Register  |   Log In  |
Sign up to our weekly newsletter
Search
Empire Magazine and iPad
Follow Me on Pinterest YouTube Tumblr
Empire
Trending On Empire
100 Greatest Videos Games Of All Time
Robin Williams: The Big Interview
Empire Visits The Hobbit's VFX Team
Nick Frost:
My Movie Life

The World's End star's pick of the flicks
4Music's Size Does Matter
Introducing your new favourite app
Feature
Prometheus Trailer #2 Breakdown
A shot-by-shot look at the second epic trailer

submit to reddit

The second trailer for Ridley Scott’s Prometheus launched today and has already caused something of a stir. Over the course of two and a half minutes, this trailer fills in some more details about the overall storyline of Scott’s first sci-fi movie in 30 years, gives us more of a sense of its epic scope, and – in a couple of shots at least – explicitly says that this, after all the speculation, is a prequel to Alien. Here, in an incredibly detailed trailer breakdown, Chris Hewitt explores the links and much more. Warning: there are what appear to be MASSIVE SPOILERS in this breakdown. Do NOT read on if you haven’t seen the trailer, or if you want to go into Prometheus as pure and unspoiled as John Hurt’s T-shirt before lunch on the Nostromo.

WORDS CHRIS HEWITT
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ...
  1 of 61 Next

We begin with a tranquil shot of a waterfall that gradually reveals a huge spaceship, moving away from the falls.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ...

1 of 61

Have Your Say
Register or login now to let us know what you think.

Your Comments

1 Filmed picy of Skye
http://www.empireonline.com/images/uploaded/newpromethe us8.jpg That's the Old Man of Storr. Skye not Iceland. More

Posted by boristhespie on Monday March 26, 2012, 21:33

I read part of a script from a proposed sequel to Aliens that featured tiny xenomorphs (and farmers in space, and an alien virus that turned entire spaceships into xeno-type entities). It was terrible, but there are echoes of that tiny alien idea here. There was also that more famous script where Hicks is the hero and the aliens reproduce via respirable spores following some tinkering, resulting in hosts mutating rather than being walking incubators- which, again, appears to be present here (mutated crew member?). What I've seen of Prometheus so far suggests that it's something far grander than either of those scripts would have been. This has connections to Alien, but it's about a lot of bigger ideas than gnashing teeth and acid blood (although I do hope they show up). All the mis-steps and could've beens in this series have lead to this reinvention... Still, would've liked to have seen Vincent Ward's Alien 3 with the monks on the wooden planet. More

Posted by sweetladybrick on Monday March 26, 2012, 20:33

3 Correction:
I was referring to image 56, not 60... More

Posted by darthshellers on Sunday March 25, 2012, 21:31

4 Doesn't look like the Space Jockey from Alien.
The creature on board the derelict in Alien was much bigger than the one seen in image 60. Also, what we have in Prometheus appears to be wearing a helmet; the space jockey's head in Alien looks like skeletal bone. There are also some subtle - but significant - design differences in the chair as well. More

Posted by darthshellers on Sunday March 25, 2012, 21:29

5 p. nr. 60
IIRC space jockey in the original "alien" was dead and chest(stomach?)-bursted, so xeno with some features similar to the host must have had spawned out of him, but nostromo crew didn't encounter it. so maybe crew of prometheus had encountered it? :) if so this is not original space jockey in picture nr 60, but a grown xeno that popped out of jockey, then we can say that there are xenos in the "prometheus", just not in traditional(?)humanlike form... More

Posted by tad82 on Sunday March 25, 2012, 18:21

6 The Big Head
they must have based it on Mads Mikkelson. Why are the space jockeys just waiting on a shitty planet instead of getting out there and fucking shit up all across the universe??? there's your movie right there. More

Posted by drico on Friday March 23, 2012, 22:07

7 Page 29
“What is that?” asks a voice that, given its Scottish lilt, we presume belong to Ford Ridley hasn't got Harrison in doing his dodgy Lord Clarence McDonald accent from Last Crusade has he? "this is an alien pyramid isn't it? there are tapestries?" "This is an alien pyramid and we have many tapestries, and if you are a Scottish lord then I am Mickey Mouse!" .... oh you meant, Kate Dickie's character Ford. More

Posted by Our Sully on Friday March 23, 2012, 18:57

8 The BIG HEAD
Is it just me or does the BIG HEAD have a little resemblance to Guy Pearce? More

Posted by jem0013 on Friday March 23, 2012, 09:34

9 RE: Slapped wrist!
L: cawykes Well that's me told! It still looks amazing and I can't wait. One more thing, if you're thinking of seeing Titanic 3D...it sinksl...ooops, spoilt that for you now haven't I :) sp; I'd suggest stowing the sarcasm away on the sinking ship - spoiler rules are taken seriously on this board. You /b] refer to detail from source material when discussing a future film as this is effectively a spoiler and not all Batman film fans give a toss about the comics (if, eg, you tried it in the Game of Thrones thread you'd be teetering on a ban for trolling).   In addition, this is not a thread about Batman - it is unfair to discuss it in here anyway without appropriate spoiler signposting - either use inivisotext code, light text and also clearly signpost it as a spoiler up front. More

Posted by elab49 on Friday March 23, 2012, 09:30

10 RE: Slapped wrist!
L: cawykes Well that's me told! It still looks amazing and I can't wait. One more thing, if you're thinking of seeing Titanic 3D...it sinksl...ooops, spoilt that for you now haven't I :) ea that's the same...*claps slowly* nyway stepping away from 'Forum Posting for the Village Idiot'; wasn't this going to be the start of a couple of films? Did I read somewhere that this was going to be the start of a couple of films to start up the franchise again? More

Posted by waltham1979 on Friday March 23, 2012, 08:31

11 Slapped wrist!
Well that's me told! It still looks amazing and I can't wait. One more thing, if you're thinking of seeing Titanic 3D...it sinksl...ooops, spoilt that for you now haven't I :) More

Posted by cawykes on Thursday March 22, 2012, 14:21

12 RE: Brain hurts
L: cawykes Dear waltham1979 - What do you think forums are for exactly? Are we just supposed to come on here and go "umm, yes the trailer looks good" I am perfectly entitled to speculate what I think may happen in a film as I haven't seen it, so how the cocker-doody am I spoiling something that none of us know will happen? As for the Batman comment, any self respecting fan of Batman will know the history of the Bane character and what he does in the comics, so hardly spoiling that, again I'm speculating. If the films were on general release and I gave a scene by scene account of what happens, then by all means complain. sm=schild15.gif] I have no desire to get into a tit-tat debate on what forum's are for; all I ask is that when it comes to reveal potential spoilers about a film that is unrelated to this one; that you simply add a spoiler alert. As you said 'any self-respecting fan of Batman' will know the history of Bane; but believe it or not this whole forum is not filMore

Posted by waltham1979 on Thursday March 22, 2012, 13:17

13 RE: Prometheus Trailer #2 Breakdown
I'm just so overwhelmed! I think that there are some spoilers here, but to be honest we can't say it gives anything away because we haven't actually seen the movie! (It always works out like this - we get snippets and assume the ultimate best or ultimate worst and then freak out either way.) Personally, this is second in my most anticipated movies of (pretty much) all time. I'd like to thank my dad for letting me watch the alien series at a young age haha! I've been waiting such a long time to see who this Space Jockey is, and whilst I agree with the idea of Alien being so successful because it was full of secrets and 'hmmm's', you just gotta PRAISE RIDLEY for actually doing this. I thought he never would. Sorry for rambling. also. that THING on p. 45 gives me the chills every time. EVERY-TIME! PRAYING FOR AN 18 CERTIFICATE RATING! More

Posted by BabsyBuck on Wednesday March 21, 2012, 19:57

14 RE: Brain hurts
Dear waltham1979 - What do you think forums are for exactly? Are we just supposed to come on here and go "umm, yes the trailer looks good" I am perfectly entitled to speculate what I think may happen in a film as I haven't seen it, so how the cocker-doody am I spoiling something that none of us know will happen? As for the Batman comment, any self respecting fan of Batman will know the history of the Bane character and what he does in the comics, so hardly spoiling that, again I'm speculating. If the films were on general release and I gave a scene by scene account of what happens, then by all means complain. More

Posted by cawykes on Wednesday March 21, 2012, 10:27

15 the eggs - shot 42
don't know if anyone else has commented but there's egg shapes on the right - teenie weenie ones - micro aliens perhaps - "Big things have small beginnings" Also the Guy Pearce role is being underplayed, so he must have a John Hurt "Contact" type role - "A King's reign comes to an end, it is inevitable" - More

Posted by mateyboy2 on Wednesday March 21, 2012, 09:57

16 the eggs - shot 42

Posted by mateyboy2 on Wednesday March 21, 2012, 09:06

17 RE: Number 17
L: dee123 Is a reference to 3rd rock from the sun? right? h yeah. More

Posted by Ulmaceae on Tuesday March 20, 2012, 22:42

Has anyone else noticed the vague Alien head on the lower left of photo #10? More

Posted by indysgill on Tuesday March 20, 2012, 20:12

19 The One film I'm most looking forward to this year
This is gunna be great! I do like these trailer break downs but sometimes they do just read as descriptions for the blind, rather than interesting ideas and possibilities for the actual film, but this one was good. More

Posted by fantastic mr ethan on Tuesday March 20, 2012, 19:54

20 Hmm
Didn't know Iceland owned the Isle of Skye. When did that happen? More

Posted by johnnyrox on Tuesday March 20, 2012, 19:53

Next Page

SPECIAL FEATURE
The 301 Greatest Movies Of All Time EMPIRE READERS' POLL: THE 301 GREATEST MOVIES OF ALL TIME
You turned out in your hundreds and thousands, and here are the results... Browse the full list

CURRENT HIGHLIGHTS
The Many Deaths Of Sean Bean
The actor talks us through his on-screen offings

Rogues Gallery: Powers Boothe
Sin City's Roark talks us through his most memorable baddies

Richard Attenborough: In Celebration
Saluting a man who made a lasting impact on cinema and beyond…

Exclusive: Luc Besson Talks Lucy
'There is no bullshit with Scarlett Johansson'

Video: Daniel Radcliffe Talks What If...
On Gordon Ramsay, swearing and date movies

The 24 Best Film-Related Ice Bucket Challenges
The viral craze that won’t quit takes in some of Hollywood’s finest

Who Shot First? The Complete List Of Star Wars Changes
An exhaustive chronology of George Lucas' post-release tinkering

Get 6 Issues Of Empire For Only £15!

Get exclusive subscriber-only covers each month!

Get The Empire iPad Edition Today

Subscribe and save maney on annual digital subscription

Buy single issues

Get 6 issues of Empire for just £15!
Get the world's greatest movie magazine delivered straight to your door! Subscribe today!
Empire's Film Studies 101 Series
Everything you ever wanted to know about filmmaking but were afraid to ask...
The Empire iPad Edition
With exclusive extras, interactive features, trailers and much more! Download now
Home  |  News  |  Blogs  |  Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Interviews  |  Images  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  iPad  |  Podcast  |  Magazine Contact Us  |  Empire FAQ  |  Subscribe To Empire  |  Register
© Bauer Consumer Media Ltd  |  Legal Info  |  Privacy Policy  |  Bauer Entertainment Network
Bauer Consumer Media Ltd (company number 01176085 and registered address 1 Lincoln Court, Lincoln Road, Peterborough, England PE1 2RF)