Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Bone-biting weariness...

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Bone-biting weariness... Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Bone-biting weariness... - 25/1/2013 11:59:49 PM   
Rgirvan44

This is an amazing film. A film about the heights of political statesmanship and the down and dirty dealings that have to be done to accomplish great deeds.

Tommy Lee Jones was heartbreaking. DDL controlled the universe.

Five stars.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 31
RE: Bone-biting weariness... - 26/1/2013 9:47:09 PM   
jrewing1000

As a die-hard Spielberg fan, both fantasy (Close Encounters, Raiders, Jaws) and reality (Schindler's List, Saving Private Ryan), I was incredibly disappointed with Lincoln. It bored me senseless. Of course it is wonderfully made, but I cannot help but feel it would have been better served to us as a stage play, rather than a piece of cinema.

There was an annoying sense of self-importance to this film that spoilt it for me. Sally Field in particular, whilst a stellar actress no doubt, her performance made me think of the Saturday Night Live sketches. In fact the whole thing reminded me of an Oscar opening number, where they parody a genre and break out into some silly song half way through. It was SO serious.

Incredibly theatrical, long, slow and tedious. Yes there are historical moments that stand out, yes there are a few emotional moments, but this is one courtroom drama I won't be returning to.

I liked this from one review on Metacritic:

"His is an old-fashioned style of moviemaking that can produce soaring entertainment or, alternately, a fussed-over theatricality. Minute to minute, Lincoln moves between these extremes."

< Message edited by jrewing1000 -- 26/1/2013 9:49:17 PM >

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 32
RE: Bone-biting weariness... - 26/1/2013 10:40:12 PM   
UTB

Might go and see this tomorrow. Looking forward to it.

(in reply to jrewing1000)
Post #: 33
RE: Bone-biting weariness... - 26/1/2013 10:44:46 PM   
KnightofZyryab

Have my review up soon but for the patient viewer, this is a meticulously crafted masterpiece.

Imminent viewings : The Place Beyond the Pines

Read my blog at: http://alcentrodelaberinto.blogspot.com/

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 34
RE: Bone-biting weariness... - 27/1/2013 12:12:26 PM   
jrewing1000

I feel like I've missed something pretty major. I just cannot see the 'masterpiece' that everyone is talking about.

Definitely worth watching, just don't expect anything remotely as cinematic or emotionally charged as Spielberg's previous work.

I found a review that mirrors how I feel:

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/review-lincoln-is-a-handsomely-shot-immaculately-acted-and-terribly-dull-historical-biopic-20121113

I should also add, that I absolutely love films that are primarily built around dialogue. 12 Angry Men, When Harry Met Sally, A Few Good Men, there are countless films that consist mostly of dialogue. I just didn't like this one.

< Message edited by jrewing1000 -- 27/1/2013 12:24:29 PM >

(in reply to KnightofZyryab)
Post #: 35
Hard going, boring and tedious most of the time - 27/1/2013 2:55:25 PM   
dinkydog

It's this simple. If your into politics and Hisory then this may be your movie. If your not into the workings of Politics and history then this is not your movie. It's very well presented and filmed. the acting is very good by all but it is a tedious film at times and unless one has a grasp of what the 13th amendment was othen one is going to get lost in minutae debates and discussions that pepper the movie. Unless your an academic, a lover of the machinery of politics you WILL get bored. It centres around the debates and passing of the 13th Amendment which I still know very little about. Maybe I'm a little stupid and the Empire reviewer is very intelligent but that's my view on it. With this movie, the theme and content of the movie is everything. Read wikepedia article about it before going. I really find some of these movie reviewers to be high brow Spiffers who are afraid toreally call a movie. The Master Recieved high praise a few months ago and got 5 stars as well. For me, the movie was shit. I feel a little bit the same here. I ended up just admiring the costumes, the buildings and scenery of the film and of course watching daniel day lewis in action other wise I was waiting for the end. Boring and tedious most of the time.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 36
It's great - 27/1/2013 6:07:59 PM   
tysmuse

Day-Lewis is remarkable. Complete contrast to There Will Be Blood, and it is great to see him so restraint and composed. You're so use to a barking DDL that you forget it's him. It looks gorgeous, has great moments of humour. Well-paced, doesn't feel long for a two and half hour pic.

Post #: 37
RE: It's great - 27/1/2013 7:29:37 PM   
Dr Lenera

January 1865; President Abraham Lincoln is trying to obtain passage for the 13th Amendment to the United States Constitution in the United States House of Representatives, which would formally abolish slavery in the country. Expecting the Civil War to end within a month but concerned that his 1863 Emancipation Proclamation may be discarded by the courts once the war has concluded and the 13th Amendment defeated by the returning slave states, Lincoln feels it is imperative to pass the amendment by the end of January, thus removing any possibility that slaves who have already been freed may be re-enslaved.......

Steven Spielberg spent 12 years trying to make Lincoln, and I think he should have taken a bit longer, for it just isn’t very good. It’s superbly acted, extremely talky and very dull, its worthiness exuding from every frame. It feels like the worst kind of history lesson, dry and dusty, and watching it I wanted to blow the cobwebs off the screen. It is tailor-made for high-minded critics and will probably be voted Best Picture at the Oscars, but if you start to remember the Academy’s countless crimes against cinema such as never voting Alfred Hitchcock as Best Director, you probably won’t be fooled into thinking this self-important awards baiter is any kind of masterpiece. It’s not even the best film about Lincoln, and that includes the one with vampires.

People talk and tall, usually as if they were quoting from speeches rather than actual things they might say. They do this in realistically dark rooms with sunlight streaming in through windows, with cinematographer Janusz Kaminski seemingly influenced by the great work of Roger Deakins in True Grit, but for every artfully composed shot [there’s a great one of Lincoln on one side of the screen shrouded in darkness by a curtain while on the other side his wife is bathed in sunlight] there are two ugly ones where you can barely make out people’s faces, making the film look like a bad pirate copy at times. One cannot help but invest some emotional involvement in the story, which as told does have its moments, usually taking place in the courtroom and sometimes involving Tommy Lee Jones who does his best to bring the film to life, but for the most part the overriding solemnity prevents much enjoyment. And then, when Lincoln has won, we are once again treated to seemingly all the alternate endings Spielberg filmed one after the other, once again demonstrating how hard he finds it to end his films which would certainly have been better finishing way before they do.

Lincoln also takes great liberties with historical fact. I can sometimes forgive this sort of thing if the film is enjoyable like Braveheart, which made up an awful lot but was rousing, moving, romantic, exciting etc, but Lincoln dishonestly feels like it is telling the truth when it patently is not. You wouldn’t know it from the film, but Lincoln was actually a racist who still believed in white’s superiority over blacks and intended to ship all the freed slaves back to Africa. The film exaggerates Lincoln’s role in abolishing slavery to an uncomfortable degree, ignoring the contributions made by many others including black people [in a film which is borderline racist in its tokenism and almost-ignoring of them, and this is coming from someone who hates political correctness], the fact that the campaign to end slavery was actually began by a group of proto-Feminists, and that many slaves had already risen up against their masters. Of course all this would have got in the way of writer Tony Kushner’s portrayal of Lincoln as a superhero who abolished slavery all on his own.

The film does well by showing the devious mechanics of politics and the performances certainly convince except for Sally Field whose accent is all over the place. Daniel Day-Lewis ‘becomes’ Lincoln to an incredible degree, he literally inhabits the part, once again proving he is one of the very best actors around, and yet unconvincing makeup and the poor lighting make him look like a waxwork dummy at times. Composer John Williams, who also did well when he previously explored this territory with JFK and Nixon, evokes a nostalgic sense of Americana with his fine score. The film overall is hardly awful, but remains a muddled and often misguided failure that makes quite a few odd creative decisions. Why virtually refuse to show Lincoln’s greatest trait; his ability to change the minds of huge numbers of people by his speech? Why have his death but actually refuse to show it? Why is it so easy to tell what the critics will go for? Though at least it’s better than Les Miserables.
4.5/10

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to tysmuse)
Post #: 38
Most words I've ever listened to in 2 and a half hours. - 27/1/2013 11:22:12 PM   
stupidfathobbit

Just seen Lincoln and both enjoyed and endured it. Performances were great, particularly DDL, Tommy Lee Jones and James Spader, and I wish the Commons debates were more like this ("slavery is the only insult to natural law, you fatuous nincompoop!") Also hats off to makeup as Lincoln looked uncanny. Wanted more of the debates, and in the end did not get an impression of the massive historical significance of it all, but thought Lincoln himself was fascinating (second only to Bartlett). Liked it, didn't love it. But it was still infinitely better than the pile of manure that was Warhorse.

Post #: 39
READ - 28/1/2013 6:56:29 PM   
Datgibbs

Realistic? Bullshit. Lincoln glosses over slavery as yet another political debate point. The films about boardrooms, not about the truth. Whereas django, in a surprising twist, is a lot more effective in showing the facts.
Shove that in your review, empire.

Post #: 40
RE: It's great - 28/1/2013 8:43:19 PM   
Jar Jar Gabor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dr Lenera

You wouldn’t know it from the film, but Lincoln was actually a racist who still believed in white’s superiority over blacks and intended to ship all the freed slaves back to Africa.

I'm glad Spielberg and Kushner did a little more research on Lincoln than your good self. Because that's a hugely simplistic generalisation of Lincoln's often complex and evolving attitude towards race and slavery. You don't, for example, make it clear that Lincoln's policy of colonisation was entirely voluntary, nor that it was based on Lincoln's fear that blacks and whites would struggle to live peaceably together as free men. Indeed, the following 100 years of violence, segregation and inequality would show that that fear was somewhat justified.

Yes, Lincoln held some views of black people that today would be deemed racist. But he also held some views of black people that in his own time could be deemed radical, open-minded and progressive. However, the film does make it clear that, in comparison with someone like Thaddeus Stevens, Lincoln was far less 'modern' in his views than many abolitionists would have preferred. But even so, at the time the film is set, Lincoln's attitude and philosophy towards slavery and race had evolved quite significantly from his earlier, less moderate views. He changed, he modified his views, and, yes, he sometimes necessarily compromised those views in order to get things done.

I think one of the most objective and accurate summations of Lincoln, both as a man and as a president, is the following Oration given by the black abolitionist Frederick Douglas in 1876. In it he describes both Lincoln's negative feelings and actions towards race but also his incredible and vital achievements.

Here

"I have said that President Lincoln was a white man, and shared the prejudices common to his countrymen towards the colored race. Looking back to his times and to the condition of his country, we are compelled to admit that this unfriendly feeling on his part may be safely set down as one element of his wonderful success in organizing the loyal American people for the tremendous conflict before them, and bringing them safely through that conflict. His great mission was to accomplish two things: first, to save his country from dismemberment and ruin; and, second, to free his country from the great crime of slavery. To do one or the other, or both, he must have the earnest sympathy and the powerful cooperation of his loyal fellow-countrymen. Without this primary and essential condition to success his efforts must have been vain and utterly fruitless. Had he put the abolition of slavery before the salvation of the Union, he would have inevitably driven from him a powerful class of the American people and rendered resistance to rebellion impossible. Viewed from the genuine abolition ground, Mr. Lincoln seemed tardy, cold, dull, and indifferent; but measuring him by the sentiment of his country, a sentiment he was bound as a statesman to consult, he was swift, zealous, radical, and determined.

Though Mr. Lincoln shared the prejudices of his white fellow-countrymen against the Negro, it is hardly necessary to say that in his heart of hearts he loathed and hated slavery. The man who could say, "Fondly do we hope, fervently do we pray, that this mighty scourge of war shall soon pass away, yet if God wills it continue till all the wealth piled by two hundred years of bondage shall have been wasted, and each drop of blood drawn by the lash shall have been paid for by one drawn by the sword, the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether," gives all needed proof of his feeling on the subject of slavery. He was willing, while the South was loyal, that it should have its pound of flesh, because he thought that it was so nominated in the bond; but farther than this no earthly power could make him go.

Fellow-citizens, whatever else in this world may be partial, unjust, and uncertain, time, time! is impartial, just, and certain in its action. In the realm of mind, as well as in the realm of matter, it is a great worker, and often works wonders. The honest and comprehensive statesman, clearly discerning the needs of his country, and earnestly endeavoring to do his whole duty, though covered and blistered with reproaches, may safely leave his course to the silent judgment of time. Few great public men have ever been the victims of fiercer denunciation than Abraham Lincoln was during his administration. He was often wounded in the house of his friends. Reproaches came thick and fast upon him from within and from without, and from opposite quarters. He was assailed by Abolitionists; he was assailed by slave-holders; he was assailed by the men who were for peace at any price; he was assailed by those who were for a more vigorous prosecution of the war; he was assailed for not making the war an abolition war; and he was bitterly assailed for making the war an abolition war.

But now behold the change: the judgment of the present hour is, that taking him for all in all, measuring the tremendous magnitude of the work before him, considering the necessary means to ends, and surveying the end from the beginning, infinite wisdom has seldom sent any man into the world better fitted for his mission than Abraham Lincoln..."

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dr Lenera

The film exaggerates Lincoln’s role in abolishing slavery to an uncomfortable degree, ignoring the contributions made by many others including black people [in a film which is borderline racist in its tokenism and almost-ignoring of them, and this is coming from someone who hates political correctness], the fact that the campaign to end slavery was actually began by a group of proto-Feminists, and that many slaves had already risen up against their masters. Of course all this would have got in the way of writer Tony Kushner’s portrayal of Lincoln as a superhero who abolished slavery all on his own.

This reminds me of the argument made against Saving Private Ryan, which essentially stated that since Spielberg's film fails to show the actions of Canadian and British troops at Normandy, Spielberg's implicit purpose was to highlight the superiority and predominance of American soldiers and, therefore, undermine the significance of others. It completely ignores the necessarily limited scope of narrative drama, asking for a level of historical and contextual realisation that makes a complete mockery of cinematic storytelling. Choosing to focus on one person or group of people as part of a limited narrative scope is not the same thing as a denouncement or diminishment of those things that don't fit within that scope. It may implicitly inflate the significance of that on which its focus lies but this is unavoidable and completely understandable.

This article does a fine job of showing the slippery slope nature of asking for absolute historical and contextual instruction within Lincoln's narrative drama.

"If we’re going to tell the story of abolitionism and the agency of slaves, surely we cannot leave out the larger history of slave revolts throughout the Americas and the changing role of the Atlantic system in the global political economy of the first half of the 19th Century, correct? It would be “inadequate” to assume this is an exceptional American story. Surely we’d have to continue the story into Reconstruction so that viewers don’t misunderstand and think that slavery really, truly completely came to an end? Surely we need to show what industrial labor in the North was like between the 1830s and the 1870s to give the audience a fuller context for understanding labor, freedom and rights? Surely there are other stories of antebellum political and judicial drama that need to be told alongside the story of the Thirteenth Amendment, so that it (or Lincoln) doesn’t appear entirely exceptional. Surely we need still more of the story of ordinary soldiers on both sides? Of the role of gender in abolition and slavery? I am only very slightly kidding here: this is precisely the stuff of scholarly historiography, as it should be. But when we view a film and begin to inevitably see its incomplete nature as ‘inadequacy’, we’re committing a category error on several levels."

"My mother did throw me against a brick wall when I was an infant. I didn't get hurt at all. I've mentioned it to her a couple of times. She said I was a little prick."

DVD's wot I own.

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 41
RE: Hard going, boring and tedious most of the time - 29/1/2013 9:50:35 AM   
jrewing1000

quote:

ORIGINAL: dinkydog

It's this simple. If your into politics and Hisory then this may be your movie. If your not into the workings of Politics and history then this is not your movie. It's very well presented and filmed. the acting is very good by all but it is a tedious film at times and unless one has a grasp of what the 13th amendment was othen one is going to get lost in minutae debates and discussions that pepper the movie. Unless your an academic, a lover of the machinery of politics you WILL get bored. It centres around the debates and passing of the 13th Amendment which I still know very little about. Maybe I'm a little stupid and the Empire reviewer is very intelligent but that's my view on it. With this movie, the theme and content of the movie is everything. Read wikepedia article about it before going. I really find some of these movie reviewers to be high brow Spiffers who are afraid toreally call a movie. The Master Recieved high praise a few months ago and got 5 stars as well. For me, the movie was shit. I feel a little bit the same here. I ended up just admiring the costumes, the buildings and scenery of the film and of course watching daniel day lewis in action other wise I was waiting for the end. Boring and tedious most of the time.

I would say it doesn't matter if you're into politics or not, cinema is supposed to tell a story for an audience to understand and follow. It could be about brain surgery and you'd have to convey a simple and easily understood story. There have been plenty of films about far more complicated subjects than politics, that have been far easier to follow and enjoy.

(in reply to dinkydog)
Post #: 42
RE: READ - 29/1/2013 11:02:27 AM   
NCC1701A

quote:

ORIGINAL: Datgibbs

Realistic? Bullshit. Lincoln glosses over slavery as yet another political debate point. The films about boardrooms, not about the truth. Whereas django, in a surprising twist, is a lot more effective in showing the facts.
Shove that in your review, empire.

The film was about passing the 13th Amendment to the constitution which would of ended Slavery once and for all now I saw none of that in Django which was just a poor dumb revenage fantasy film made by a director who likes to use the N world a LOT.

< Message edited by NCC1701A -- 29/1/2013 11:07:29 AM >

Trench: I'll be back.

Church: You've been back enough. I'll be back.

[leaves]

Trench: Yippee-ki-yay.

The Expendables 2 (2012)

(in reply to Datgibbs)
Post #: 43
Oh dear - 29/1/2013 3:01:11 PM   
Shaun666

Quite possibly the dullest, least interesting 5 star film I have ever seen.
The first hour or so in particular is just a slog. I nearly nodded off and I could hear a couple of people snoring in the cinema. The last half held my attention slightly better but overall giving it 2 out of 5 seems slightly generous. Having also seen Les Mis recently and being underwhelmed by that I have to say that Django Unchained is looking more and more like my choice as best film at the Oscars.

< Message edited by Shaun666 -- 29/1/2013 3:02:18 PM >

Post #: 44
13, Unlucky for some, especially those who saw this Fil... - 29/1/2013 4:36:39 PM   
n13roy

Brilliantly acted, but pretty boring for long periods of time, and certainly NOT the classic I was expecting to see. The trailers make it look like a MUCH better Film than it is, but thats what they are supposed to do IMHO.......

Post #: 45
RE: 13, Unlucky for some, especially those who saw this... - 30/1/2013 1:09:37 PM   
SWOTBM

An extremely well put together docu-drama. Before going to see this film I had very little background knowledge on the American Civil War (should have read Empire's cheat sheet beforehand ); so I have no idea how closely the film mirrors actual events or how realistic the character portrayals are. But the acting was quite convincing and after seeing the film it made me want to read up on American history; so in that sense Lincoln was very successful.

PSN: light_brigade
Gamertag: chauders

(in reply to n13roy)
Post #: 46
RE: Lincoln - 30/1/2013 3:52:50 PM   
R W

A few weeks ago, we had Quentin Tarantino’s brilliant spaghetti “southern” Django Unchained, which took a revisionist and ridiculously fun look on slavery during America’s pre-Civil War Deep South. Whilst I enormously enjoyed the blood-splatter and Samuel L. Jackson going completely leftfield than what you expect, it was surprising and pleasurable to see the facts as depicted by Steven Spielberg and Daniel Day-Lewis as the 16th President of the United States.

As the Civil War wages on, President Abraham Lincoln is attempting to obtain passage for the 13th Amendment to the United States Constitution in the United States House of Representatives, which would formally abolish slavery in the country.

Spielberg isn’t a newcomer to the theme of slavery as he has explored this masterfully with Schindler’s List and less so with Amistad. For many years the director had wanted to do a biopic on Lincoln, which had gone through several revisions with different screenwriters, as well as the President originally going to be played by Oskar Schindler himself Liam Neeson. In the end, it was Angels in America playwright Tony Kushner to helm the script and Daniel Day-Lewis, who is arguably the greatest actor to this day, to lead the United States.

Based in part on Doris Kearns Goodwin’s biography, Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln, much if not all of the film takes place in rooms filled with old politicians discussing the possibilities and difficulties of passing the Amendment, while the Republicans (who we root for) and the Democrats (we’re against them) are having a war of words, very loudly. As well as struggling with the political situation, Lincoln has family issues as his eldest son Robert (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) wants to enlist in the Union Army, of which the First Lady Mary Todd (played wonderfully by Sally Field) is against, with the fear of losing another son.

With a running time of two and a half hours and dialogue heard in nearly every single minute, the film could have felt more as a lengthy play, which Spielberg has commented upon. However, he achieves at making this talky piece very cinematic, due to his frequent cinematographer Janusz Kamiński whose use of lighting makes the interiors of the White House like a darkening environment, while sunlight shining brightly through the windows create some iconic imagery. When it comes to the Spielberg works that shout “for your consideration”, do expect the sweeping John Williams score and Lincoln is no exception, as his score may be intrusive to the quiet drama and yet knows how to pull the heart strings.

Over the decades, the 16th President has depicted in various different versions, most recently as a vampire hunter in fine literature but also in a poor film. With Daniel Day-Lewis as the eponymous president, this is an extraordinary central performance as the English actor depicts him as a soft-spoken, weary and humble person who can socially approach anyone, despite his title of Commander-in-chief. Even with the enormous weight of the Civil War on his shoulders, Lincoln is a man of patience while throughout the film, he is constantly telling stories which may seem random, but he’s telling them to proving a point and rightfully so; although in a humorous scene, Bruce McGill as Secretary of War Edwin Stanton can’t bear to hear another story from his leader.

With an ensemble cast surrounding Mr Day-Lewis, there is a famous face in every corner such as in one fine sequence, David Strathairn as Secretary of State William H. Seward meets the three Republican operatives played by Tim Blake Nelson, John Hawkes and James Spader who in particular chews up the scenery. However, the supporting performance to rival the central role is Tommy Lee Jones as Radical Republican Congressional leader Thaddeus Stevens, who has a truly commanding voice when against the devilish democrats as brilliantly says, “you are more reptile than man”.

As we have waited for Spielberg’s pet project of Abraham Lincoln, the film hasn’t let us down as it is a brilliant piece of historical journalism and an engaging drama about an aging president/storyteller played extraordinarily by Daniel Day-Lewis.

Post #: 47
RE: Lincoln - 30/1/2013 6:35:06 PM   
Willy Wood

Just can't get interested in this, wait for the DVD.

(in reply to R W)
Post #: 48
RE: Bone-biting weariness... - 1/2/2013 6:07:21 PM   
nhassell

Day-Lewis was simply amazing and deserves the Oscar. The film itself was, quite frankly, very boring, Only coasts by on the performance of Day-Lewis.

This Is The End - ***
Man Of Steel - ***
The Great Gatsby - ***
Iron Man 3 - ***
Evil Dead - ***

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 49
RE: Bone-biting weariness... - 1/2/2013 10:37:35 PM   
theoriginalcynic

It seems like most people are saying this is long, tedious and boring, inc various celebs on twitter. Looks like a film critics love but the audience endures. I'll wait for DVD.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 50
RE: Bone-biting weariness... - 1/2/2013 11:14:07 PM  1 votes
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: theoriginalcynic

It seems like most people are saying this is long, tedious and boring, inc various celebs on twitter. Looks like a film critics love but the audience endures. I'll wait for DVD.

Good to see you making up your own mind!

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to theoriginalcynic)
Post #: 51
RE: Bone-biting weariness... - 1/2/2013 11:18:14 PM   
theoriginalcynic

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

quote:

If enough people say something...

It really isn't my type of film, and the trailer does make it look boring. As I said I'll wait for DVD - I watch most films eventually.

< Message edited by theoriginalcynic -- 1/2/2013 11:21:06 PM >

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 52
RE: Bone-biting weariness... - 1/2/2013 11:55:31 PM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

This is an amazing film. A film about the heights of political statesmanship and the down and dirty dealings that have to be done to accomplish great deeds.

Tommy Lee Jones was heartbreaking. DDL controlled the universe.

Five stars.

Couldn't agree with this more. Just got back from seeing it and thought this was incredible. Not once was I bored, just transfixed. I'm not in to the "workings of politics" and don't profess to know much about the American Civil War but found it fascinating.

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 53
RE: Bone-biting weariness... - 2/2/2013 2:13:33 AM   
Quentin Black

It has all the components of a great film. It was well made, well directed, well acted and yet...it was just incredibly boring. I have a strong interest in American history and have no problem enjoying long, talky films so I was severely disappointed by Lincoln. It should have been dynamic, rousing and emotional but only Daniel Day Lewis' incredible performance and the occasional well written speech saved it from being entirely unenjoyable. The least deserving best picture nominee and yet the most probable to win.

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 54
RE: Bone-biting weariness... - 2/2/2013 1:34:11 PM   
elab49

quote:

quote:

quote:

If enough people say something...

It really isn't my type of film, and the trailer does make it look boring. As I said I'll wait for DVD - I watch most films eventually.

'most' people are saying long and boring? I guess you mean people that aren't critics? And yet - it's got 7.9 on IMDB. From 44k people - doesn't that count as non-critic people as well?

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

Post #: 55
RE: Bone-biting weariness... - 2/2/2013 2:09:24 PM   
theoriginalcynic

44k out of millions of people (just in Britain, never mind the world.)

IMDB can't be taken as a reliable source. How many people actually bother with it? Search for Lincoln on twitter to see how people really feel. But twitter is changing all of the time, so you might wanna search for Lincoln, boring, to see thousands of those view points Or just google it.

< Message edited by theoriginalcynic -- 2/2/2013 2:32:59 PM >

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 56
RE: Bone-biting weariness... - 2/2/2013 3:53:55 PM   
elab49

No offence, but countering IMDB as a reliable source with google or Twitter is pretty useless - I chose a source of equal reliability to the one you were quoting. ie it depends who you're following, who you listen to, who you've read. Ie not objectively reliable at all. Just like IMDB. Just like Google. That was the point

It just seems odd to post in a review thread when you've not seen the film and haven't done the most important thing before doing so - form your own point of view, not let others do it for you. Don't you like some films/shows that others think are utter crap?

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

Post #: 57
RE: Bone-biting weariness... - 2/2/2013 4:02:31 PM   
Hood_Man

I often find that IMDb or the Rotten Tomatoes audience reaction are pretty reliable. Not all the time, and not always an exact fit either, but if a film has an overwhelmingly positive rating then I usually find I rate it highly too, and the same if it's mixed or poor.

If anything I'm more often baffled by the critics receptions. Again not that often, just more often.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 58
RE: Bone-biting weariness... - 2/2/2013 8:33:25 PM   
theoriginalcynic

I said I'd wait for DVD to form my own opinion. But I've read a lot of opinions which say the film is long, boring and tedious. I wish Spielberg would return to family film making. And these days I hardly ever agree with Empire. If they love it I'll probably hate it / rate it higher or lower etc...

< Message edited by theoriginalcynic -- 2/2/2013 8:37:25 PM >

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 59
RE: Bone-biting weariness... - 2/2/2013 9:49:11 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

It seems like most people are saying this is long, tedious and boring, inc various celebs on twitter.

I've bolded my favourite bit.

I actually just searched "Lincoln Boring" in twitter. This was my favourite response.

@Georgia_Olive - Lincoln is boring me. Why my parents didn't get tickets to see movie 43 I don't know

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Bone-biting weariness... Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI