Register  |   Log In  |
Sign up to our weekly newsletter
Search
Empire Magazine and iPad
Follow Me on Pinterest YouTube Tumblr
Empire
Trending On Empire
Empire's New Tom Cruise Cover
The Jameson Empire Awards 2014
Vote: The Greatest 301 Movies Of All Time!
Rebecca Hall:
My Movie Life

The actress picks the movies that shaped her
Mountain Dew Green Screen
Register now to see X-Men: First Class!
Feature
40 Unbelievable Movie Sequels You Never Knew Existed
Cousin Eddie's Island to Wild Things: Foursome… and back again

submit to reddit

We live in a world where Lake Placid 4: The Final Chapter exists. The distributor sent us a cake to the office and everything! Some of us, it transpired, were not even aware that there had been a Lake Placid 2, and this turned our easily distracted minds to the world of the Direct-To-Video sequel, where franchises can continue apparently without anybody watching them. Here, then, is a representative sample - though we'd love your suggestions for an expanded follow-up feature. Never Back Down 2: The Beatdown? Timecop 2: The Berlin Decision? The Rise And Fall Of A White Collar Hooligan 2: England Away? Let us know what should be added in the comment box below...

WORDS OWEN WILLIAMS
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ...
  1 of 40 Next

American Psycho

Director: Mary Harron
Starring: Christian Bale, Willem Dafoe, Jared Leto
Budget: $7m
Box Office: $34m

Plot: Adaptation of Bret Easton Ellis’ violent satirical novel. The film gives us Christian Bale in his breakout grown-up role as Patrick Bateman, a faceless Wall Street suit having a serial killing meltdown in the hideous 1980s. Something of a modern American classic, Ellis’ book was considered basically unfilmable, but Harron gave it a decent stab and managed to keep the jet-black humour and a lot of the ambiguity.

American Psycho 2

Director: Morgan J. Freeman
Starring: Mila Kunis, William Shatner

Plot: A slasher film with a new female psycho, and the tagline “Angrier, deadlier, sexier”. It’s possible that somebody didn’t quite understand the point of the original. Mila Kunis is the killer (not a spoiler, that) and William Shatner plays a former fed who’s now a college professor. It was 2002: he hadn’t got Boston Legal yet. This was originally a standalone screenplay called The Girl Who Wouldn’t Die. The hastily written-in connection to American Psycho is that Kunis’ babysitter dated Patrick Bateman. Only once, though…

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ...

1 of 40

Have Your Say
Register or login now to let us know what you think.

Your Comments

1 Actually...
I actually KNEW some Of these sequels existed, mainly the Disney ones. More

Posted by Darren47 on Saturday October 12, 2013, 12:36

Ugh. I can't believe that I actually know all but about three of those. I also hate that I am shocked to discover the omissions of Bachelor Party 2: The Last Temptation starring Harland Williams The Net 2.0 Arrival II with Patrick Muldoon Sniper 2-4 Substitute 2-4 Butterfly Effect 2-3, Dukes of Hazard prequel and Lake Placid 2-4 More

Posted by AgentDesmond on Thursday June 20, 2013, 19:59

3 The curses of working in CEX
As an ex CEX employee I have heard of approximately 25 of these, thankfully not seen any of them though. The amount of awful straight to DVD sequels that used to come through the doors, perfectly emcompasses the more money than sense idea. I think recognition should be given to the long running franchises of some films, for example seven Children of the Corn films seems a little excessive. Also Titanic 2 anyone? More

Posted by spaniel on Wednesday June 19, 2013, 13:55

"Cruel Intentions 3 (2004) meanwhile, revolves around Kerr Smith. She’s supposed to be Gellar/Adams’s cousin, but that tenuous connection is all you get." Um, Kerr Smith is a guy. Don't you dare get Dawson's Creek facts wrong when I'm around. More

Posted by odddaze on Saturday June 15, 2013, 00:22

5 RE: Poor functionality
L: joehodrien I'm sure this list is interesting, but it's far too clunky and tiresome to click through. Must the entire page reload for each entry? I made it to about the tenth one before giving up. Webmasters take note! hey do - I think it's clicks and how they relate to advertising income. I hate it too More

Posted by elab49 on Friday June 14, 2013, 23:58

6 RE: The Prophecy
I pretty much knew all of those existed. Except, the Mighty Ducks animated movie, although as that isn't actually a sequel, I still feel good about my knowledge of shit films. More

Posted by Shifty Bench on Friday June 14, 2013, 23:50

7 The Prophecy
They're up to about no. 5 hris Walken buggered off a long time ago! More

Posted by Bleaz79 on Thursday June 13, 2013, 13:02

The Skulls (2000) featured Paul Walker and Joshua Jackson was followed by The Skulls 2 (2002) starring Robin Dunne, a fixture on this list I believe and The Skulls 3 (2004) starring no-one unless you count Barry Bostwick from The Rocky Horror Picture Show. Bachelor Party (1984) starring the legendary Tom Hanks followed in 2008 by Bachelor Party 2: The Last Temptation starring literally no one. As you can tell I've far to much time on my hands and have heard and or seen most of the films on this list! More

Posted by Flaming Mane on Thursday June 13, 2013, 11:49

9 Poor functionality
I'm sure this list is interesting, but it's far too clunky and tiresome to click through. Must the entire page reload for each entry? I made it to about the tenth one before giving up. Webmasters take note! More

Posted by joehodrien on Thursday June 13, 2013, 08:04

Posted by Flaming Mane on Thursday June 13, 2013, 00:08

Out of the 40 I wasn't supposed to know existed, I knew about 24...don't know what that says about me... More

Posted by Boomer340 on Wednesday June 12, 2013, 20:10

The Next Karate Kid, Fortress 2: Re-Entry, Home Alone 3 and 4, Starship Troopers 2 and 3 More

Posted by Sharky J Mansour on Wednesday June 12, 2013, 19:38

13 30 Days of Night 2
30 Days of Night: Dark Days http://www.movienewz.com/30-days-of-night-dark-days/ More

Posted by newguy on Wednesday June 12, 2013, 19:00

14 Troll - Troll 2
My favorite worst film of all time - Troll 2 - 1990 Director: Claudio Fragasso The worst plot - Goblins trying to get you to eat their fluorescent green pies so that you will turn into a plant so that then they can eat you (!?!?!?0 The worst script - OMG it is sooooo bad ! Elliott: "I'm the victim of a nocturnal rapture. I have to release my lowest instincts with a woman." UNBELIEVABLY worst acting - seriously, watching this with friends + beer takes twice as long, as you have to rewind it to see just how bad it was ! Worst effects - may have been created in the directors shed. If so he does not have Peter Jackson's flair for the home effects. This was recommended to me by Eli Roth at Halloween, where he tweeted his top 5 Halloween movies, and I can see why. IT'S SO TERRIBLE - IT'S BRILLIANT ! The punch-line......? There are no Trolls in it. It has nothing to do with John Carl Buechler's 1986 Troll whatsoever. More

Posted by danielthompson99 on Wednesday June 12, 2013, 11:24

Yesterday I discovered, via Amazon recommendations, Amelie 2 exists. It's really a completely unrelated film that just stars Audry Tatou called Happenstance, but the ad men saw an opportunity. I still want to see it though :( More

Posted by chrysalisloall on Wednesday June 12, 2013, 08:21

A Christmas Story 2 starring Daniel Stern http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2281069/?ref_=sr_2 More

Posted by matsnowie on Wednesday June 12, 2013, 05:08

superheromaddie- It's also worth mentioning that the same person who dealt with Scream/I Know What You Did Last Summer, also directed Dawson's Creek..... More

Posted by DeadEvil on Wednesday June 12, 2013, 04:43

18 2 more
Adam's Family Reunion and The Birds 2 (no, really....) More

Posted by xzynomorpher on Tuesday June 11, 2013, 23:01

19 Shock-ed!
For me the biggest omission on this list has to be the horrible sequel to Rocky Horror Picture Show, Shock Treatment! More

Posted by Mschell8 on Tuesday June 11, 2013, 18:31

I think it needs to be emphasized that American Psycho 2 was directed by the creator of MTV show Teen Mom More

Posted by superheromaddie on Tuesday June 11, 2013, 18:04

Next Page

CURRENT HIGHLIGHTS
The Best Barry Norman Anecdotes From His Empire Podcast Interview
From nearly punching Robert De Niro to the real story about ‘And why not?’

Empire 300th Issue: The Directors' Cut Cover
Spielberg, Whedon, Fincher, Abrams Mann and more take over

Fired! Losing Your Job In The Movies
The lowdown on getting dismissed on film

20 Not So Super '-Men' That Won't Star In A Film Any Time Soon
Forget your Batmen, your Spider-Men and your Ant-Men… Meet 3-D Man (and his pals)

The Making Of Locke: A Filmmaker's Journey
Steven Knight takes us through six pitstops (via Heston Services)

Tom Hardy: A Viewer's Guide
The essential, the recommended, the one for the fans... and the one to avoid

Ten Things To Know About The Spooks Movie
Under the hood of The Greater Good

Get The Empire iPad Edition Today

Subscribe and save money on annual digital subscription

Buy single issues

Get Limited Edition Collectable X-Men Art Cards

Subscribe today and get 6 issues of Empire plus a set of collectable X-Men Art Cards for only £20!

Get 12 Issues Of Empire For Just £25
Receive limited edition subscribers-only covers every month Subscribe today!
Empire's Film Studies 101 Series
Everything you ever wanted to know about filmmaking but were afraid to ask...
The Empire iPad Edition
With exclusive extras, interactive features, trailers and much more! Download now
Home  |  News  |  Blogs  |  Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Interviews  |  Images  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  iPad  |  Podcast  |  Magazine Contact Us  |  Empire FAQ  |  Subscribe To Empire  |  Register
© Bauer Consumer Media Ltd  |  Legal Info  |  Privacy Policy  |  Bauer Entertainment Network
Bauer Consumer Media Ltd (company number 01176085 and registered address 1 Lincoln Court, Lincoln Road, Peterborough, England PE1 2RF)