I watched Mononoke again today, I realised how fantastic it is and how much I love it

Wazoo -> RE: Studio Ghibli (31/1/2007 1:28:13 AM)

quote:

Whisper of the Heart

Here, here. The best work they've ever done.

Tohru_Readman -> RE: Studio Ghibli (1/2/2007 11:20:45 PM)

Other than spirited away and kiki's delivery service both wonderful

I recommend all the other studio ghibli films I have which are:

Howl's Moving Castle
My Neighbour Totoro
The Cat Returns
Castle in the Sky
The Castle of Cagliostro
Princess Mononoke
Only Yesterday

Still to pick up a few more myself, but hope to have the rest of the collection soon.

Artoo02 -> Studio Ghibli On C4 This Week! (19/2/2007 6:53:27 PM)

Ghibli films on Channel 4!!

Kiki's Delivery Service was on today... also this week:

(All Channel 4)

The Cat Returns - Tuesday 10.35 AM
My Neighbour Totoro - Thursday 10.20 AM
Laputa: Castle In The Sky - Friday 9.35 AM

Glorfindel -> RE: Studio Ghibli On C4 This Week! (19/2/2007 7:05:49 PM)

Yeah, that surprised the shit out of me. I was flicking between that and The Munsters. And those others are on?! Wahey, Anime goes primetime! Thanks for the info. I watched Totoro a while ago, and I have Cat Returns still to watch.

foz -> RE: Studio Ghibli On C4 This Week! (20/2/2007 12:36:56 AM)

I looked at the Radio Times reviews for these last week - they're all pretty scathing, with Totoro receiving a mere 3 stars... 

Fluke Skywalker -> RE: Studio Ghibli On C4 This Week! (20/2/2007 12:22:40 PM)

My favourite film is Princess Mononoke - an epic action packed eco-fable.
Then it goes without saying the marvelously imaginative Spirited Away, which is the first SG film I saw and made me hunt down all the others.

I think apart from those two the best ones are :

Porco Rosso
Laputa : Castle In The Sky
Lupin III : Castle of Castrioglo (This is from 1979 but bear with it - it's damn exciting and is top quality)

My Neighbour Tortoro and Kiki's Delivery Service are less adult but still very entertaining.

Nausica of The Valley of The Wind is another of his environmetally themed works and I feel is a little darker in tone compared to many of his movies.

Howl's Moving Castle seemed pretty run of the mill. It's undoubtedly a typical Miyazaki job but if you've seen all the others it kind of blends in. Still highly imaginative though.

Overall watch all his movies because they are consistently of a high quality.

HIM -> RE: Studio Ghibli On C4 This Week! (20/2/2007 2:20:11 PM)

When's Tales of Earthsea out over here? [&:]

mad_looney -> RE: Studio Ghibli On C4 This Week! (20/2/2007 3:18:28 PM)

I saw the cat returns today, the first ghibli film ive seen all the way through. Enjoyed it but nothing special. What should i watch next?

Fluke Skywalker -> RE: Studio Ghibli On C4 This Week! (20/2/2007 4:32:30 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: mad_looney

I saw the cat returns today, the first ghibli film ive seen all the way through. Enjoyed it but nothing special. What should i watch next?

The Cat Returns is a pretty average effort. Spirited Away/ Princess Mononoke should be next. Watch the best ones first I say

Glorfindel -> RE: Studio Ghibli On C4 This Week! (20/2/2007 5:18:16 PM)

I picked up Castle Of Caligastro, Whisper Of The Heart, The Cat Returns and Howls Moving Castle in sales, but I haven't gotten around to watching any of them yet (actually, I watched some of Caligastro, but the disc was faulty and I had to get in replaced)! Princess Mononoke is terrific, and Spirited Away is also good stuff (but perhaps a little overhyped), and My Neighbor Totoro is absolutely delightful, but the more serious Grave Of The Fireflies is something else, I actually cried at that!! Roger Ebert called it one of the greatest war films ever made.

G.O.B -> RE: Studio Ghibli On C4 This Week! (21/2/2007 12:23:54 AM)

here's an update on what films i've watched since my last post:howl's moving castle,totoro and grave of the fireflies which is truly moving and a wonderfully made film.

Bulletproof_Monk -> RE: Studio Ghibli On C4 This Week! (21/2/2007 12:09:13 PM)

Oh dear god...

Last night I went to this talk at the Barbican Centre entitled "The Art of Studio Ghibli" which was to be followed by a screening of My Neighbour Totoro. Evening was generally a disaster which I feel compelled to share with you all...

Firstly, the talk. The woman giving it lost a lot of respect from the audience when she called Pan's Labyrinth a "terrible Ghibli knock off" in the first five minutes, and then spent more time talking about Lilo And Stitch and Treasure Planet than any of the Ghibli films. Didn't agree with her argument either that the recent Ghibli films, Spirited Away et al, weren't as good as the earlier ones simply because they were darker. Eh? I could be wrong, but weren't some of the early ones quite dark as well?

The only good point she raised was that Ghibli will probably collapse following Miyizaki's retirement as there are currently no younger directors bringing anything new to the table.

And then: the screening. First of all, the movie started in English and you could sense the audience was about to riot. About ten minutes in, the film was stopped and changed over to the Japanese version, only this time the subtitles were "subtitles for the deaf" meaning that we were treated to subtitles like...

"Howling wind."

"Laughter"

And when no one was talking, the subtitles helpfully added...

"NO AUDIBLE DIALOGUE."

All in all, a bit of a farce of an evening. If I hadn't already seen Totoro, I'd have been really annoyed.

Fluke Skywalker -> RE: Studio Ghibli On C4 This Week! (22/2/2007 10:35:48 AM)

Bloody hell! Sounds like a really badly organised event. The woman seems like someone you put on when the proper speaker falls ill  - i.e. someone who doesn't know jackshit and is trying to blag their way through the whole thing.

The thing about the later films being too dark - has she seen Nausicaa of The Valley of The Wind? The whole world is succumbing to environmental disaster in that movie.

The whole thing smacks of a non-fan setting up an event simply because they knew it would draw the punters in.

HIM -> RE: Studio Ghibli On C4 This Week! (22/2/2007 2:47:51 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: HIM

Anyone? [:(]

Bulletproof_Monk -> RE: Studio Ghibli On C4 This Week! (22/2/2007 5:03:43 PM)

quote:

quote:

Anyone? [:(]

There is currently no release date scheduled in the U.K. after it bombed in the States.

Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI