8. THIRD TIME LUCKY After waiting in the shadows for so long, Iron Man 3 promises to put Mr Mandarin front and centre. Ben Kingsley is giving him a stately appearance, crossed with a little Genghis Khan for good measure. He’s even got the ten rings of power on his hand, which makes us wonder whether we’ll see him use them. After Thor’s introduction into the Marvel cinematic universe, it’s possible, though Marvel Studios boss Kevin Feige told Entertainment Weekly that, “Tony is earthbound and facing earthbound villains. You will not find magic power rings firing ice and flame beams.” Spoilsport! But he does hint that they have some use…
9. STARK TARGET In keeping with his origins, a big part of the Mandarin’s mandate seems to be screwing things up royally for Robert Downey Jr’s Tony Stark. Among his dastardly deeds? Destroying Stark’s swanky oceanfront Malibu pad – with our hero and Gwyneth Paltrow’s Pepper Potts inside. From the looks of the choppers, he’s also found a way to raise an army beyond his terrorist organisations.
10. FEIGE'S FEELINGS Some may be concerned that Kinglsey isn’t ethnic Chinese, and is playing a man who has always been identified as such. Feige says that the filmmakers were going for a tone rather than a direct translation of the character. “It’s less about his specific ethnicity than the symbolism of various cultures and iconography that he perverts for his own end. It is Tony who, for various reasons, finds himself receding into the darkness. I don’t mean emotional darkness, I mean literally ducking out of the spotlight. And we’ll see other characters stepping up who have pulled strings from the background, starting to show their hand.” Welcome, Mr M. Can we call you Mandy? We’ve been expecting you…
Don't be pathetic. Denzel Washington played a part originally played by Frank Sinatra in The Manchurian Candidate. Charlton Heston in The Omega Man was replaced by Will Smith in I Am Legend. And the late, great Michael Clarke Duncan played Kingpin in Daredevil who in the comics is a caucasian.? Those casting decisions are not less racist in any way.
chip off your shoulder and know your facts and stop jumping on the race thing.et me started on hobbits and dwarves on those stupid Tolkien movies. For years - for DECADES - every short actor in the world had waited the serious adaptations of LOTR and The Hobbit, so they'd finaly had the chance to play something good in serious roles. And then what happened? Hollywood decided to cast norman sized actors on those roles which is just as insulting as use white actors with painted faces in black roles back in the silent era. More
Posted by Pelle on Tuesday November 6, 2012, 20:14
Don't be pathetic. Denzel Washington played a part originally played by Frank Sinatra in The Manchurian Candidate. Charlton Heston in The Omega Man was replaced by Will Smith in I Am Legend. And the late, great Michael Clarke Duncan played Kingpin in Daredevil who in the comics is a caucasian. Get the chip off your shoulder and know your facts and stop jumping on the race thing. Ben Kingsley is a fantastic actor and he will bring massive gravitas to this role. More
Posted by paulbarberella on Thursday November 1, 2012, 16:01
1) Ben Kingsley, real name Krishna Pandit Bhanji, is half Indian.
2) They're specifically stated that he's not Chinese in the movie. So why would they cast a Chinese actor? It's not a direct adaptation of the comic. Jarvis is a computerised voice in the movies, for pete's sake! More
Posted by loafroaster on Thursday November 1, 2012, 15:37
Perfect example of Hollywood racism to cast white englishman as chinese. I want Yun-Fat Chow, Tony Leung or even Jackie Chan to play the part that was meant for they peolpe! More
Posted by Pelle on Wednesday October 31, 2012, 12:22