RE: New Line----yooo suuuckk !!!! (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News

Miksterious -> RE: New Line----yooo suuuckk !!!! (20/11/2006 11:45:13 PM)

It wont be done guys, rest assured.

There is no way that New Line can put all these wheels in motion to any great extent before they lose the rights to the film. They'll dally around looking for a director and a vision and cast and they'll probably speak to all of the original cast first, who will likely reject the idea meaning that they'll have to start re-casting. Directors dont particularly like working in that way. They'll need new script-writers etc etc. This will stay in development hell for so long that MGM will probably start making this film in earnest before New Line do and by then they'll have the original script-writers, director, cast, composer, sets and most likely a bigger budget and by the point New Line will just decide that its not worth pursuing the film any further.

Andrew Hauser -> Jackon's a genius (21/11/2006 2:09:31 AM)

And I have great confidence we'll see him back on these movies in the next few months.

This is letter addressed to New Line, not the fans. They tried to play tough, so he acted accordingly. Hes basically just given them bad press for 2 films that aren't even green-lit yet, and managed to present himself as the victim. No doubt New Line weren't planning on announcing any of this untlil the new director(s) were in place. Jackson's ruined that noe, given them some bad press, given himself some good press, and basically stalled any production before its started. The whole tone of the letter is immactuately conceived in order to get New Line to reopen negotations/back down.

The Todge -> RE: New Line----yooo suuuckk !!!! (21/11/2006 2:09:51 AM)

As I see it, there are two possibilities.

1. New Line are so desperate to hang on to this they do an "X3" and hire a hack to get it moving and deliver a crapfest.

2.  None of the cast from LOTR decide to return out of loyalty to Jackson, no high profile directors want to touch it and the rights slip away.  By which time Jackson is getting through The Lovely Bones and MGM snap up the rights and everythings back on track again.

Course theres always the possibility if the cast and fans get behind Jackson in a huge way that New Line realise they are being cunts and  sort it out.

We shall see.

keyzersaulsie -> Brett Ratner must have been sat by the phone... (21/11/2006 7:53:45 AM)

... for the last week straight without a single minute of sleep.

"Why don't it ring? Why don't it ring? Why won't it ring?"

It rings.

It's his agent.

"Because you're the man who gave the world Chris Tucker and kills other people's franchises."

25/m/nerd -> Give it up fan boys (21/11/2006 8:40:13 AM)

Look i loved LOTR and would love to see Jackson make the hobbit.
But if he is not to return to this then why not instead of blasting the movie even before anyone has been confrim to directed it, give it a fucking chance. Lucas came back to do the star wars perqeuls and look how that bag of dog crap turned out. So come off your peter jackson is god stools and give some new blood a chance. We all know what Jackson's take on Toilken is why not give some one a go to take what he's done and add there twist on it as well, becuase The hobbit is whole world away from the Fellowship of the rings unless you prats have not actually read tolkiens novels.

mukrause -> I think 25/m/nerd is right... (21/11/2006 9:43:11 AM)

... that another director might do a very good, if not better job. I think Peter Jackson is a genius when it comes to the visualisation of middle earth, but I find his cutting quite awkward, expecially in The Return of the King. Sudden jumps and anticlimaxes. For example, why let the witchking shrink and then not let us dwell a little bit? No comparison with the drama and eeriness of that scene in the book. So many things could have been much darker and with more suspense. The ironic laugh that Jackson gives at the end of the commentary to the return of the king is actually quite telling. He might not have been so happy himself. Well, this is not the place for a review of the trilogy, but the hobbit made by someone who let's us dwell a little more on middle-earth, and creates more atmosphere and suspense might not be that bad. One the other hand, I think that the design of the hobbit must be consistent with the LOTR, and that makes the case for Jackson very strong. And Ian McKellen MUST play Gandalf, and Elrond MUST be played by Hugo Weaving. Well and after all, Saruman may well have to return, so Christopher Lee should show up again. Which they all may do even if Jackson does other stuff. Well, bottom line, let's not be sooo pessimistic.

Flatulent_Bob -> RE: New Line----yooo suuuckk !!!! (21/11/2006 11:01:05 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miksterious

they'll probably speak to all of the original cast first, who will likely reject the idea

quote:

You need to think about the stars who were handpicked for LotR. None of them work for the money, all of them work for the craft

[sm=happy07.gif] The deluded fanboys and fangirls. I think you are expecting rather too much of these actors if you think they would refuse on principle.
Bloom, Christopher Lee, John Rhys-Davies, Austin, Wood  thats just off the top of my head all have been known to pimp for the coin. Plus for the Hobbit who would return from the orginial cast?

McKellen?  Da Vinci, X3 not exactly great scripts but good money.
Weaving?  Matrix sequels, V for Vendetta
Holm?  Loch Ness, existenz, Bless the child, From Hell, The day after tomorrow.  Great actor but would do anything for the money.

If New Line bank roll it again most of these will all return.

clare -> It won't be the same! (21/11/2006 11:13:14 AM)

Peter Jackson dealt with LOTR spectacularly and I'm saying that as a HUGE fan of the books. He made me love the films without spoiling the books for me. Middleearth is now his land! How could they take it away from him?! How can another director possibly create Middleearth as well as Peter Jackson did without copying his ideas? It's ludicrous!!!

The2ndRing -> RE: It won't be the same! (21/11/2006 11:26:21 AM)

I really doubt any of the main cast will want to come back for this, although I suppose it is something we'll just have to wait and see.  Don'tbe surprised if some point down the line Jackson makes his own version. 

The2ndRing -> RE: The Hobbit (21/11/2006 11:29:41 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

Surely the likes of Ian McKellen, Andy Serkis, Christopher Lee and possibly Ian Holm would only return if Peter Jackson returned also? Methinks New Line may have shot themselves in the foot over this one. Didn't they make enough cash from the films?!

I think Andy Serkis is definitely the one they need, and the one they won't get, ahhh gaaad Gollum will just be so crap. 

Flatulent_Bob -> RE: The Hobbit (21/11/2006 11:33:26 AM)

A lot of new posters seems to be appearing on these threads.  I think Wingnuts propoganda drive is kicking in.

Fluke Skywalker -> RE: The Hobbit (21/11/2006 11:44:10 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flatulent_Bob

A lot of new posters seems to be appearing on these threads.  I think Wingnuts propoganda drive is kicking in.

[sm=happy07.gif]

25/m/nerd -> Actors returning (21/11/2006 11:47:27 AM)

Dont mean to put alot of num nuts in there place here.......but haven't a shit load of the cast of all the movies returned to do voices in so many of the fantastic LOTR games.........surley there doing it for the money and the fans, So if Jackson doesnt turn up for The hobbit I've got a good feeling that Ian, Lee, Hugo and Cate will all turn up seeing that there all together doing the White council game for EA and i'm pretty sure Peter aint holding there hands. Whats that Barbie?

kingoftheducks -> RE: The Hobbit (21/11/2006 11:52:39 AM)

Well, let's just accept the fact that New Line are going to hire a hack and get this made... here's how I see it...

The Hobbit (Directed by Uwe Boll, "I base it on computer game, yes?")

Starring Ashton Kutcher as Bilbo Baggins, SIR Ben Kingsley as SIR Gandalf the Grey and Stephen Dorff as Gollum, with special dragon effects cut-n-pasted from 'Dungeons & Dragons', featuring the hit single 'Ho'-Bbitch' by 50 Cent.

I can't wait!

Indiana Jones -> RE: I think it's called that... but not sure. (21/11/2006 12:22:20 PM)

Crazy, just crazy by New Line tbh.

tbird -> RE: I think it's called that... but not sure. (21/11/2006 12:25:30 PM)

I can't imagine this with anyone else but Jackson at the helm.

Seems a shame.

But then, what do I know? It might turn out to be an amazing film!

The2ndRing -> RE: I think it's called that... but not sure. (21/11/2006 1:15:11 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: tbird

Seems a shame.

But it won't, Jackson and Weta etc charcacterised the films, and without them it will just pale in comparison

Ti -> NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! (21/11/2006 1:49:44 PM)

Peter Jackson and CO are the reason this trilogy was so successful! New Line should work things out with them, these two movies will bring in another $2 billion or more!

sking79uk -> I really hope this sucks big time now... (21/11/2006 1:56:48 PM)

I was REALLY looking forward to the Hobbit by PJ. Now it seems New Line have shafted the team that put them in the big league, I really hope that all the LOTR cast which New Line might want back tell them to shove it where the sun don't shine. It's a real shame that this franchise was so successful because it was made by passionate, creative people who aren't part of the usual Hollywood system and now looks to be ruined by greedy studio execs...

mariasilva -> The power of the Ring? (21/11/2006 2:00:02 PM)

And I thought that the magic of the Ring was just a figment of Tolkien's imagination...OOOPPSS! Looks like we have another Smeagol down the (New)line!

Hugs from Lisbon Portugal
Maria Silva

Cuchulainn -> RE: The Hobbit (21/11/2006 2:15:52 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: kingoftheducks

Well, let's just accept the fact that New Line are going to hire a hack and get this made... here's how I see it...

Starring Ashton Kutcher as Bilbo Baggins, SIR Ben Kingsley as SIR Gandalf the Grey and Stephen Dorff as Gollum, with special dragon effects cut-n-pasted from 'Dungeons & Dragons', featuring the hit single 'Ho'-Bbitch' by 50 Cent.

I can't wait!

That's just too likely...New Line really are 'gay',aren't they?

The Todge -> RE: The Hobbit (21/11/2006 2:19:20 PM)

Well MGM have responded at least in part:

Who's the boss of "The Hobbit"?
This question has been growing more heated in recent weeks as the principal parties involved in the film -- New Line, MGM and director Peter Jackson -- have been duking it out, each staking their claim as a key player in "The Hobbit" along with a prequel to "The Lord of the Rings."
Behind the jostling is the fact that while New Line owns the rights to produce the pic, MGM owns the distribution rights and Jackson is the creative force behind the franchise's staggering success.
In the most recent flurry of events, Peter Jackson and producing partner Fran Walsh posted a letter Sunday night on the "LOTR" fan site Theonering.net saying that New Line told them last week that it was going to make "The Hobbit" without their services.
The letter also reiterated in detail Jackson's stance on "The Hobbit" -- that he is not willing to have a serious conversation about directing the film until his ongoing lawsuit with New Line over what he considers improper accounting practices over "LOTR" profits is settled.
New Line's given reason for proceeding sans Jackson is that the studio's rights to the pic are about to expire, and seeing as the lawsuit with Jackson isn't moving ahead, well, the message was that New Line is.
All of this has riled MGM, which in recent weeks has been openly touting the fact that the newly revamped studio is serious about making "The Hobbit" -- with Jackson.
An MGM spokesman said that "the matter of Peter Jackson directing 'The Hobbit' films is far from closed."
Though New Line no-commented inquiries about Jackson's statement, the mini-major's move is a loud statement to both MGM and Jackson that the studio is in the driver's seat when it comes to "The Hobbit."
Jackson noted in his letter that New Line exec Mark Ordesky, who shepherded the "Rings" trilogy, explained that New Line is ditching Jackson because it has a "limited time option" on the film rights obtained from Saul Zaentz.
There are already online revolts from fans who can't fathom a "Hobbit" directed by anyone else, and Jackson makes clear in his letter that he's not budging on the issue of the lawsuit or "The Hobbit."

ORDESKY YOU BIG RUBBISH!!! [:D]

PhilMul -> Where does the blame really lie? (21/11/2006 2:22:23 PM)

There seems to be a fair amount of flak in the direction of New Line here and a lot of sympathy for PJ. I think we should step back and look at what is really goin on here. Pre-LOTR, PJ was completely untried in films of this scale, and nobody wanted to know about his crazy idea to make 2 LOTR films. It was New Line who made the visionary decision to back PJ and go for 3 films with a gargantuan budget. The rest is history and PJ has become a very wealthy individual off the back of New Line's faith in him (as well as his own talent, but without New Line that talent would not have had the chance to flourish). Yet now PJ is suing New Line for even more money! Talk about biting the hand that feeds! Frankly, I'm surprised that New Line even considered for a moment employing PJ with this law suit hanging over them. So come on PJ, stop being greedy, drop this lawsuit and make the Hobbit - or is money more important than movies?

damn im good! -> RE: The Hobbit (21/11/2006 3:25:08 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: kingoftheducks

I can't wait!

Damn! Whens this out and why havn't I heard of it before now? It's gonna rock!

[8|][sm=huh.gif][sm=893flamed-thumb.gif]

tbird -> RE: I think it's called that... but not sure. (21/11/2006 3:53:41 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: The2ndRing

quote:

ORIGINAL: tbird

Seems a shame.

But it won't, Jackson and Weta etc charcacterised the films, and without them it will just pale in comparison

I personally agree with you, but I'm trying not to write off an adaptation without Jackson completely, even if I can't imagine it at all for the moment.

The Todge -> RE: I think it's called that... but not sure. (21/11/2006 7:26:58 PM)

The One Ring.net has produced a list of contacts and also features the list of petitions should anybody want to do anything.

http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/8/1164129588

Dave_25 -> Studio Suicide (21/11/2006 8:22:30 PM)

The Hobbit without Jackson is like an Alien Film without weaver.....and what did we get? AVP....think about it New Line. I personally will not go to see a version of the Hobbit that is made by anyone other than Jackson and I don't think i'm the only one. The boycot starts here :-(

gemsev -> ... (21/11/2006 8:43:21 PM)

Seriously?

jonedney -> You cannot be serious! (21/11/2006 8:46:37 PM)

Peter Jackson is the only director that can bring The Hobbit to the screen successfully. He worked wonders with LOTR and I find it difficult to believe that they don't want to keep the same atmosphere and styles that he and WETA brought to LOTR for The Hobbit. Surely it won't be half as good. It will certainly be shorter!!!!

Isawien -> We have a feeling Ringers across the globe will have something to say about this… (21/11/2006 10:19:01 PM)

too right we are going to have something to say about this!! "The Hobbit" without Peter Jacksons crew? Impossible! The reason why I fell in love with TLOTR books is because of PJs films, how can Peter Jackson NOT direct it?

Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI