Register  |   Log In  |
Sign up to our weekly newsletter
Search
Empire Magazine and iPad
Follow Me on Pinterest YouTube Tumblr
Empire
Trending On Empire
The 301 Greatest Movies Of All Time!
Empire's Guardians Of The Galaxy Cover
Does Star Wars Have A Brain Trust?
Nick Frost:
My Movie Life

The World's End star's pick of the flicks
Subscribe today and save 37% off the cover price!
Feature
The Future Of Star Wars: Possible Plots For Episode VII
Possible inspiration for the new adventures in a galaxy far, far away…

submit to reddit

In the most surprising and exciting piece of news in years, the Walt Disney company has bought Lucasfilm and is planning at least three new Star Wars films. While there is already a treatment in existence for the first one, and the company is still locking in the creative team and focus for a 2015 release, we thought we’d offer some fun suggestions based on the expanded universe…

WORDS JAMES WHITE
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
  1 of 11 Next
The Future Of Star Wars: Possible Plots For Episode VII | Heir To The Empire
Heir To The Empire

Background
Timothy Zahn’s book trilogy first hit shelves in 1991, before the prequel films were more than a rumour on the wind. Set five years after the events of Return Of The Jedi, it finds Han and Leia expecting twins and Luke leading the rebuilt Jedi order. But Grand Admiral Thrawn, the Emperor’s last surviving Warlord, has gathered the remnants of the Imperial Fleet and wants to take back the galaxy by force.

How It Might Work
Obviously, the presence of Luke and co means some potentially controversial re-casting of the main characters, unless performance capture is factored in, which is a big risk. But the novel trilogy offers a thrilling chance to see our heroes back in action and a compelling villain in Thrawn, long a fan favourite in the books and games.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

1 of 11

Have Your Say
Register or login now to let us know what you think.

Your Comments

1 Lending a Han-d
I would so love to see Timothy Zahn's Thrawn series as the next Trilogy. An absolutely brilliant set of books that I fell in love with straight away. As for the recasting issue, there are plenty of decent age-appropriate actors that could take on the Luke/Leia roles but for me there is only one for Han Solo ...talented, witty and the spitting image of a young Harrison Ford ...Stargate: Atlantis Alum Joe Flannigan would be perfect. More

Posted by Rahl on Wednesday November 7, 2012, 17:37

2 bridging the gaps between both trilogys
Some of the items listed sound a good idea. However what about doing the following books: Labyrinth if evil set between episode 2 and three where general grevious arrives in the republic and kidnaps palpatine. Shadows of the empire set between episode 5 and 6 which shows the the alliance planning to rescue Han from jabba the hutt a and last of all the truce at bakura set right after episode 6 where the rebels try and bring peace to bakura. More

Posted by jamesdh on Saturday November 3, 2012, 14:55

3 Going Solo
if Lucas has learnt ONE thing and only ONE thing from the star wars prequels...we NEED a han solo character. We need someone of questionable moral character! It can't be all jedi! The problem with the prequels is we re-visit so many of the gems of the original series (like luke's hand being cut off and anakin's) we need to create something new! Thrawn was a favourite charcter growing up and dark troopers were an excelent toy to have! Like vader and the terminator! More

Posted by makeminemedia on Friday November 2, 2012, 19:40

4 Once again I find myself questioning why I come to this site
stick to telling us movie news and interviews and creating imaginative stories to real writers, Empire. More

Posted by potemkin1925 on Friday November 2, 2012, 15:06

5 Once again I find myself questioning why I come to this site

Posted by potemkin1925 on Friday November 2, 2012, 15:06

Ugh, PLEASE no to NJO and Legacy of the Force. Those series were "Star Wars" in name only, nothing about them fit with the feel of the Trilogy, and TONS of it made absolutely no sense. Jacen Solo as a Sith Lord? Please. And how the heck does an unstable and psychotic megalomaniacal war criminal like Daala (who btw, gets my vote as one of the WORST Star Wars villains EVER) get elected head of the government she spent most of her life FIGHTING? Especially when all the major players of said government KNEW SHE WAS NUTS. And whoever thought killing Mara Jade was a GOOD idea? Yeah, brilliant move. Anything that flushes NJO and LotF out of continuity would be an improvement. As far as I'm concerned they never happened, anyway, and I stop with the Hand of Thrawn. That said, I DO want to see Mara in the movies. As I mentioned above she's one of the most popular characters in the entire franchise and her fanbase is probably larger than that of the entire Prequel Trilogy. There'dMore

Posted by Ambaryerno on Friday November 2, 2012, 02:51

I think that most of these movie suggestions for Episod VII are well wide of the mark. No way are they going to do anything set in the distant past. Maybe something a couple of decades after the events of Return of the Jedi but I think thay they will keep it simple and carry on more or less after where Jedi left off. Casting new actors worked perfectly in the Star Trek reboot so I don´t see why it shouldn´t work for Star Wars with new actors playing Luke, Han and Leia. Any story without these characters is just going to be 2nd best just as we saw with the inferior prequels. More

Posted by elmorello on Friday November 2, 2012, 00:12

8 http://commonprosperity.org/
I think it's more likely that none of these sources will provide either the inspiration or the storyline for a new trilogy. It's been noted that the treatment for EP 7 has been outlined by Lucas himself, and he's hardly likely to base his last creative involvement for his creation on someone else's fan fiction (however canonical or not the Star Wars community deem it to be!) And that suits me just fine - with the idea out there that we'll be getting new Star Wars from a new creative team (building blocks supplied by Lucas - fine) the last thing I'd want is for it to be based on a storyline that's already been attempted - Give me NEW! (oh, and for the record, I'd be very surprised to see any of the original trilogy actors in this - new characters, new stars, possibly with hereditary links to what has gone before...?!?) Whatever, this is great news in my opinion!!! More More

Posted by common41 on Thursday November 1, 2012, 11:18

9 OR...NONE OF THE ABOVE!

Posted by crossinski on Wednesday October 31, 2012, 15:16

10 Hopefully something new in a galaxy we all know!!!
I hope we don't do this again!!!! Fans start saying what should or should not happen in the next films.... Thrawn is one of my favorite characters, and the Heir to Empire Trilogy is one of the best series IMO, but...hopefully, this is gonna be new fresh Star Wars. There is a video on You Tube called Star Wars: The SKYWALKER Saga (Episode I-VI) so what ever is next may be a new saga altogether. Anyhoo - I think that they may do away with LEGACY comics (not to be confused with 'Legacy of the Force'), (Thank goodness!!!) as the major events surrounding Jacen Solo may have triggered a different future (New Jedi Order - Legacy of the Force - Fate of the Jedi). Just had a new though! I wonder if JJ Abrams is moving the earth to direct...? More

Posted by Funk_Knight on Wednesday October 31, 2012, 15:11

11 Cinematic Moment
Sorry to be a geek, but there is a proto Star Destroyer crash landing on Coruscant in Revenge of the Sith... More

Posted by edward.reed on Wednesday October 31, 2012, 15:08

12 GREAT BLOG ON STARWARS.COM
This is a great blog from Steve Sansweet and JW RInzler over at starwars.com talking about the subsequent trilogies and how they & George Lucas have discussed over the years. Well worth a read: Sansweet - http://starwarsblog.starwars.com/index.php/2012/10/30/l ucasfilm-disney-more-star-wars-and-great-times-for-fans / Rinzler: http://starwarsblog.starwars.com/index.php/2012/10/30/t he-long-winding-and-shapeshifting-trail-to-episodes-vii -viii-ix/ More

Posted by djphilla on Wednesday October 31, 2012, 14:20

13 A Thrawn trilogy adaptation is most likely
Heir to the Empire and its sequels are probably closest in story and in feel to the other movies, and Disney won't want to take a big gamble with a story that's too farfetched or in a too distant future (or past) for mainstream fans. If they're going to continue this trend of making more movies, It would be nice to see it develop into the New Jedi Order, Legacy of the Force and SW: Legacy , although I don't know how well some of it will translate to film without filling in the plot elements and events of stories in between. I don't care for Dark Empire at all; that story is atrocious and should be ignored. As cool as Rogue Squadron is in concept, I don't know if it's relevant enough for fans of the force power/lightsaber fight crowd and people who want to see their favorite characters from the films. I have no problem with Boba Fett's return, as long as it isn't in Dark Empire. The biggest possibility I see is for Disney to ignore/rewrite the Expanded Universe altogether. Nobody More

Posted by jfalconic on Wednesday October 31, 2012, 14:19

14 Disney Star Wars film?
Now that Disney have the rights I'm worred,, I mean what if they make a kid friendly Star Wars movie, based around an annoying child and goofy idiotic characters and,,,, oh no, wait! More

Posted by Jamie_M on Wednesday October 31, 2012, 14:05

15 Thrawn trilogy! - spin-offs best left to TV...
I always thought Timothy Zahn's Thrawn trilogy was a good continuation of the story and have suspected that at some point George Lucas would look into developing it into films, but there are some obvious big problems with casting etc. and I wouldn't expect to see Heir to the Empire as a film for another decade if at all. As for the more sort of spin-offs of the franchise, TV shows seem a great idea (especially with the films' lesser, but still much loved, characters - yes I mean Boba Fett), however spin-off films seem a bad idea to me... More

Posted by ZakE94 on Wednesday October 31, 2012, 13:30

16 Legacy of the Force
Only issue I see with Legacy Of The Force is that Jacen Solo's arc could wind up looking very similar to that of Anakin's in the prequels. Otherwise I'd love to see the original characters brought back. However, anyone who thinks the original cast would ever come back are dreaming. More

Posted by Ben Myers on Wednesday October 31, 2012, 13:27

Please can we have: Jar Jar Binks! In an adventure with Ewoks! Can't be worse than Attack of the Clones... More

Posted by DanTDavies on Wednesday October 31, 2012, 12:24

18 Legacy of the Force!
Wouldn't give Christina Hendricks a lightsaber! what about Gina Carano?! More

Posted by P3RCY on Wednesday October 31, 2012, 12:18

No! No Legacy of the Force! Do you really think Mark Hamill would come back to do a cameo? Harrison Ford? No way Jose. It would never work. My money's on the Legacy comic series which I started reading a couple of years ago. New characters, great story, a darker, more mature take on the franchise (main dude Cade Skywalker is a Force wielding bounty hunter who may or may not be a crackhead) and an awesome villain with ties to the Clone Wars. Let's go! More

Posted by Razorus on Wednesday October 31, 2012, 12:12

20 Legacy of the Force...
Has to be a Legacy based film. The series of books was so awesome. Plus i like the idea of getting the original actors back as supporting characters to keep the connection with the original trilogy going, while having new characters at the forefront Could be great! More

Posted by TCaredda on Wednesday October 31, 2012, 11:29

Next Page

SPECIAL FEATURE
The 301 Greatest Movies Of All Time EMPIRE READERS' POLL: THE 301 GREATEST MOVIES OF ALL TIME
You turned out in your hundreds and thousands, and here are the results... Browse the full list

CURRENT HIGHLIGHTS
Empire's Guardians Of The Galaxy Review
Our official verdict on Marvel's latest addition to their cinematic universe

Frank Grillo's Ten Toughest Hollywood Tough Guys
The Purge: Anarchy star picks his favourite badasses

Role By Role With Joel McHale
The star of The Soup and Community on Spider-Man 2 and much more

'I Have The Club But I Didn't Get The Lion's Head'
Dwayne Johnson (and pals) talks Hercules props, action and ancient superheroes

Classic Feature: The Making Of The Silence Of The Lambs
Is this the most frightening movie ever made?

Classic Feature: Jack Nicholson - Gods Among Us
Charisma, consistency and cunning summed up in a single word: Jack.

Peter Fonda On Peter Fonda
The Hollywood legend relives his career highlights

Get The 301 Greatest Movies Of All Time Subscribers' Cover

Subscribe today and get the cover and 3 issues for only £10!

Get The Empire iPad Edition Today

Subscribe and save maney on annual digital subscription

Buy single issues

Get 6 issues of Empire for just £15!
Get the world's greatest movie magazine delivered straight to your door! Subscribe today!
Empire's Film Studies 101 Series
Everything you ever wanted to know about filmmaking but were afraid to ask...
The Empire iPad Edition
With exclusive extras, interactive features, trailers and much more! Download now
Home  |  News  |  Blogs  |  Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Interviews  |  Images  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  iPad  |  Podcast  |  Magazine Contact Us  |  Empire FAQ  |  Subscribe To Empire  |  Register
© Bauer Consumer Media Ltd  |  Legal Info  |  Privacy Policy  |  Bauer Entertainment Network
Bauer Consumer Media Ltd (company number 01176085 and registered address 1 Lincoln Court, Lincoln Road, Peterborough, England PE1 2RF)