Jackson Loses The Hobbit (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News

Empire Admin -> Jackson Loses The Hobbit (20/11/2006 8:53:40 AM)

Post your comments on this article

CameronJames -> (20/11/2006 8:53:41 AM)

Well 'The Hobbit' has just gone from something I was interested to see if it could be pulled of to something I honestly just plain don't give a shit about, and this LOTR prequel, is that not the Hobbit then?

Timon -> The Hobbit (20/11/2006 9:00:34 AM)

Surely the likes of Ian McKellen, Andy Serkis, Christopher Lee and possibly Ian Holm would only return if Peter Jackson returned also? Methinks New Line may have shot themselves in the foot over this one. Didn't they make enough cash from the films?!

Timon -> The Hobbit (20/11/2006 9:04:59 AM)

Surely the likes of Ian McKellen, Andy Serkis, Christopher Lee and possibly Ian Holm would only return if Peter Jackson returned also? Methinks New Line may have shot themselves in the foot over this one. Didn't they make enough cash from the films?!

25/m/nerd -> What!!!!!! (20/11/2006 9:16:00 AM)

We all would love to see the Hobbit making it on to the big screen, and without the Peter Jackson touch to it, will it be the same. I dont think any other director will want to touch this movie if he has to follow in the foot steps of jackson himself. But if someone does try to take on this task then fair play to him or her. The movie should be based on how good the story is, how fantastic it looks not on some dope sitting the whole way through it saying " Peter wouldnt have done it like that".
Screw Flanders

Histeria -> RE: What!!!!!! (20/11/2006 9:19:24 AM)

This has to be one of the worst business decisions a studio has in quite a while. I, too, will be interested to see what the major cast 'returnees' will have to say. This one is going to get messy if it gets made at all. Maybe they could get Joel Schumacher?

boys_dont_cry -> RE: What!!!!!! (20/11/2006 9:19:25 AM)

Oh dear New Line.....

I can see this one sitting in development hell for a long time. Its gonna need to be a director with some massive balls to take this from under Jackson.

bupesh -> RE: What!!!!!! (20/11/2006 9:21:42 AM)

I guess this means New Line will ask Steven Sommers to stomp in and ruin a brillaint story. I would have hoped MGM had some pull and would still be pushing for Peter Jackson.

Halfling -> Hmm... (20/11/2006 9:26:19 AM)

I'm probably one of the very few LOTR fans that wasn't actually that fussed about The Hobbit being made. Having said that, the thought of it being made without Team Jackson at the helm is beyong belief. This issue between New Line and Wingnut should have been resolved ages ago, but I wonder just who has made the biggest faux pas here - New Line or Jackson? Let's be honest, for all Jackson's brilliance, I think he can be a stubborn bastard - I wonder just how much he was truly bothered about returning to Middle-earth, especially on the back of recent comments claiming that video games were becomming more exciting to him now than making movies. I think all concerned need to take a big reality check and ask themselves just why they are in this business. The outcome will be interesting, and probably disappointing.

jasperoosterveld -> (20/11/2006 9:36:14 AM)

This is unbelievable! Jackson is LOTR and Middle Earth! What the hell is going on here, new line should be ashamed of itselfs. I hope they can still work it out in the future.

But i have a great idea! Why not hire Brat Rattner! He is "awesome" in continuing sagas.......one of the best directors ever........

bupesh -> RE: (20/11/2006 9:40:55 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jasperoosterveld

This is unbelievable! Jackson is LOTR and Middle Earth! What the hell is going on here, new line should be ashamed of itselfs. I hope they can still work it out in the future.

But i have a great idea! Why not hire Brat Rattner! He is "awesome" in continuing sagas.......one of the best directors ever........

as much as you were joking that actually hurt! lol ratner must be one of the biggest hacks in hollywood

mukrause -> But Saul Saentz said... (20/11/2006 9:49:33 AM)

...that Jackson will definitely be directing the Hobbit. He said that in an interview with the German magazine 'Cinema'. Apparently, it is just a question of waiting until the rights go back to him in 2007. (this is as of Nov 17, 2006). See the message on http://derhobbit-film.de/index.shtml.
So there is hope!
Michael

mukrause -> But Saul Saentz said... (20/11/2006 9:54:07 AM)

...that Jackson will definitely be directing the Hobbit. He said that in an interview with the German magazine 'Cinema'. Apparently, it is just a question of waiting until the rights go back to him in 2007. (this is as of Nov 17, 2006). See the message on http://derhobbit-film.de/index.shtml.
So there is hope!
Michael

Rumpledink -> This is a very clever move by Jackson ... (20/11/2006 10:01:24 AM)

to unleash the fans on New Line forcing them to resolve the law suit (whatever the outcome) so team jackson can just get on with making the movie. Hope it doesn't backfire and the suits decide to go ahead with some hack due to pride. New Line trying to blackmail Jackson was a silly move, jackson hits back the best way he can. Your move New Line!

jpt1976 -> Idiots. (20/11/2006 10:06:15 AM)

Can't think of anything else to say really.

Kilo_T_Mortal -> RE: Idiots. (20/11/2006 10:24:39 AM)

Me neither

skeletonjack -> RE: Idiots. (20/11/2006 10:30:32 AM)

New Line Mentality........

New Line exec 1: "I got it. We gotta make a Mask sequel"
New Line exec 2: " Ain't Carrey gonna cost a bomb?"
New Line exec 1: "Fuck Carrey, we don't need him".....................

New Line exec 1: "I really got it this time. Dumb and Dumber 2.
New Line exec 2: "I like it, I'll get Daniels, Carrey and those Farrelly boys on  the phone"
New Line exec 1: "No need, get this: We hire two unknowns and show them as kids in school."
New Line exec 2: "I dunno?"
New Line exec 1: "Did I mention it'll feature Jims Dad from that pie fucking movie? Kids love him."
New Line exec 2: " Fuckin' A!.............

Flatulent_Bob -> RE: Idiots. (20/11/2006 10:36:19 AM)

Idiots?  The only idiots are you guys if you think this is anything more than sabre rattling. New Line want this pushed through with the law suit, wingnut are playing hardball, its all part of the corporate game. Wingnut knew the fans opinion would be with Jackson which is why they let the story out.
This story has more legs in it yet.  In a few weeks/days New Line will announce that they have a director before it all falls flats because of MGM, creative differences etc.

Don't know why I'm bothered though, I just hope Jackson makes it like Fellowship rather than Return of the King. If he does he would finally have a claim to the best trilogy ever made. Whereas at the moment he isn't anywhere near.

boredbluekoala -> "FUCKING MORONS" (20/11/2006 10:46:02 AM)

I guess we shouldn't be surprised by this, the real surprise was that we got such good movies to begin with. By the way, I'm interested if anyone can name ANY prequel that lived up to the originals? Don't worry, there are plenty of talent-free directors out there just waiting to ruin The Hobbit,

D.L. -> Not With Jackson! Not with us! (20/11/2006 10:55:29 AM)

Right…

Firstly I’d like to propose that Empire, as the world’s best movie magazine, coordinate some sort of petition to New Line to reinstate Jackson and Wingnut. As far as I’m concerned this movie should not happen without his or his company’s involvement.

Also, as pointed out by Mukrause earlier this morning, the rights to The Hobbit film apparently revert back to producer Saul Saentz in 2007, which would mean that the project could then be taken by him back to Jackson. Indeed the producer has stated in a recent interview that his intension is for Jackson to direct the film (see http://derhobbit-film.de/indexengl.shtml).

This of course would mean that if progress on the production of the film were stalled until this time, there would again be a chance for Jackson to direct.

My second point is then that there should now also be a campaign to MGM asking them not to cooperate with New Line in a joint production.

In this manner the film could be delayed until next year. At this point MGM could then go into talks with Saul Saentz instead. They would also stand to profit much more heavily from The Hobbit in this situation. As it has become clear over the past months, MGM seem very supportive of the idea of Jackson as director. Surely the above will be the best way to insure Jackson’s involvement.

If fans and Empire could see there way to helping with this matter online and by any other means I’m sure it would be much appreciated by not only myself, but by all of the LOTR fans that view Empire Online and who read the magazine.

Lets get The Hobbit made the right way.

AgentGoth -> RE: "FUCKING MORONS" (20/11/2006 10:56:23 AM)

Great. The Hobbit is of my favourite stories ever, so I really can't wait until they hire someone to fuck it up.

Peter Jackson is the only director who should be allowed anywhere near Middle Earth. I bet they hire someone shot like Uwe Ball. They'd probably think it was a good idea at the time.

If Peter Jackson isn't involved with this... I shall not be watching. It'll be crap.

Funk_Knight -> YOU EEEEEEIDIOTSSSSSS (20/11/2006 11:03:48 AM)

My title says it all!!!

UGonnaBarkAllDayDog? -> I think it's called that... but not sure. (20/11/2006 11:04:45 AM)

If only the execs had the mirror of Glandriel... then they could look into the future and see what a major fuck up this idea is going to be!

Jasper -> RE: Jackson Loses The Hobbit (20/11/2006 11:24:41 AM)

I think New Line will give this one to Brett Ratner.

eowyn2k -> RIP The HOBBIT (20/11/2006 11:25:31 AM)

I am so dissapointed with New Line for being so damn pathetic. It's not just about money, it's about making a classic movie that deserves to be made properly. I will not be going to see any Hobbit that hasn't got Peter's involvment. Can you imagine, they'll make it like Narnia, aaaahhh! Btw you can go to New line's website and email them. I think bombarding them with complaints is a start. It is a great shame that they only went there and not back again. :(

Jasper -> RE: "FUCKING MORONS" (20/11/2006 11:25:46 AM)

quote:

If Peter Jackson isn't involved with this... I shall not be watching. It'll be crap.

Did you see King Kong?

[:'(] 

The Todge -> RE: Not With Jackson! Not with us! (20/11/2006 11:31:32 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: D.L.

Right…

Firstly I'd like to propose that Empire, as the world's best movie magazine, coordinate some sort of petition to New Line to reinstate Jackson and Wingnut. As far as I'm concerned this movie should not happen without his or his company's involvement.

Also, as pointed out by Mukrause earlier this morning, the rights to The Hobbit film apparently revert back to producer Saul Saentz in 2007, which would mean that the project could then be taken by him back to Jackson. Indeed the producer has stated in a recent interview that his intension is for Jackson to direct the film (see http://derhobbit-film.de/indexengl.shtml).

This of course would mean that if progress on the production of the film were stalled until this time, there would again be a chance for Jackson to direct.

My second point is then that there should now also be a campaign to MGM asking them not to cooperate with New Line in a joint production.

In this manner the film could be delayed until next year. At this point MGM could then go into talks with Saul Saentz instead. They would also stand to profit much more heavily from The Hobbit in this situation. As it has become clear over the past months, MGM seem very supportive of the idea of Jackson as director. Surely the above will be the best way to insure Jackson's involvement.

If fans and Empire could see there way to helping with this matter online and by any other means I'm sure it would be much appreciated by not only myself, but by all of the LOTR fans that view Empire Online and who read the magazine.

Fuckin A!!!

I'm totally behind that.  I detest online petitions and communities (especially in the light of the one set up to rip into Daniel Craig), but this one WOULD be heard and would have to be taken.

Anybody sets up a petition and I'll sign it.  Let's delay the bastard and get it done right.

If they hire Brett Ratner, there's gonna be blood spilled.

UGonnaBarkAllDayDog? -> I think it's called that... but not sure. (20/11/2006 11:33:13 AM)

If only the execs had the mirror of Glandriel... then they could look into the future and see what a major fuck up this idea is going to be!

Flatulent_Bob -> RE: Not With Jackson! Not with us! (20/11/2006 11:33:35 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: D.L.

Right…

Firstly I'd like to propose that Empire, as the world's best movie magazine,

[8|]

quote:

In this manner the film could be delayed until next year. At this point MGM could then go into talks with Saul Saentz instead. They would also stand to profit much more heavily from The Hobbit in this situation. As it has become clear over the past months, MGM seem very supportive of the idea of Jackson as director. Surely the above will be the best way to insure Jackson's involvement.

If fans and Empire could see there way to helping with this matter online and by any other means I'm sure it would be much appreciated by not only myself, but by all of the LOTR fans that view Empire Online and who read the magazine.

So basically you are hoping that both MGM and New Line will miss up the chance to make hundreds of million of dollars in order to get Jackson. I don't think so this film will make money because all you guys will go and watch it regardless, even if only to slag it off.
MGM will make the deal that gets them the money, New Line will push a deal through. Its Jackson thats got a call to make, does he want to make these films or not?  If so he needs to swallow his pride, New Line as far as I see have all the cards and going by Wingnut releasing this to the press Jackson is hitting the panic button. He needs a big hit after Kong espeically as Bones is a lower budget flick. The deal will be made when Jackson gets off his high horse.

UGonnaBarkAllDayDog? -> I think it's called that... but not sure. (20/11/2006 11:36:04 AM)

Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI