Bill Murray loves golf and he loves baseball. Because of this, if you want to see the lesser-spotted Bill Murray in the wild for yourself, you’re best off heading to any of the numerous charity golf tournaments he takes part in or buying a ticket to a baseball game at any of the four minor league teams he part owns, namely the St. Paul Saints, the Fort Myers Miracle, the Hudson Valley Renegades and the Charleston RiverDogs, where his official title is ‘Director of Fun’.
34) As an example of him directing some fun, here’s Bill mucking about on the RiverDogs’ tarpaulin to entertain the crowds during a rain delay. And by “mucking about”, we mean “bodyslamming into the ground and doing several roly polies” – which he is great at, by the way.
35) When you induct Bill Murray into a Hall Of Fame – like, say, the South Atlantic League Hall of Fame – you’re going to get a good speech. This good speech lasts over 10 minutes, so though it’s good, you may need to grab a drink before you sit down to watch.
36) What’s it like to have Bill Murray as a boss? Even as a boss called ‘Director Of Fun’? This mini-doc should answer both of those questions.
37) Despite all this, Bill’s first love in baseball is the Chicago Cubs, and those folks over at Wrigley Field are more than happy to invite him over every once in a while to throw the first pitch. In 2004 his pitch was so wild it went over the backstop, but in 2012 it was, well… something else.
38) When Bill watches baseball, he generally wears shorts, a T-shirt and a hat. When Bill plays golf, he wears whatever he goddamn wants, such as, say, full-body camo outfit. At one point in the following video, he even punts an American football (for some reason).
After that little beauty, you’re probably going to want to see some other golfing outfits Bill’s worn over the years – and we’re more than happy to oblige.
Posted by Mr Gittes on Tuesday March 12, 2013, 18:47
I honestly don't know how I missed out on that one. I am a fool! It's in there now, and it's all thanks to you, so, um, thank you.
Posted by Ali Plumb on Friday March 8, 2013, 17:28
The best one.
You missed out my favourite Bill Murray fan interaction story. One time a bunch of fans bumped into him and asked for a photograph. He refused, instead recording a Wes Anderson-esque slow-mo walk video with them.
Half of the fun of this is just seeing the guys trying to be serious instead of unbelievable gleeful. More
Posted by MartinHeron on Friday March 8, 2013, 14:05
Sporting Bears fan
Bill is a great fan of the Chicago Bears. There is a superb clip of him (one of several) on the sidelines as Soldier Field Chicago during the Super Bowl years 1985, where Bill absolutely cracks up talking about William "the Refrigerator" Perry.
Love him, can't get enough of him! More
Posted by danielthompson99 on Wednesday March 6, 2013, 13:51