Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Batman: Arkham Asylum

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Special Forums] >> Game Reviews >> Batman: Arkham Asylum Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Batman: Arkham Asylum - 29/8/2009 9:38:04 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
RE: Erm Actually, ARKHAM ASYLUM is H.P. Lovecraft's not... - 1/9/2009 12:47:36 PM   
benadabec

inFAMOUS might be more of an open world game, but Batman is much more highly polished. Excellent in all areas and the best superhero/licensed game ever, a definite 5 star game if there ever was one

How do you spell that? With an 's' for SHITHEAD!

I off one fat Angelino and you throw a hissy fit

"Don't you miss it, Gal?" What England? Nah, fuckin' place - it's a dump, don't make me laugh. Grey, grimey, sooty, what a shithole, what a toilet...
Post #: 2
RE: Christ on a bike, Empire! - 5/9/2009 2:25:15 AM   
The Hooded Man

Silence from Empire, speaks volumes.

Counting the minutes until the over zealous mods lock this thread too.
Post #: 3
RE: Shame on you... - 6/9/2009 11:13:41 AM   
Olaf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deadp00l

This game deserves five stars. I don't care if you like Batman or not this is a fantastic, entertaining game that does whatever you'd want from a Batman game (except Catwoman and Two-face but thats just me). Giving it 4 stars is cruel and unprofessional, this game deserves at least five stars.

4 out of 5 and a glowing review is "cruel and unprofessional"? What?

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE
Post #: 4
RE: Christ on a bike, Empire! - 6/9/2009 5:33:55 PM   
Neth

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Hooded Man

Silence from Empire, speaks volumes.

Maybe they're in the majority, and never bother reading any of the posts in this part of the forum.

"You taste like a burger. I don't like you anymore."

(in reply to The Hooded Man)
Post #: 5
RE: empire gets it wrong again!!!! - 8/9/2009 12:19:05 AM   
Felix

OMG!!!! SOMEONE HAS A VARYING OPINION TO MINE ABOUT A GAME!!! ITS THE END OF THE WORLD!!! I NOW HAVE TO NOT LIKE THIS GAME AS MUCH!!!!

Sweet jebus.

[This space for rent] -
Post #: 6
RE: empire gets it wrong again!!!! - 8/9/2009 2:05:39 AM   
ilovebeerme

To be honest the game is terrible. It's a poor copy of many similar games with terrible voice acting, woeful graphics and repetitive game play. It really should have had Robin in it too.

Like food and wine? Come join the conversation at http://kitchendecanted.com/

Latest post - Chicken with Thai basil and chili

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 7
RE: empire gets it wrong again!!!! - 9/9/2009 3:40:26 PM   
Deadp00l

...erm, No, its a great game, it has awsome voice acting and Robin should not appear in the game. I mean seriously, you couldn't be any more wrong.

PS: Please, O greatest of idiots, tell me which game this is a "copy" of?

(in reply to ilovebeerme)
Post #: 8
RE: Shame on you... - 9/9/2009 3:43:12 PM   
Deadp00l

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

quote:

This game deserves five stars. I don't care if you like Batman or not this is a fantastic, entertaining game that does whatever you'd want from a Batman game (except Catwoman and Two-face but thats just me). Giving it 4 stars is cruel and unprofessional, this game deserves at least five stars.

4 out of 5 and a glowing review is "cruel and unprofessional"? What?

I mean not giving such a great game 5 stars is cruel and the review is unprofessional. You know...cuz Catwoman is not in the game.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 9
RE: empire gets it wrong again!!!! - 9/9/2009 11:24:54 PM   
ilovebeerme

quote:

...erm, No, its a great game, it has awsome voice acting and Robin should not appear in the game. I mean seriously, you couldn't be any more wrong.

Oh come on now, the voice acting is awful. The Joker sounds like some two-bit, washed up actor that's been relegated into doing voice overs after things didn't quite work out. The less said about the visuals the better; was it programmed in Flash? I've come up with better graphics in Excel. Of course Robin should be in the game - he's the original Batman after all. Batman only took over the top billing following Union issues.

It's quite clearly a copy of any number of games that have gone before it. I mean the similarities are staggering. If I was the producer of any of these games I'd be looking to sue the people who did the Flash programming on Arkham Asylum.

(in reply to Deadp00l)
Post #: 10
RE: empire gets it wrong again!!!! - 10/9/2009 2:30:57 PM   
Deadp00l

Well, that your opinnion. It's completely wrong, but I guess your entitled to it (No matter how stupid, idiotic and imbecilic it is).

How can you criticize the visuals? Have you seen Poison Ivy coming out of her cell? Or Scarecrows costume (By far the greatest incarnation of him ever)? And the voice acting? Just listen to the patient interviews. Mark Hamill is my second favourite Joker after Heath. I mean, just listen to his laughs. He has one for every mood. And Riddler's taunts are just spot on.

And those "Staggering Similarities"? Ok so it's an action game, of course you move with the left stick and look with the right and so on. But it doesnt even have combos! No kicks, no grab no heavy punch just attack. And the predator thing, if you don't enjoy the henchmen's descend into terror, then go play with your Barbies you big girly.

PS: What's with you and Robin? The kid got voted to DIE for God's sake. Why you like a kid dressed in colourful tights doing spreads every...Aaaaaaaah!

quote:

ORIGINAL: ilovebeerme

quote:

Oh come on now, the voice acting is awful. The Joker sounds like some two-bit, washed up actor that's been relegated into doing voice overs after things didn't quite work out. The less said about the visuals the better; was it programmed in Flash? I've come up with better graphics in Excel. Of course Robin should be in the game - he's the original Batman after all. Batman only took over the top billing following Union issues.

It's quite clearly a copy of any number of games that have gone before it. I mean the similarities are staggering. If I was the producer of any of these games I'd be looking to sue the people who did the Flash programming on Arkham Asylum.

Post #: 11
RE: empire gets it wrong again!!!! - 12/9/2009 9:00:48 AM   
ilovebeerme

quote:

Well, that your opinnion. It's completely wrong, but I guess your entitled to it (No matter how stupid, idiotic and imbecilic it is).

How can you criticize the visuals? Have you seen Poison Ivy coming out of her cell? Or Scarecrows costume (By far the greatest incarnation of him ever)? And the voice acting? Just listen to the patient interviews. Mark Hamill is my second favourite Joker after Heath. I mean, just listen to his laughs. He has one for every mood. And Riddler's taunts are just spot on.

And those "Staggering Similarities"? Ok so it's an action game, of course you move with the left stick and look with the right and so on. But it doesnt even have combos! No kicks, no grab no heavy punch just attack. And the predator thing, if you don't enjoy the henchmen's descend into terror, then go play with your Barbies you big girly.

PS: What's with you and Robin? The kid got voted to DIE for God's sake. Why you like a kid dressed in colourful tights doing spreads every...Aaaaaaaah!

The visuals remind me of the original Bomberman games - very poor indeed. They look like they were animated in a real hurry by a one handed programmer. They are ok from the front I suppose but from the back they look terrible. Very blocky.

The game needs a bit of real pizazz, maybe a fishing level or a 'wardrobe' where you can dress Robin up in different outfits. The bit in that room where the riddler is laughing and you have to hit those guys is rubbish.

(in reply to Deadp00l)
Post #: 12
RE: empire gets it wrong again!!!! - 12/9/2009 9:36:52 PM   
Deadp00l

quote:

The visuals remind me of the original Bomberman games - very poor indeed. They look like they were animated in a real hurry by a one handed programmer. They are ok from the front I suppose but from the back they look terrible. Very blocky.

The game needs a bit of real pizazz, maybe a fishing level or a 'wardrobe' where you can dress Robin up in different outfits. The bit in that room where the riddler is laughing and you have to hit those guys is rubbish.

Your a girl, right? This is not a dress-up game. This is an action game. You don't watch the Godfather and say it didn't have enough teenage girls getting a makeover and learning to be themselves. And there is no level where the Riddler laughs and you have to hit those guys. and a Fishing level?! Pizazz!?!?! Now your just yanking my chain.

Post #: 13
RE: empire gets it wrong again!!!! - 13/9/2009 12:14:05 AM   
ilovebeerme

I just hated all the hinges that were everywhere. What's that all about? What the Godfather needed was more cooking tips, like the bit in prison in Goodfellas when he chops up the garlic with a razor. In fact that would have been good in this game too. Kids get really fat playing consoles so, before each level, Batman (or preferably Robin) could lay down a healthy crime fighting recipe for folk. The fishing level would be good in here; go catch 2 salmon and make a nice salad. Not bad eh?

I just think it would be nice to see what they are wearing a bit more. It would increase the tactics involved too. If you could go fight catwoman when dressed as catwoman, in all that tight leather, then she'd get confused and start attacking herself. That'd be awesome. I should probably write these ideas down.

(in reply to Deadp00l)
Post #: 14
RE: empire gets it wrong again!!!! - 13/9/2009 12:04:48 PM   
Pigeon Army

This is priceless. 

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army
Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

Post #: 15
RE: empire gets it wrong again!!!! - 13/9/2009 12:31:39 PM   
Deadp00l

Dude you can easily qualify for a full scholarship into Arkham Asylum. Think about it: Your own private room, the soothing sound of howling lunatics at night, free electric shock treatment, meet plenty of celebrities like Joker and Two Face. Hey, you might even meet your boy wonder.

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 16
RE: empire gets it wrong again!!!! - 13/9/2009 6:20:26 PM   
Deviation

Call me agre becuase I agree with the now Austrailian bastard.

It's so fun calling him that knowing that he won't ban me cause he is no longer green.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Deadp00l)
Post #: 17
RE: empire gets it wrong again!!!! - 14/9/2009 12:21:19 AM   
ilovebeerme

quote:

Dude you can easily qualify for a full scholarship into Arkham Asylum. Think about it: Your own private room, the soothing sound of howling lunatics at night, free electric shock treatment, meet plenty of celebrities like Joker and Two Face. Hey, you might even meet your boy wonder.

Hey, be nice! We're both agreeing that Empire got the review wrong - it's quite clearly a 2 star game. Robin would have bumped it up to 3 star naturally. Actually now that I think about it, they should have had a Superman cameo, an option to play Wolverine and a cut scene with Christopher Walken dancing like in that Fat Boy Slim video.

I can see cracks appearing in your cool exterior. I think you realise that a crime fighting wardrobe would be an excellent addition. At least it would break up the tedious and repetitive game play. It reminds me of Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 (without the rides) crossed with Elite. It's just weird.

The Riddler is dead.

(in reply to Deadp00l)
Post #: 18
RE: Batman: Arkham Asylum - 4/11/2009 9:24:52 PM   
robwillphill

Love Batman? get this game. Don't love Batman? Get this game. No matter what your feelings are about the dark knight, this is a quality game that fits in with the standard of 'The Dark Knight' film itself. Batman fans will indulge in the storyline while others will just enjoy beating the crap out of enemies. This game has stealth and is a welcome change to the typical first-person shooters that seem to be taking over...

9/10

http://youtube.com/audience

Check out my latest films:
- http://youtu.be/Z2zrRi06Rb0
- http://dai.ly/fSojJ3

---------------------------------------------------

Stewie: We're playing house
Lois: But that boy's tied up
Stewie: It's Roman Polanski's house

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 19
RE: empire gets it wrong again!!!! - 3/1/2010 2:24:05 PM   
JimBill93

quote:

quote:

The 'washed up actor' who did the voice work is Mark Hamill, who just happens to be the most popular person to ever voice the character of The Joker. He did the ORIGINAL CARTOONS of Batman, for christ's sake! They brought him back because true Batman fans appreciated his fantastic voice work in the past, and carry on loving it today!

"Jonesy?"

Post #: 20
RE: empire gets it wrong again!!!! - 4/1/2010 5:44:50 PM   
Jules

quote:

ORIGINAL: JimBill93

quote:

quote:

The 'washed up actor' who did the voice work is Mark Hamill, who just happens to be the most popular person to ever voice the character of The Joker. He did the ORIGINAL CARTOONS of Batman, for christ's sake! They brought him back because true Batman fans appreciated his fantastic voice work in the past, and carry on loving it today!

You two really don't get ilovebeerme's sense of humour do you.

Never underestimate the power of denial

(in reply to JimBill93)
Post #: 21
RE: empire gets it wrong again!!!! - 6/1/2010 1:21:38 AM   
jamiesparks

eeek! This game is winging it's way to me as I speak (amaaaaazon!) will let you know my thoughts after it arrives.

Bogs or blogs? Frank, Batty, radio wars...
www.myspace.com/jamie_sparks

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 22
Excellent. Maybe The Best Superhero Game Ever - 24/1/2013 5:44:38 PM   
blaud

There's a lot of problems with superhero games these days, mostly because they seem to be released to coincide with the (usually) dreadful movies, and, as a result, are rushed through production and nearly universally panned everytime. Arkham Asylum however, is based on a classic graphic novel, so developers Rocksteady were able to take their time and craft something worthy of the Batman license, and, in all honesty, they did a pretty good job. Batman is a wonderfully intuitve character to play as, despite the fact that you will occasionally feel you don't have an awful lot of control over him. It's the combat and stealth, however, that really work here. Combat is wonderful fun and beautifully fluid, and stealth is a rewarding and tense experience. The environmet of Arkham is well rendered and I didn't encounter any lag in any environments at all, even when fighting large numbers of enemies. The only reservation I have is that boss battles usually come down to fighting a lot of henchman whilst the actual boss leers from another platform. It does work well, but it's something of a poor design choice, as when I want to fight Harley Quinn or Poison Ivy, I want to FIGHT Harley Quinn and Poison Ivy, not a bunch of people I don't care about. So, unfortunately, Batman, you're stuck with a 4. For what it's worth, though, AA is a fantastic game experience sure to charm Batfans and action enthusiasts everywhere.

Post #: 23
It's Metal Gear Solid all over again - 29/9/2013 4:43:43 AM   
Jericho117

What makes Arkham Asylum so unforgettable?, is it the pitch perfect plotting, rhythm, pacing, the triumphant rising from beginning to end, or is it the way the adventure kicks off. The answer is everything, from opening credits to when the screen goes black, Arkham Asylum is chock full of moments that you will cherish forever. Overall one of the very best interactive experience's ever created.

Post #: 24
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Special Forums] >> Game Reviews >> Batman: Arkham Asylum Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI