‘Is Jackie Chan Dead?’ And Other Amazing Film Questions From Google’s Auto-Suggest Function
Posted on Tuesday September 17, 2013, 15:53 by Ali Plumb in Empire States
Type the word ‘is’, followed by a space, into Google, and you’re given four auto-suggestions. They are: ‘is it down’; ‘is jackie chan dead’; ‘is shingles contagious’ and ‘is nelson mandela dead’. One of these is regretably understandable (Mandela is elderly and in poor health but happily, at the time of writing, is not dead), one is pretty dumb (shingles are contagious, yes), another is nonsensical (is what down?) and the other... is incredibly worrying (Chan, who is not that old or that unhealthy, despite his frequent bone-breaking).
This inspired me to see what other cinematic Auto-Suggest gems I could find. Using the starting words of “Why”, “Is” and “When”, here are just ten examples based on characters from The Avengers.
1. why is iron man called iron man
2. is thor real
3. is the hulk real
4. is captain america gay
5. is captain america dead
6. is captain america a virgin
7. why does the hulk turn green
8. why does hawkeye wear sunglasses
9. why does loki have horns
10. when is loki’s birthday
I can answer the first five pretty easily (I think).
1. Because it sounds cool.
5. Depends on which comic-book run you’re reading, but in the films, no.
The final five, however… they’re a little harder.
6. Damn good question - although rather a personal one. For the movie Cap, the answer is probably… yes?
7. Red is normally the colour of rage, so if Hulk’s green, is it just because he’s jealous of all the other Avengers? Hmm.
8. So he can… see better? In the sunshine, at any rate? He's an archer, after all, and therefore needs to be able to make out his target.
9. It’s a helmet. Viking helmets, horns. Why they’re so long is another question, and one the costume designers are happy to talk about.
10. Really? Do we really want to celebrate Loki's continued existence, despite that bit where he tried to kill most of us and take over the Earth? In any case, it would be a tough question since Odin adopted him and probably doesn't know.
Now as you may have worked out already, this blog is not Pulitzer Prize-winning stuff. At best, it’s whimsy. At worse, it’s an easily-avoidable waste of your time. What I hope is that it becomes a bit of fun, as long as you accept my challenge to find other priceless / pointless movie questions that been typed into Google so often they’ve become part of the automated suggestion service.
Some more to spur your imagination:
is bruce willis a jerk
why does angelina jolie have an accent
why does len wiseman have children
why does len wiseman live
why does len wiseman do
is m bond's mother
You can also just ignore the question part of it altogether, as long as you chose someone devisive enough. Just think of a name, a character, a film.
damon lindelof sucks
pauly shore is dead
batman is dead
Now, to Google! And then back to the comment box below, so you can share all the weirdness you’ve discovered with the group.
Login or register to comment.
Posted on Thursday September 19, 2013, 21:10
is bruce willis a jerk - Well, if Stallone's tweeting is to go by, possibly.
why does angelina jolie have an accent - Everyone has an accent, so yes.
why does len wiseman have children - not according to wikipedia.
why does len wiseman live - well, his mummy and daddy loved each other very much and...
why does len wiseman do - do what?
is m bond's mother - Nope.
also, I put in Is Hulk and got is Hulk going to Chelsea and is Hulk joining Chelsea. Now, I don't pay much attention to football, but I'm going to go with no on that one, but if I'm wrong, I miiiight just start watching.
||Who Shot First? The Complete List Of Star Wars Changes|
An exhaustive chronology of George Lucas' post-release tinkering
||Gamescom 2014: The 10 Most Exciting Games|
Zombies! Guns! Tombs! Sheep! Watch the trailers right here...
||Who Is Mack Bolan? Your Guide To Cinema's New Action Man|
As Bradley Cooper lines up to star as the hero, here's your handy guide to his story so far
||Classic Feature: Empire Meets Uwe Boll|
'I'm probably the most hated director in the world right now.'
||Film Studies 101: A Film Buff's Guide To Movie Movements|
Everything you need to know about cinema's key groups
||The 100 Greatest Games Of All Time|
You voted, we counted, and here they are: beat-'em-ups, shoot-'em-ups, RPGs, JRPGs, MMORPGs, RTSs, first-person shooters, platformers, sims and much more!
||Lists Of Our Lifetime: Empire's 25 Greatest Battles|
From smalltime scraps to epic struggles, these are the conflicts that have stunned cinema since 1989