Register  |   Log In  |
Sign up to our weekly newsletter
Search
Empire Magazine and iPad
Follow Me on Pinterest YouTube Tumblr
Empire
Trending On Empire
Star Wars: The Force Awakens Teaser Trailer
The Farewell To Middle-earth Issue
Review Of The Year 2014
Buy the perfect Christmas present this year
Farewell To Middle-earth
Full details of our Peter Jackson-edited issue
Feature
The 10 Reasons You Need To Buy A Next Gen Console
PS4, Xbox One or both?

submit to reddit

It hardly matters whether you’re on the blue team or the green team because both the PS4 and the XB1 are slick, powerful and vastly overshadow your current kit. But are either of them worth shelling out for on day one? Here are ten reasons why the answer to that questions is a resounding ‘yes’.

WORDS JAMES DYER

1. KILLZONE LOOKS BEAUTIFUL

When you first load up Killzone: Shadowfall and play through the introduction, you’ll spend at least a minute staring out at the illuminated cityscape and marvelling at what your new console can do. Whatever your feelings about the game as a whole, there’s no denying that Killzone makes an exemplary ambassador for just what the PS4 is capable of, boasting detailed textures that extend for miles. You’ll find no polygon-occluding fog on New Helghan.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
  1 of 10 Next

Have Your Say
Register or login now to let us know what you think.

Your Comments

1 RE: The 10 Reasons You Need To Buy A Next Gen Console
Dear god don't do it. Wait a couple of years. By then there may be some decent games for them and they wont be so expensive. More

Posted by spamandham on Friday December 6, 2013, 16:34

2 pah .... keep them
Being a happy XBox 360 and PC gamer, it will be a while until I invest in a new console. The release titles are less than awesome and there needs to be two or three can't miss titles before I'll invest. It'll take Microsoft a few more gos before they get the Bone working satisfactorily More

Posted by danielthompson99 on Wednesday December 4, 2013, 14:08

3 PC Gaming knocks this all into a cocked hat.
Sorry but you'll never get a better gaming experience than on PC - even with low end Pc's games like Mass Effect, Skyrim and the new Tomb Raider look incredible. Plus, with all the mods and I don't mean just the cheating ones) you can transform your game into just the way you like it. Skyrim for instance has an amazingly talented modding community and they have made the game even better, even ironing out a lot of the bugs before the makers get around to it. Completely redesigning the look of the game, creating new aspects of the game. Just making it better. Nope, give me PC gaming everytime. More

Posted by The Red Avenger on Tuesday December 3, 2013, 16:01

Using a PC is not just about better graphics or superior tech. It actualy will save you money in the long run, who ever says that you need to spend 1k to keep it high to mid end obviously never actualy did it. I spend £600 4 years ago and it is stil as good as the next gen and runs newest stuff on full specs. Then theres the fact you use it with your tv for a million other things that are only just coming in on Consoles like internet, tv etc. Then theres Steam which puts xbox live and any console prices to shame. This is not even menioning the peripherals. No FPS is ever as good or precise with a pad as it is with a mouse, simple fact of thumb vs whole wrist. Then you you have your RPGs and RTS games. Anyway if you play Fifa and COD and you dont give a shit about the fact you gettin ripped off or about Playing a lot more games or saving money on those games or mods or basicly anything besides playing with 12 year old brats on xbox live then Consoles are completely fMore

Posted by Zimbo on Sunday November 24, 2013, 19:47

my buddy's step-aunt makes $82/hr on the internet. She has been out of work for 8 months but last month her paycheck was $21649 just working on the internet for a few hours. Read more on this site,...JUMP85.COM More

Posted by RachelMcCarter9012 on Sunday November 24, 2013, 02:54

6 nice
Both look great, but the PS4 swings it for me. Altought I wish both would diversify away from soley focussing on shooters. Every major title seems to be a shooting game. I'd like to see more puzzle, platform and adventure games. More

Posted by hermes16 on Saturday November 23, 2013, 08:24

7 blah blah blah
The truth is yes the PC is and always will be one step ahead of consoles because of the technology, but I have found over the years that getting that graphical superiority has been less important. Example I wanted to play COD:MW3 and my 2.13 ghz Core Duo was never gonna cut it and the cheapest and more convenient option was for a PS3 to plug in to the main TV down stairs as it had a Blu-Ray and going High Def, is really the way to go on these large flat screen plasmas. Because lets face it Standard Def is never great is it! But to play MW3 on a new PC would have cost me alot more. I find that unless you are loaded, you'll always be struggling to play catch up with the latest technology. So that's where consoles come in. Play the newest releases all be it with slightly less polygones (or whatever) until you can save up for a brand spanking new PC. Plus all this crap about getting a decent PC that lasts for ages and still play the latest games 2 or 3 years down the line is complete crap.More

Posted by klepto4 on Thursday November 21, 2013, 10:08

8 RE: The 10 Reasons You Need To Buy A Next Gen Console
Personally I sit in both camps. I spent around £3000 on my PC as I wanted it to be more than just a console, however I do still like the convenience of popping a game on in the living room on a console. It's true that top spec PCs totally blow the socks off the current generation of consoles graphically but I'd be interested to see how capable these next generation get to be. Bottom line: If you have the cash, get both. If not, get what best suits your needs. Either way though, I'd avoid being an early adopter of consoles. More

Posted by QuietLife on Thursday November 21, 2013, 10:03

9 RE: The 10 Reasons You Need To Buy A Next Gen Console
L: Dave25 I'm a PC and console gamer and will be getting an X1 on Friday and a PS4 next year. The statement that you can get a gaming PC for the same price of a next gen console is a complete fallacy, especially when you factor in the cost of a decent monitor which will set you back at least £100 alone, most people already have a TV when they buy a console. To get a PC that plays games at a fidelity greater than what these new consoles are capable of will probably set you back upward of £700, and then there is the constant need for upgrading.....so you will need to shell out over £1000 if you want to ensure your PC stays mid-high end for a few years. I'm pretty sick and tired of this elitist PC master race that keeps rearing it's head, I'm a gamer and have been for about 20+ years, I may have preference for certain features on one format or games on another, but I never let any format prejudice interfere with my enjoyment of games.....because lets face it all this fanboyism iMore

Posted by 7eke on Thursday November 21, 2013, 01:40

10 Consoles
"I built my PC meh meh meh".. shut it nerd, buy a console, plug it in to the TV, off you go!! More

Posted by vitaly1 on Wednesday November 20, 2013, 19:11

11 RE: The 10 Reasons You Need To Buy A Next Gen Console
I'm a PC and console gamer and will be getting an X1 on Friday and a PS4 next year. The statement that you can get a gaming PC for the same price of a next gen console is a complete fallacy, especially when you factor in the cost of a decent monitor which will set you back at least £100 alone, most people already have a TV when they buy a console. To get a PC that plays games at a fidelity greater than what these new consoles are capable of will probably set you back upward of £700, and then there is the constant need for upgrading.....so you will need to shell out over £1000 if you want to ensure your PC stays mid-high end for a few years. I'm pretty sick and tired of this elitist PC master race that keeps rearing it's head, I'm a gamer and have been for about 20+ years, I may have preference for certain features on one format or games on another, but I never let any format prejudice interfere with my enjoyment of games.....because lets face it all this fanboyism is leading to what cMore

Posted by Dave25 on Wednesday November 20, 2013, 15:57

12 PC > Consoles
'powerful and vastly overshadow your current kit' ok then.... I built by PC 4 years ago and it still has more RAM and Proecessing Power than the 'next gen'. Considering I also you use for all my design and video work, internet, TV (netflix etc.) Be smart, get a PC and discover Steam, you'll see what a complete rip off Consoles are. Due to limitations of production costs they're power is very underwhelming considering they love using 'next gen' everywhere. Nvidia recently did a test and proved their best Graphics Cards are 10 times power powerful then the current generation of consoles. More

Posted by Zimbo on Wednesday November 20, 2013, 15:25

13 Clearly the guy who wrote this knows nothing about PC gaming....
As jmebaby25 pointed out, you can get a gaming PC that'll beat the pants off of a next gen console for about the same price as one. Plus, as stated, the games costing you at least £15 a pop less every time will mount up to a massive saving too. As someone with literally hundreds of pc games in my collection, the saving in games alone buys my next gaming pc that's better then the consoles. An off the shelf prebuild may cost you thousands, but you really don't need to spend that. As for the other stuff like 'gaming pads are better' and so on... PC's have had way better custom controllers for years, plus you can hook up an x-box one if you really want to. Games... 90% of them end up on PC anyway... so that's about as moot as the console exclusive titles. And least of all should I mentioned the various red and blue lights of death, framerate drops and the other, literally thousands of complaints about buggy or broken consoles that have already happened to those that have bougMore

Posted by GrizBe on Wednesday November 20, 2013, 12:23

I'll be waiting for quite a while before getting a next gen box. The launch titles are always underwhelming and they often refine the console design, fix and problems and release a better model for cheaper down the line. This article was good though, except for the nonsense in #10. The next-gen consoles are essentially a low-mid range spec PC. It wouldn't remotely cost a couple of grand to build a PC to compete with them. You would probably pay slightly more (maybe £100) for a better PC, but once you take into the abhorrent cost of console titles, you'll very quickly find that you spend at lot less money throughout the year on your PC titles. More

Posted by jmebaby25 on Wednesday November 20, 2013, 09:30

SUBSCRIPTION OFFERS

SAVE UP TO 69% GET 12 ISSUES FOR ONLY £25
Get the best seat in the house by subscribing to the world's biggest movie magazine today. Save up to 69% and every month you'll get exclusive subscriber-only covers, access to the biggest stars and the best news, reviews and behind-the-scenes reports straight from the set. Click here to find the perfect offer for you

CURRENT HIGHLIGHTS
Empire's Three Favourite Scenes Of 2014
A hat-trick of moneyshots from the last 12 months

The 32 Funniest Movie Moments Of The Year
2014's side-splittingest scenes

The 10 Best Games Of The Year
2014's top pixel-pushers duke it out for the number one slot

Dan Stevens: The Breakout Star Of 2014
We congratulate The Guest star on his year to remember

The 15 Most Memorable Character Deaths Of The Year
2014’s RIP honour roll

Watch: Night At The Museum's Cast Share Their Favourite Robin Williams Performance
Ben Stiller, Owen Wilson and Ben Kingsley pay tribute to the actor

Watch: Jack O'Connell And Luke Treadaway Talk Unbroken
On POWs, panto and how to name your bomber

Get 12 Issues Of Empire For Only £25!

Get exclusive subscriber-only covers each month!

Get The Empire iPad Edition Today

Subscribe and save maney on annual digital subscription

Buy single issues

Get 12 issues of Empire for just £25!
Get exclusive subscriber-only covers each month Subscribe today!
Empire's Film Studies 101 Series
Everything you ever wanted to know about filmmaking but were afraid to ask...
The Empire iPad Edition
With exclusive extras, interactive features, trailers and much more! Download now
Home  |  News  |  Blogs  |  Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Interviews  |  Images  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  iPad  |  Podcast  |  Magazine Contact Us  |  Empire FAQ  |  Subscribe To Empire  |  Register
© Bauer Consumer Media Ltd  |  Legal Info  |  Editorial Complaints  |  Privacy Policy  |  Bauer Entertainment Network
Bauer Consumer Media Ltd (company number 01176085 and registered address 1 Lincoln Court, Lincoln Road, Peterborough, England PE1 2RF)